This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Meg Offline OP
OP Offline
This was taken from my kitchen window.. so it's not as close up as I'd like. This is one of the more all black bird that we have here.. it does have some kind of irridescent coloring on it's front.

[Linked Image]

R
R
Probably a Starling. They are common all over WV. They are black with a shiny, greenish-bluish coloring.

L
L
Hi,
The bird in the picture looks like a GRACKLE to me.

Dave

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Its a Grackle, although that slite rusty cast to the feathers can be indicative of a Rusty Blackbird although they are not commonly found this far east.
The tail is MUCH too long to be a Starling's and the body shape and posture is not that of a Starling's, but fits Common Grackle's or Rusty Blackbird's perfectly. Check these birds pictures in Google Image Search.

Male Common Grackle
[Linked Image]

R
R
Long-tailed Starling of the type I am used to seeing in WV.

Glossy Starling

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Just outta curiousity sake.....

In the picture that was last posted,
Is it a boy or girl???

And would that be a factor in identifing
the one in the original post?

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
The picture I posted of a Grackle by the water is probably a male although both sexes in Grackles are similar. Female Grackles, as in most female birds, tend to be duller and less colorful.

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That glossy starling sure is pretty.

R
R
Male Starling. In my last post.

I am not saying that is it for sure. But the irridescent comment brought it to mind.

They are so numerous in WV, that it is open season on them all year.

HOWEVER, I do NOT condone the killing of any birds.

thank you

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Meg I think that's a good one to get identified see you even get a choice of two different kinds of birds this time.

I can't even get a picture of my catbird. Neither of them will sit still and I have to get within 5 feet with the community camera.

I wish they would eat more though. I still have gobs of ants. If they would just invite their extended family I might get a handle on the bugs.

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Meg...
If I ever find my bird I.D. book I'll send it to you.

Cindy

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have TONS and TONS of those same birds around here too meg.....with a sort of irridescent head and front...blueish green.....They are seriously everywhere...They sure do look a lot like that glossy starling.....

Whatever they are, they are the birds that nested in my birdhouse this spring....they are kind of like pests around here and I was disappointed that we didn't get a pretty bird.....LOL That's okay though, I do like all birds and was just happy to have something nesting in my birdhouse.

M
M
Looks like a grackle to me also... they are such a nuisance to the smaller birds, always scaring them away. When it makes noise, does it puff up and let out a shreek? If so then it's surely a grackle.

We had a bunch this spring but thankfully they eventually left!

Link Copied to Clipboard