This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#113852 November 17th, 2005 at 11:23 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Sure Merme...you can roast half a bird. If it is to much for you for a meal simply divide it in the portions that work for you and freeze the rest. I sometimes make dressing and use left over turkey or chicken and just chunk it in with the dressing...cover with gravy, add a side dish and boom...a meal done. You could also slice it, serve over toast with gravy and mashed potatoes for a open faced hot turkey sandwich. Then there is always turkey tetrazinni...and I use left over turkey instead of chicken in my chicken spaghetti...hope this helps!

#113853 November 17th, 2005 at 11:34 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
What is with Rachel and her EVOO? I don't know why this bugs me but...I think maybe I watch the Food Network too often.
Christina...I keep my little TV on the cooking channel all of the time...I don't "watch" it a lot unless something pops out at me...but I listen to it all day. The thing that bugs me about these cooking shows...HAIR!!! These gals that are in the kitchen without tieing their hair back! It drives me batty! I have a real peeve about long hair in the kitchen...it HAS to be tied back!!! I thought that was just common knowledge...

#113854 November 17th, 2005 at 11:51 PM
What about your pot roasts? Do you add everything under the sun and just let it go endlessly? I love to pull all the vegetables out when they are so browned a bit and can be smushed down on the plate with your fork and then the drippings spooned over top. I think I actually like the vegetables better than the meat -- or at least I will eat lots of them but am satisfied with a small serving of the roast itself.
Merme...man, I had almost forgotten how darn good those potaotes and carrots are when they're browned like that! I started varying my recipes for variety, and got real fond of SUFFOCATING my roast with onions, bell pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, and sometimes portobello mushrooms. Drizzle olive oil and red wine over it all.
I've also used poblano chiles...WOW! But you can't beat those potatoes and carrots, and I use the drippings to make a gravy to pour over it all! thumbup

#113855 November 18th, 2005 at 12:14 AM
I don't think I've ever tried making a gravy, though I do like to use the drippings that are left over after I make Yorkshire Puddings. Now that you've mentioned it, the idea of a gravy sounds wonderful.

Do you use a gravy mix or from scratch?

I've never eaten a portobello mushroom. Are they the really big ones?

Merme

#113856 November 18th, 2005 at 12:24 AM
I've never eaten a portobello mushroom. Are they the really big ones?
Yes, Merme, the big, dark ones. They're awesome, and I think no-carb. Toss some in with your next roast, or just saute sliced with butter, garlic and a little wine. Many people use them as a meat substitute, such as in portobello parmesan!
As for my gravy, I need to make it again and write down what I do. I promised Vanessa once that I would post my recipe, but then I realized that I don't even know exactly what I do! nutz
I simmer the drippings at a low boil, add some flower mixed with just a little water. That's basically it, I just have to do it by feel, and cook til it thickens. I always a some red wine to my gravy, if I have it.

#113857 November 18th, 2005 at 12:31 AM
Oh, and some people like to use cornstarch as a thickener. And, although I usually do my gravy in a pan, some people actually do it on the stovetop in the pan they cooked either roast or turkey in. This works great for turkey gravy. You can also pour off the drippings, esp. with turkey, and add to broth made with the neck and giblets. Heat the roasting pan on the stove briefly and "de-glaze" with some wine, or a little broth, stir to loosen all the brown bits, and add this to the broth (stock). Keep the whole mess at a low boil and add thickener a little at a time. I never feel confident making gravy, but It USUALLY comes out nice!

#113858 November 18th, 2005 at 12:34 AM
Duh! frown One more thing and I'm done. I use a little soy sauce in my turkey gravy. Okay, one more thing...when you're boiling the neck/giblets, add some finely chopped celery and onion. Anyone here add sliced egg in their turkey gravy? I don't.

#113859 November 18th, 2005 at 12:43 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
I do...more for the wierd looks it recieves than anything else. laugh

My grandma always put a sliced boiled egg in the gravy, along with itty bitty bits of the giblets...so the egg served as a warning to me...watch out for the small mysterious chunks!

#113860 November 18th, 2005 at 12:47 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Anyone here add sliced egg in their turkey gravy?
Yep...I'm a fan of the boiled egg in the gravy! We also add sliced boiled egg in spinach. Can't give you a logical reason why..except that's the way Grandma did it..so it doesn't look right to me with out the egg!
Barley...the chopped giblets are my favorite part of the gravy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#113861 November 18th, 2005 at 12:51 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
All of us grandkids just accepted the dodging of the giblets as a holiday tradtion...and thought nothing of it. The first few holidays with the grandkid's new girlfreinds/boyfreinds/spouces...no one thought to mention it to the "new people"...heheeee

Mike made a comment once, in front of everyone "why are you picking things out of the gravy?" We all looked at him and said "uh, 'cause it's turkey guts?"

All the "new people" at the table turned all sorts of funny colors! laugh

#113862 November 18th, 2005 at 12:57 AM
Barley...the chopped giblets are my favorite part of the gravy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me too, Vanessa! Do you make your gravy basically the way I do? wink

#113863 November 18th, 2005 at 01:12 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Do you make your gravy basically the way I do?
Yep..I usually use corn starch, but only because I cook a lot for a friend who can't have any flour products. Of course in my pepper gravy (white gravy) you have to use flour...and pork chop drippings are my favorite gravy makin drippings. thumbup

#113864 November 18th, 2005 at 01:52 AM
I use cornstarch as well. Can't really tell you why but I guess I saw my mother do it when I was younger so I do the same.
Merme, Peppereater was bang on with how to make gravy. Just remove your roast and fixings from the pan and put the pan right on the stovetop burner. Let it reduce down about a 1/4 while scraping all the goodies from the sides and bottom, skim any unwanted fat...I leave some fat..fat=flavour. Then mix a little cornstarch and water and add to it to get your desired thickness. You shouldn't have to season at all, the gravy will be full of flavour!!

#113865 November 18th, 2005 at 02:08 AM
I'm am going to try gravy AND portobello mushrooms now! Thanks, guys!

By the way, don't ANY of you make Yorkshire Pudding with your roasts?

And... peppereater, please tell us your real name. I feel like you've been living in my kitchen for some weeks now and I'd like to be introduced further....

laugh laugh

Oh, and... why don't you have a signature button yet? Bill has got gadzillions of cool photos to choose from!

Merme

#113866 November 18th, 2005 at 08:58 AM
OP Offline
I use milk instead of water in my gravy. I thicken with flour, bring it to a boil, then add milk.

#113867 November 18th, 2005 at 09:24 AM
Sheri ~ I like milk in my gravy also. Particularly evaporated milk or half & half.

And I use flour unless I am making a clear gravy like for tomatoe gravy, then I use cornstarch.

Merme

#113868 November 18th, 2005 at 09:31 AM
OP Offline
There you go with the half and half again. laugh

#113869 November 18th, 2005 at 09:39 AM
I KNEW you were gonna say something like that, Sheri! I thought: hey, we've come full circle in only 89,000 posts -- or so!

Merme

#113870 November 18th, 2005 at 09:40 AM
OP Offline
What goes around comes around. I've gotten some good pointers from this little post. Thank you Rachel Ray.

#113871 November 18th, 2005 at 11:24 PM
And... peppereater, please tell us your real name. I feel like you've been living in my kitchen for some weeks now and I'd like to be introduced further....
It's Dave wavey

#113872 November 18th, 2005 at 11:30 PM
Oh, and... why don't you have a signature button yet? Bill has got gadzillions of cool photos to choose from!
Sorry, Merme, I just haven't explored all the options yet! I only just figured out that the quote option only comes up when I click Full Reply Form! Duh nutz

#113873 November 18th, 2005 at 11:32 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
WEl howdy Dave!!!

On the gravy talk...I sometimes use heavy cream instead of milk. I rarely ever use half & half for anything. But I don't use milk or cream for my roast gravy or tomatoe gravy...usually just stock & water. I LOVE tomatoe gravy, always have it with meatloaf or stuffed bell peppers!!! Hubby likes chocolate gravy for breakfast a lot...something grandma use to make for us when we were little kidlets.

I am anxiously awaiting my deer backstrap that is on it's way here...that will be supper tonight I'm sure!!!! I am salivating just thinking about it!

#113874 November 18th, 2005 at 11:39 PM
I only use milk for white gravy like you serve on biscuits or mashed taters. Do any of you use it in turkey gravy? I didn't know anyone did that. Duh I like to fry hamsteak sometimes, but I don't have redeye gravy down. Any suggestions?

#113875 November 19th, 2005 at 12:45 AM
Originally posted by peppereater:
Sorry, Merme, I just haven't explored all the options yet! I only just figured out that the quote option only comes up when I click Full Reply Form!

Hi Dave ~ wavey

Actually, there are other options for quoting.

See the little quote icon at the top of all posts?

If you click on that, it will open a screen with the entire post quoted. You just delete what you con't want, making sure to leave all the quote dohickey's intanct before and after the part you do want.

Then just scroll down and type what you want to add.

This will give you a quote with the person's name above it.

You can also copy & paste, but I always find that a bit tedious, though others prefer it.

Merme

#113876 November 19th, 2005 at 12:59 AM
I love to copy and paste! I feel like I'm sniffing glue! clp

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard