This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113660 February 28th, 2003 at 04:55 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Would anyone be able to tell me how to find out what nutrients are in certain compostable materials?
For example: what percentages of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium - and other stuff - does coffee grounds have? What percentages of N,P,K do eggshells have? etc. . .
I know the basics, like green stuff is generally high in Nitrogen while brown is high in Carbon.
Is there a chart or other good reference somewhere?

Also still looking for a more definite answer as to what commercial fertilizer is made from - petrochemicals?

Tks.

#113661 April 8th, 2003 at 06:24 PM
C
C
About the composition of Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium in those lovely household items for the compost; Coffee is N-2.0, Ph-.4, and Po-.7. I am not sure about eggshells, however. There is a great book by Mel Bartholomew titled "Square Foot Gardening". He discussed the benefits of composting and also touches a bit on commercial fertilizers. You may find some of you answers ther. Good luck

#113662 April 10th, 2003 at 04:44 AM
G
G
I know the perfect book for you. I got it at my local library and it lists the exact things you are looking for in detail. It is called "The Rodale Book of Composting" Easy Methods for Every Gardener. It lists seven pages of various materials and their compositions. It goes so far as jellyfish and crabs. It also has eggs etc. It is a very detailed book about the science of composting but easy enough for home gardeners to follow. I also found another book very helpful but less detailed in what you are looking for "Let it Rot" by Stu Campbell. Good luck. This is my first year of composting. laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard