This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113291 October 1st, 2004 at 07:29 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I have a wonderful cedar tree. It's not short and scrubby like most cedars around here (Texas). The other day my dogs chased a cat up the tree and then proceeded to strip the trunk of it's bark. Practically all of it. I called two nurseries. One said to paint it. The other (an organic nursery) said don't paint it- instead put mulch with some good organic compounds around the bottom and pray. I thought I'd check and see if there were any ideas here. Or maybe just if any one has any ideas on whether it will survive or not. It's one of my favorite trees. It'll be very sad if it doesn't make it. eek

#113292 October 2nd, 2004 at 01:39 AM
It depends how deeply the bark has been torn away. If the tough outer layer is all that's been damaged it should be OK. If the next layer that supplies the tree with its nutrient, (i think it's called the cambium layer) is completely gone you could be in trouble. Painting damage is to prevent fungus getting into the tree and is generally discounted by modern methods as it may prevent the damage from drying and scabbing as well as it may have. I'm inclined to agree with the mulch and feed suggestion though if the growing season for the tree is over i'd go easy on the feeding.

#113293 October 5th, 2004 at 09:13 AM
N
N
I'm with Longy. I'd say mulch and pray. Painting only allows moisture and critters to get into the tree and can't be seen.

Newt

Link Copied to Clipboard