This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113766 December 19th, 2005 at 09:54 PM
F
OP Offline
F
We are on day # 5 here without power....
You may be asking how i don't have power if i'm online!?!? Do you hear the sound of my generator????? shocked
It's still boring because i can't work - house i was working on has no power either..... mad

My solution: Go fishing!!!! I went saturday and sunday- froze my a$$ off on saturday, but sunday was terrific. The fish were very active...

Oh, i did some cooking while sitting around the house... Made a mince meat pie (my favorite). U see me salivating?? laugh

Hope everyone has a good week!

#113767 December 19th, 2005 at 10:16 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Bob...our power was out for 2 weeks several years ago and I thought I was going to go nuts. That's when I got so bored I made huge snow sculptures all over the yard! laugh

What kind of fish were you fishing for?
Do you have walleye there? That's my favorite to catch! grinnnn

Hope your power gets fixed soon.

Cindy Faye

#113768 December 19th, 2005 at 10:48 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi Cindy- being without power for 2 weeks would be a LONG time! I believe i would make a trip to Florida if i knew my power was going to be off that long!!!
Building snow sculptures sounds like fun too! It would be great if we could see some snow around Christmas Day!

It hasn't snowed here yet this year, but we did get the ice. It melted after the 2nd day but the damage is horrendous! There is a tract of land near mine that has hundreds, maybe thousands of pines laying on the ground. Many just snapped half way up the tree; so, there are just trunks standing.
Not much damage to my trees (i cut all the pines down years ago), but i do have a few oaks with some limbs broken and some cammelias (sp?) that were damaged or bent over.

I fish mainly for bass on Lake Keowee. There are basically 3 kinds of bass there: smallmouth, largemouth, and spotted bass. I catch mostly spotted bass (they look much like largemouth bass). This is the time of year that i fish the the most. The fish are very active and there is a lot of schooling. In the winter i troll and "stalk" for fish... ;-)

Because of the warm water here in SC (during the summer months), there are not any walleye, but about 50 miles to the north of me (in NC), i think there is a lake that has walleye.
growing up in Vermont, i know about walleye fishing. I used to troll for walleye on Lake Champlain. Matter of fact, i think the last walleye i caught up there was over 5 lbs! Lots of fun!

#113769 December 19th, 2005 at 10:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob.... wavey That's terrible that you are without power, thankfully at least you have your generator. kissies

#113770 December 19th, 2005 at 11:39 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
It hasn't snowed here yet this year, but we did get the ice. It melted after the 2nd day but the damage is horrendous! There is a tract of land near mine that has hundreds, maybe thousands of pines laying on the ground. Many just snapped half way up the tree; so, there are just trunks standing.
I know exactly what you're talking about there. Back in '93 we had an ice storm like that. I was down in my sign shop working about midnight when it started...and the sound of the icey rain hitting my tin roof was LOUD...I went outside and within minutes my little pines that were about 5 feet tall were all bent over with a thick layer of ice on them...I just about became an ice sculpture that night...trying to shake the ice off those little trees. I lived at my farm then in the middle of 70 acres, and I could hear trees snapping in half all around me. Our power was out for 13 days that time. Thank God we had wood/coal stoves in 3 rooms.

In the winter i troll and "stalk" for fish... ;-)
I'm a stalker! laugh
...nothing like that feeling of trolling sooo slow, then you feel like your lure is caught on a log or something, thumbup

#113771 December 20th, 2005 at 01:00 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
We do not get snow here much either...just ice! In 2000 we had the worse ice storm ever...without power for 2 weeks...that will make you invest in a generator for sure! We were lucky that we had gas heat and cook stove...so we stayed warm and could cook and heat water for bathing.
I ended up cooking for the shelter that had up to 300 people in it that were with heat. We cooked 3 meals a day...so we didn't get to sleep much. They had the National Guard come in to make house checks and inforce the curfew...they would bring food to the house and then pick it up to take to the shelter...it was unreal. I remember the night of the ice storm so vividly...it sounded like a war zone and with all of the lights out...you couldn't see what in the world was happening...
Bob...hope you get power on soon!

~V~

#113772 December 20th, 2005 at 01:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your power Bob! We had a huge ice storm back 2000 that was like what you were talking about, trees down every where, ice everywhere and we were without power for 10 days. Here where I live in Arkansas we rarely get snow, even though we have already had a small snow fall a few weeks back, we mainly get ice storms, which is in my opinion much worse then a snow storm. The good thing is that the ice usually never last more then a week normally, once it was around for 2 weeks. During ice times I just stay at home.

#113773 December 20th, 2005 at 02:19 AM
Bob, Hope the power comes back soon, but to be able to just go fishing is a good thing. Love bass fishing!

#113774 December 20th, 2005 at 08:06 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I appreciate all the sympathy!!! Some very nice people! Duh I can't stand "hanging" around the the house all day and night. I could always go fishing again... laugh

#113775 December 20th, 2005 at 08:10 AM
I opt for fishing!

Link Copied to Clipboard