This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#114059 July 11th, 2005 at 12:43 AM
J
jlo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone-- I'm happy to find a place where I can ask all of my gardening questions in my own language!

I just moved into a cottage-style farmhouse built in 1703 and have a lot of indoor and outdoor landscaping to do. I'm particularly interested in:

- creating indoor spaces that have the feel of outdoor gardens
- planting and landscaping in and around ponds
- any ideas that will make my outdoor garden like my house: a lovely, old, slightly wild-looking sanctuary with plenty of interesting nooks and crannies to escape to

I'm looking forward to poking through the archives and asking for advice. ;-)

#114060 July 11th, 2005 at 01:36 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
wavey Hey jlo and welcome to the forum I am sure you can find what you want here. We have members from around the world England,Norway, Isreal etc. somewone will have the help you need might help to post a photo of your house so we can get an idea of what to advise you. We have a Water garden section you might want to check out.
again Welcome to the gardenhelper forum. I live in texas but will help anyway I can. glad to see someone from Germany.
Jimmy

#114061 July 11th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi there jlo, welcome to the fourm....I'm sure you'll find a lot of info--and if you don't find what you want exactly, then ask away....There are always friendly people that try to help answer any questions that are asked.....

Glad to have you here--hope to see you around often....

Laura

#114062 July 11th, 2005 at 07:19 AM
I spent 27 months in (West) Berlin back in the late '70's. Been back in Germany twice since then.

Germany is the most beautiful county I have ever seen.

#114063 July 11th, 2005 at 11:54 AM
P
P
Hi jlo,

Welcome to The Grdener's Forum.

Like Amigatec, I used to live in Germany [Southern Bavaria] for 8 years. May I ask where your farmhouse is located? I miss Germany and would love to visit whenever I can.

#114064 July 11th, 2005 at 03:47 PM
Hi jlo, wavey
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you.
[Linked Image]

#114065 July 11th, 2005 at 06:56 PM
J
jlo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Wow, thanks to everyone for all your welcomes!

For Papito and the rest of you who are familiar with Germany, my farmhouse is located in Ratingen. That is just outside of D��sseldorf in the German state of Nordrhein-Westfalia. It is part of an old "Gut" (working farm estate) that is now a horse boarding and training facility. The house itself has a uniquely rustic "old Europe" flavor, with much of the original 1700s plank flooring, hand-hewn doors, handmade iron hinges, etc. It is post and beam construction with a brick facade and interior walls constructed of lime and straw interwoven with twigs (apparently a common building technique in that era). Everything about the house has sort of warped and twisted with age, which really adds to its character. There are some amazing areas of exposed brickwork, exposed wood framing, and such. It has a good sized garden area that is mostly overgrown and needs a lot of work, which is half the fun. At the end of the garden is a huge pond (about 70 ft. x 40ft) complete with two duck families. A very fun, funky, charming place, to say the least! And an endless project.

#114066 July 13th, 2005 at 09:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

Happy to have you with us!

My husband was born in Neustadt,Germany. He lived there for 13 years before immigrating to the U.S. He still has Aunts,Uncles and a brother in Germany.

G-Mom grinnnn

#114067 July 13th, 2005 at 09:28 PM
jlo,

Hello from a canuck and welcome to the forum where you ll always find a friend and an answer.

your house sound like a dream for someone interested in history like me.do you know anything about the previou owners.

for now no particular ideas worth mentioning for your garden but if it comes to me(not the garden,the ideas.haha,bad joke sorry)i ll keep you posted.

have a good day.

crazy franny.

#114068 July 14th, 2005 at 07:46 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi & Welcome,

I to spent time in Germany in the 70's. Lord that was a while ago wasn't it? We love pictures here and hope you are able to put up a link with lots of them.

The one thing I've learned about indoor gardens is that lighting requirements are very important. Once you have that licked your most of the way to having exactly what you want. Also low level light plants are a good bet. The Cast Iron plant is able to do with very little light for instance.

Can't wait to hear all about your plans and ideas.

#114069 July 14th, 2005 at 08:07 PM
Hi from SC, jlo! Hope to see progress pictures when you get started! grinnnn

Dianna

#114070 July 14th, 2005 at 09:22 PM
P
P
Jlo,

If I am still in Germany, I wouldn't mind driving 620+km. from Munich to Ratingen to see your "old Europe" flavored farmhouse. I grew up in a farm and just love the atmosphere.

I do have friends in GE, the closest one to you is in Hannover.

#114071 July 15th, 2005 at 03:53 AM
U
uki Offline
U
wavey Hi Jlo,welcome to he forum,I was born in Germany,Freiburg and came to Canada 17 years ago,still missing the Black Forrest. flw

#114072 July 15th, 2005 at 06:19 AM
wavey welcome!

Link Copied to Clipboard