This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11094 May 4th, 2003 at 03:56 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Hello to all, I'm new on this board and would like opinions and experience. I no longer can garden like you all and this year I'm trying something new to me. I planted some bulbs such as tulips, crocus and calla lillies in pots. So far, the tulips are up about 4-6 inches and iris that are bulbs which are just about coming through. The calla lillies started to grow and then browned up. The crocus just about grew so little but are healthy. Would this be because I planted them this spring? These were bulbs I purchased last fall and they were out in the storage room all winter and were shooting this spring in the bags. Will they be ok for winter if left in containers and placed in the storage room? eek all

#11095 May 8th, 2003 at 04:43 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello!!! I have a possible answer...... Normally those types of bulbs might have been planted in the fall and then would establish roots until winter hit. Then in the spring they wake up and push up the greenery and then the flower, their cycle maybe just off kilter...??? Have to root and do the work of spring stuff too!!! Also the dirt may have been a factor.... Did you use potting soil or regular garden dirt or????? Could be a factor....Also those bulbs need a cold period to kick them into action and say to them wake up!!!! If you kept them in another area until you planted them they may not have gotten the correct signal to grow right.
May I ask what the reason is for "Not gardening like others"? May be I can help you with some sites to visit!!!!!
Another thing I just discovered, Just this spring is something I'm still experimenting on but I watch the QVC shopping channel a bit and on there they have something called "Spray-n-grow"~ micronutrient spray and it seems to be very nice extra boost some plants need. You mix it up with warm water, let it sit for 15 minutes and spray the leaves with it and it seems to give the plants an extra helping hand...It's all natural and is not too pricey!!!
Let me know if anything helped or if I can help with some sites to visit.
Weezie wink

Link Copied to Clipboard