This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11318 June 22nd, 2003 at 06:31 AM
Ronni Offline OP
OP Offline
Still battling the little buggers! I've researched this extensively. I'm trying not to use any chemicals. And I've hardly seen any--maybe my flashlight's not bright enough. I just see the evidence of their existence--holes in the leaves.

Here are my questions:

Salt kills 'em, but how about pouring a ring of salt around each plant?

I saw a vague reference to oats, or oat bran or something like that. Can I use oatmeal? Do I surround the plants with it?

I'm growing morning glories--the lower leaves are being eaten, but as it moves up my porch, the higher ones are untouched. Can't the little pests climb?

Dampened dog food as bait? If I use it, do I put it in a shallow container, or straight on the soil? Will it harm the surrounding plants for it to get into the soil?

Thanks!

Ronni

#11319 June 22nd, 2003 at 06:35 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'd like to hear more about this too...I really don't want to use chemicals either.....some of my plants look awful because of all of the holes---I have come across a few slugs while I was out looking, aghhh they drive me nuts.......I never realized how bad they were!!!!! It makes me so mad to see some of by beautiful flowers practically demolished..... mad

#11320 June 22nd, 2003 at 06:51 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
This is not always the case, as sometimes, it can be cutter bees, they take a bit of the foliage for what I have no idea.
(food or den supplies??)
And just yesterday on one of my tomatoes I saw a little black bug doing the same thing.
Tiny holes of course. I have never seen this bug before. And I guess not all bugs are native to all parts..?????...

Ronni,
I'm not sure about that salt thing around your plants, SALT KILLS plants, my neighbor and father also always put salt on the driveways to kill weeds..................
So I don't think I'd personally do the salt thing!!!

Maybe pull some of the lower hole ridden leaves and see if that cleans them up a bit, if they can't get up that high.
Of course I've found them up pretty high on my Hollyhock's.

Diatomatious Earth is sometning, not sure of the expense......................

Let us know the out come!!
Weezie wink

#11321 June 22nd, 2003 at 11:59 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Hi Bonni, If you're having trouble finding your slugs at night, wander around the garden barefooted for a while..... You'll find them! laugh

Salt is definately bad for the flowers. I salt my slugs sometimes, but try to make sure every grain lands on sluggy. (slugs deserve this horrible death! grrrrrrrr.... ) mad

Slugs go just about anywhere... I've found them 20 feet up in a tree (the hard way)! :p

I don't know anything about the oats or dogfood, but I'm sure they would only compost into the soil so they're probably safe as far as the plants go. wink

I don't like using chemicals myself, but a few of my cooler plants are slug magnets, so I resort to using a small circle of Deadline around them. Sometimes ya just gotta do whatever it takes! shocked

#11322 June 22nd, 2003 at 01:43 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
OMG....nobody likes a slug. Here are some tips on slug control....

*Water only in the mornings, this seems to decrease the number of slugs attracted to the garden.

*Encourage reptiles to take up residence in your garden. Toads, turtles and snakes all prey on slugs.

*If you see evidence of these pests avoid dense groundcovers and mulches that provide a hiding place. Oak leaf mulch will deter slugs and snails.

*Handpick slugs and snails at night. Use a flashlight, and drop them into a bucket of soapy water.

*Lay boards in the garden to trap slugs and snails. Check your trap early in the morning and remove the slugs and snails as they collect.

*Diatomaceous earth sprinkled around the base of the stems will deter slugs and snails, but keep in mind that it will also discourage beneficial insects.

*Drench the soil with wormwood tea.

*Line the garden with copper strips. Slugs receive a shock when they touch copper, and they will not cross the barrier. When using this method, make sure you trap the slugs OUT and not IN.

*Slugs love beer. Bury a shallow container of beer in the garden, with just the lip above the ground. When they go in for a drink, they will drown.

*Some say a ring of crushed egg shells around your plants will help keep them away...as it rips at their tender bellies when they try to crawl over it.

*And yes....salt does work....but it needs to be replaced often and there is much leaching in the soil that may not be a good idea.

Good luck
Barb
barbsblooms@shaw.ca

#11323 June 22nd, 2003 at 07:48 PM
Hi Ronni
I can relate to the slug/snail problem, as my gardens are a slug & snail vacation paradise! Back in the days when I started these gardens, I neglected to check with the little fellas to see what their favorite treats were, and since I have some areas of shade gardens, of course I planted all their favorite foods! I try to stay away from chemical treatments, as most of them state that they can be poisonous to pets (and I assume small children). This year I learned of a new "natural" remedy, and gave it a try. First of all, let me warn you that I'm known amongst the neighbors here as have some of the strangest gardening techniques they've ever seen! (but my gardens look better than almost all of theirs wink ) Anyway, try sprinkling used coffee grounds around the plants that are being attacked. Yes, I DID say coffee grounds! Supposedly, the slugs eat the grounds, and the caffeine affects their nervous system, causing them to die. poor babies...not! I tested this by using the grounds around most of my plants that were being eaten, but left a few untreated. I could see the slug "trails" going to the coffee, but the plants were left alone. The untreated plants kept being eaten, but only until I put the coffee around them. I now use coffee grounds around any and all of the plants that slugs like (that means most of them, slugs aren't too picky about what they eat) and everything looks great! BTW, if you're worried about adding too much acid to your soil, tests have been done that show that when coffee is brewed, the acid goes into the coffee, leaving very little in the grounds. Luckily, I have a very good friend who owns a restaurant, so I have access to alot of used grounds, but I've been told that Starbucks, etc., will save grounds for anyone who asks. Just drop off your bucket in the morning and pickup that afternoon smile Couldn't be easier! You might want to try it and see if it helps.

Nikkal

p.s. I know those neighbors are trying my "tricks", probably under cover of darkness, hoping no one will catch them! laugh

#11324 June 22nd, 2003 at 07:56 PM
F
F
There's that idea of copper again... Wonder if copper wire would work?

#11325 June 22nd, 2003 at 08:19 PM
You know, I've talked to folks who use the copper strips and swear by them, say it works every time, and I've also talked to folks who say they've tried it with no effect at all. Wonder if there's a certain way, size, type of copper? that works? I've never tried it myself. Maybe different strokes for different...slugs??? confused frown

Nikkal

#11326 June 23rd, 2003 at 03:00 AM
Ronni Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks you all very much for all your suggestions.
Nikkal, I've never heard of the coffee grounds thing before in relation to slugs/snails, but I'm certainly willing to give it a try. I'll let y'all know what happens!

Ronni

#11327 June 23rd, 2003 at 03:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Coffee grounds??? I've always heard that they help plants grow somehow, but never heard of them to ward off slugs....hmmm, sounds interesting....thanks for the tip, I am going to try this out tonight and see what happens..... wink

#11328 June 24th, 2003 at 02:27 AM
Ronni Offline OP
OP Offline
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill:
[QB]Hi Bonni, ....."

Is this payback for my "double dunce" confused mistake of the other day? wink

Are we feeling vengeful, FRED?

laugh laugh

(B)onni

#11329 June 24th, 2003 at 04:53 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Originally posted by Ronni:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill:
[QB]Hi Bonni, ....."

Is this payback for my "double dunce" confused mistake of the other day? wink

Are we feeling vengeful, FRED?

laugh laugh

(B)onni

Vengeful??? Oh, heck no.... I'm just plain ol' mean and nasty!

laugh laugh laugh cool

#11330 July 1st, 2003 at 07:09 AM
Hi Ronni

How goes the war with the slugs?? Hope you're winning! Copper strips have been mentioned here, and I happened to be visiting a website this morning with some pretty good info on them. (Size, placement, maintenance, etc) It's true that copper retains a small electric charge which is transferred to the snail or slug when they try to cross it. The strips must be checked daily and cleaned of debris because - get this - the slugs and snails will use any available leaves, sticks, etc. to build a "bridge" across the copper! Smart little #$&@*s! Anyway, the website is P. Allen Smith's Gardens

There are also links on this page to other tips about slugs.

For anyone who's interested, there are lots of gardening tips on this site, on many different subjects. P. Allen Smith is the "garden man" on the Weather Channel (yes, I actually "watch" the Weather Channel shocked gotta get a life) and he also has a gardening show on Public tv.

Okay, I'm gonna stop sounding like this guy's agent and go to work now!

Nikkal

p.s. If for some reason the link doesn't work, do a search for pallensmith.com on Google, click on "Seasonal Tips", and it will take you to the articles

#11331 July 1st, 2003 at 07:48 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I love that guy!!!
Well, not personally!

But he's got alot of good info.

I love Elliot Coleman and Barbara Demaraush(sp) if life would cease to exsist as it was and you had to forage for your food etc. Those two people are the ones that I want for my neighbors.... They garden in the Vermont area I think it is and extend the season 2 fold. And then they root cellar their items, can, freeze, etc. and build portable greenhouses and cook all sorts of stuff with their food.
And compost!!!!!!!!!!!

That's my two cents worth!!!!

P.S. And Mel Bartholomew "Gardening by the Square Foot" I think his book is............
And Companion Planting by the Rodale series..

Weezie wink laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard