This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#115008 June 20th, 2005 at 07:32 AM
pcgrav Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay this is like totally out in left field but I just had to tell this!!! My three year old got her hands on a marks-a-lot permanent marker-BLACK-of course!!! frown :p

Can anybody guess what comes next??? Duh Yep! you got it!! She painted herself, her shoes, and the wall... Well the wall wasn't so bad it only had three small circles on it(her version of graemlins I guess laugh laugh ) but her left arm looked like you had dipped in an ink bottle. Her legs had big black splotches on them...ACCCCK!!

So here I go grabbing the Mr.Clean Magic Eraser-- I swear those thing are miracle workers!!! thumbup clp

It took the marker off the shoes and with a little help from Clorox Cleanup it completely cleaned the wall without destroying the paint and I even got most of the marker off of her with it. But be careful if you rub too hard with it, it will blister...

SOOOOOO- If you've ever wondered if those things were any good--- I'm here to tell ya--YEP!!!

I found out about them by getting a free sample in the mail and when we moved in here a year ago I used it to clean the wall beside the dishwasher where the people before us had splattered food when loading the diswasher.
It worked wonders.....

#115009 June 20th, 2005 at 07:59 AM
I've never tried a Mr. Clean but I'll get one. I've got the Clorox Blean Pen that works well and my husband swears by Greased Lightning.

#115010 June 20th, 2005 at 08:25 AM
Oh golly, pc, I know how the little ones can be with those markers!

When Maxi was 2, one day we were watching his Pooh video and I dozed off. I woke up to find my son sitting in front of the TV with his arms and legs colored orange and black! He was being Tigger!

So my sister bought him an orange and black striped play outfit that he could wear whenever he was feeling Tiggerish. laugh And she started sending him specialty markers....made especially for mirrors, windows, etc. thumbup

But a Mr. Clean pen surely would have come in handy a time or two. Thanks for telling us about it.

Merme

#115011 June 20th, 2005 at 08:27 AM
Oh I love those too- I admit I used one on the grandson - he also likes to color or write on himself and walls if he gets ahold of a pen or marker- which he has done a few times now--- he gets into the older boys school stuff whenever he can.... it took the permanent marker off a wall and off their bed too- we are getting better at not letting him get them so it isn't as often that he becomes Picasso jr.

#115012 June 20th, 2005 at 08:33 AM
Aren't those erasers the greatest?!? I also got my first as a freebie, and I've been buying them eversince!

#115013 June 20th, 2005 at 09:49 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
You wana know what also works? Men's cologne smile It like totally imulsifies perminant ink on anything o.O I use Chris' to clean my whiteboard at college whenever someone decides to write crap on it in Perminant Marker lol. Just be careful with the stuff though, cuz it can totally stink something/someone up, and it eats primer off of concrete walls lol

~Phoebe

#115014 June 20th, 2005 at 09:56 AM
Oh Phoebe, you are the best! thumbup

Now here's my question:

Today I was given a handsome credenza by a friend who really believes in simply neglecting fine pieces of furniture. She doesn't damage things as much as she simply ignores them.

So the credenza arrived looking like a long lost relative who'd been living in a shack for too long or something.

The base of it is attractively fashioned wood and the top is a solid thick piece of slate. The entire unit is shaped like an octagon cut in half.

So I sprayed it down with Murphy's Oil soap and was SHOCKED to see how much black came off on the paper towels. I must've used an entire roll.

But now I'm wondering how best to feed that wood that's been so overlooked for so long? Maybe some Old English? Something with Lemon Oil? A wax of some sort? It looks thirsty and dull to me.

Any suggestions?

Merme

#115015 June 20th, 2005 at 10:00 AM
pcgrav Offline OP
OP Offline
Liquid Gold... Its the best thing for dry wood....

#115016 June 20th, 2005 at 10:10 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Clorox Cleanup
I love that stuff..
I even do some colored towels and stuff
with it...as long as it never SITS on the fabric,
it works GREAT!!!
I love the Color Wipes too!!!

My youngest one likes to do that!!!
All over the table.. *it's a plastic table
like we got at BJ's..the Colox wipes take
the stuff right off..

#115017 June 20th, 2005 at 01:30 PM
well I'm sure glad you got it off of her and everything else! too bad you didn't get any pictures of her though...I bet it was sooo kute! lol

#115018 June 20th, 2005 at 10:29 PM
Tricia - you have no idea how timely this post was -
thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Last night, while studying, my daughter was messing around with a permanent marker, and got it all over her hands. She went tearing through the closets looking for nail polish remover or anything else that might take it off. I calmly told her to try the magic eraser and it did WORK LIKE MAGIC!

So, thanks soooooo much for sharing your experience with us!

#115019 June 20th, 2005 at 11:00 PM
pcgrav Offline OP
OP Offline
You are soooooooo WELCOME!!!!
(Just remember when using it on skin to be careful and not scrub to hard or it will make a sore(kinda like carpet burn) and I washed with a moisturizing soap and applied lotion afterwards. I was scared the cleaner in it would irritate her skin since she is so little but I figure for grownups it should be o.k....

You have no idea how many "cleaning ideas" I've had to come up with in my time...

Like using Lime-a-Way to remove sweat stains from my son's white t-shirts!!! Bleach wouldn't touch it!!!

#115020 June 20th, 2005 at 11:03 PM
pcgrav Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey!! I just thought of something... One of the hostesses should start a place for things like this... You know tried and true proven remedies for mishaps around the house. Things that someone has tried and found works and is okay...That way we could always go and look it up when we need help...

#115021 June 20th, 2005 at 11:22 PM
GREAT idea, pc!

idea

We could call it "Recipes For Disasters!"

laugh

Merme

#115022 June 21st, 2005 at 12:06 AM
pcgrav Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Merme!!!-- I like the title!!! thumbup thumbup

#115023 June 21st, 2005 at 04:55 AM
Nako~~ hairspray does the same thing. I use permanent marker to put the kids' names on things that have been laminated and then use hairspray to take it off. I use it when I get it on my skin also. You can't use it on paint tho, because it'll take the paint right off of whatever it's painted on!!!! Oh...and it smells a little better than cologne that has been used too much! smile wink

#115024 June 21st, 2005 at 08:37 AM
THIS MAGIC ERASER IS ABSOLUTELY, INCREDIBLY THE BEST THING THAT WAS EVER INVENTED!!! thumbup

#115025 June 21st, 2005 at 08:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have got to try this "Magic Eraser"...ya'll definately have me convinced thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn

#115026 June 21st, 2005 at 10:06 AM
pcgrav Offline OP
OP Offline
Looks like I started something Duh lala
laugh laugh

#115027 June 21st, 2005 at 10:08 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered