This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#110915 November 29th, 2005 at 12:18 AM
OP Offline
Hey you guys, I've noticed that some new members post questions that go unanswered. That has to be discouraging. For instance, there was a question in houseplants from a "Froglady" that was posted in May, and the only reply was from "CelenaOO56" on the 23rd of this month, over 6 months later! I noticed that Froglady never posted again, we all may have lost a gardening friend! Duh kissies teech

#110916 November 29th, 2005 at 01:09 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
That's a good point, Norman. thumbup

If I hadn't gotten any answers to my maple tree question I posted when I started here, I probably wouldn't be here right now.

The reason you don't see me up in the top forums answering questions is because I don't know any answers. shocked I'm an "ASKER" here myself, and have rarely been able to answer anyone's questions. But, you brought up a very good point, and from now on I will cruise up there and if a question isn't answered, I'll find a link on this site that will help, and post it.

Thanks!

Cindy Jo

#110917 November 29th, 2005 at 01:19 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Cindy! And don't underestimate what you know. For instance, I don't know how to post a link. I know a LOT about plants and gardening, but I feel humbled when I see how much others here know. Also, there are times when I start off a reply with, "I don't know much about this, but..." and then I start spilling the beans, and realize I knew more than I thought. teech

#110918 November 29th, 2005 at 01:24 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
I think all of us do cruise through the rest of the forum. I know I do!

Sometimes though, someone asks about something I have NO experiance with, and rather than steer them wrong, I leave it unanswered in hopes that more will read it, because it has not been answered. I figure that ups it's chances of being seen by the "right" person.

Sound logical? Duh

#110919 November 29th, 2005 at 01:39 AM
OP Offline
Good point, Barley. Yet, if a few days go by, sometimes a post will get shunted to page 2 of a forum, and not be noticed again. Duh
If you know where someone might look for help, you could steer them in the right direction.

#110920 November 29th, 2005 at 02:04 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Thank you Norman! I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said......

Thank you, Cindy! And don't underestimate what you know.
Cindy Lou.... how many times have you given me that "I don't know anything" line of ****? How many Peonies do you have that bloom perfectly year after year? Mine won't bloom! Obviously you know what it takes to grow Peonies, but I sure don't! You know a LOT more than you are letting on!

But, you brought up a very good point, and from now on I will cruise up there and if a question isn't answered, I'll find a link on this site that will help, and post it.
That works too! A lot of the questions that get asked by new members were already asked and answered a long time ago, either on the forum or on my pages...

Sometimes though, someone asks about something I have NO experiance with, and rather than steer them wrong, I leave it unanswered in hopes that more will read it, because it has not been answered.
I miss a lot of questions that are directed solely to me at times. Luckily I have 4 beautiful hostesses who run over and poke me with a stick to get my attention.
If you see a question you can't answer, try to think of someone on the forum who might know... poke 'em with a stick and let them know where their brain is needed!

Yet, if a few days go by, sometimes a post will get shunted to page 2 of a forum, and not be noticed again.
We try to keep unanswered Qs moved "up" (Weezie does a great job of that!) but its hard to keep up with all the topics generated here so some get missed. If you find unanswered questions, please feel free to reply to them with an "up" or a wavey to put them back on the first page and maybe they will get answered the second time around...

#110921 November 29th, 2005 at 02:13 AM
OP Offline
Cindy...Oops! Got ya in trouble! Like you need any more help!
Bill...
How many Peopies do you have that bloom perfectly year after year? Mine won't bloom!
laugh laugh p Where's your spell checker? But seriously, we all appreciate the great sight you have here! Thank you so much! flw flw flw flw

#110922 November 29th, 2005 at 02:38 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Originally posted by peppereater:
Cindy...Oops! Got ya in trouble! Like you need any more help!
Bill...
How many Peopies do you have that bloom perfectly year after year? Mine won't bloom!
laugh laugh p Where's your spell checker? But seriously, we all appreciate the great sight you have here! Thank you so much! flw flw flw
shocked

#110923 November 29th, 2005 at 02:44 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Peopies are an extremely rare hybrid Paeonia!

Yeah... that's my story and I'm sticking to it! thumbup

#110924 November 29th, 2005 at 02:50 AM
uh, Bill...

you been hitting the bottle with Weezie early today?!? [Linked Image]

#110925 November 29th, 2005 at 02:52 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
heheheheh, hi all, cute string.

#110926 November 29th, 2005 at 02:59 AM
OP Offline
Jeff Foxworthy would define "peonies" as what you tell your friends when you want free fertilizer for your flowers...Hey, guys, pee on 'ese.

#110927 November 29th, 2005 at 03:02 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
uh, Bill...

you been hitting the bottle with Weezie early today?!? [Linked Image]
Notice how I keep digging my hole a little bit deeper with every word? laugh
I think its time to leave before I get in more trouble.... Its Christmas shopping day for the "you know whos"... so I have to leave anyway!

#110928 November 29th, 2005 at 03:14 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
You guys reckon Bill is gonna buy me a present... Duh
...for being such a good girl this year? laugh dev laugh

[Linked Image]

Oh, that was funny...... laugh shocked

#110929 November 29th, 2005 at 03:15 AM
You'll HAVE to post a picture if he does! laugh

#110930 November 29th, 2005 at 03:21 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I'm sending Bill a bag of coal for Christmas this year. grinnnn laugh

That's what naughty boys get in Kentucky...since we are all coal miners...or coal miner's daughters.
(Hey... idea ...there's a song there somewhere!)

#110931 November 29th, 2005 at 07:27 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
****Cindy,
If I hadn't gotten any answers to my maple tree question I posted when I started here, I probably wouldn't be here right now.

Do you remember who answered them for you????

I am gonna have to hunt them down like the dogs
they are for answerin' your questions....
wink laugh laugh laugh laugh frown grinnnn lala

#110932 November 29th, 2005 at 07:28 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Just kidddddddddddddd~innnnnnnggggg you!!! kissies thumbup lala

#110933 November 29th, 2005 at 07:40 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Uhhh...Weezie.... p laugh [Linked Image] laugh

#110934 November 29th, 2005 at 07:44 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
You were wrong... your first post wasn't about Maple trees! p

Cindy\'s first question

Cindy\'s second question.....

#110935 November 29th, 2005 at 07:54 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
OMG...don't get me started on that CRABGRASS again! eek

I never did get it under control... :rolleyes:

Bill...did you get me a present????? laugh laugh laugh

kissies kissies kissies

#110936 November 29th, 2005 at 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Bill:
How many Peonies do you have that bloom perfectly year after year? Mine won't bloom! Obviously you know what it takes to grow Peonies, but I sure don't!
'um, Mr. Bill, didn't anyone ever tell you that you need LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of ANTS to get those flowers to bloom? Without a bijillion or so ants right nearby, they won't open...

Merme

#110937 November 29th, 2005 at 08:07 AM
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by peppereater:
<strong> Hey you guys, I've noticed that some new members post questions that go unanswered. That has to be discouraging. ......... at least once a week or so, can everyone do the same? Duh kissies thumbup
I'm gonna try!

#110938 November 29th, 2005 at 08:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
"Norman",
How extremely kind of you,
for all of those wonderful words and ideas!!!! kissies thumbup cool smile

I had thought of something awhile ago,
and never got around to implimenting it,
as to starting a post and it says something
to the effect,
"I'm good at.........."

And like if I were to start it,
I would put down...
Composting, Vegetabes, Perennials,
General~All~Around~Know~It~All wink , etc...
*see what I mean..*

Then would have others come along and also put
down their forte`, ie; peppers, House plants, Tropicals, etc..

and then we'd know what your most knowledgeable
places were...

And I do do a little nudging every now and again, I'll PM Rugby guessing excellant mystery plants, or Donna/Gardencrazy for water gardening, or Sorellina/Julianna about Tomatoes, or Lucy Lou on Canning, or Noneofyourbusiness on indoor gardening with lights, Papito for general all around questions, Buglady for Bug questions...
when some are stumped..

and it's a wonderful idea for those who would like to do your suggestions, it's GREAT!!!
And very much appreciated....
Lives get so hectic sometimes, kids, laundry, mothers, doct appts, sickness or just a down right busy day....

And its so nice for those who sometimes are looking for a little bit more to do, or to help out here, to help those in their strongest points... and a little bit extra especially in the beginner gardener area...as we were ALL beginner gardeners' at some point..
Soooooooo much incouragement to give to those
new, first time gardeners...A thrill of a life time gardening is, and if you can instill the "gardening bug or fever" early, they're hooked for life....

#110939 November 29th, 2005 at 09:05 AM
Oh, my... Didja all read how polite our Miss Cindy was in her first posts,
and all the responses too?!? kissies

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard