This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110888 July 7th, 2005 at 12:59 PM
OP Offline
hi everybody. I found out some very sad news today. my bus driver from last year (my 12th grade year in high school) died from lung cancer this morning ters ters ters ters His name was Haywood Lewis. he was one of the best people I've ever met. I am very honored to say that I was able to know him and ride his bus. He loved kids and he loved his job of being a school bus driver. the sad thing is, is that most of the students that rode his bus hated him for no reason. they gave him problems all the time. and even though they hated the man so much, he still treated them with respect even though they gave him none in return ters my brother and I loved him dearly and he will be missed. He is with God now and will be one of the best angels God has ever had ters I'm asking that everybody please keep Mr. Haywood Lewis's family in your thoughts and prayers that they will make it through this very hard time.thank you so much ters

#110889 July 7th, 2005 at 01:21 PM
Miss Jamie, I will add the family to my prayer list. Too many times people that have jobs that no one else would want are overlooked, but they are special people. I thank God that my kids had good bus drivers! My sympathies for everyone that will miss him.

Dianna

#110890 July 7th, 2005 at 01:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jamie, I am sorry for your loss and grief. The death of someone we are close to is never easy. The friendship you and your brother extended to his man must have meant a great deal, particularly if he was not well liked by the other kids. It seems he was a good man and you had a good relationship with him. It might help you with your grief to honor him by expressing fond memories of him and your relationship in words, music, telling stories - we make a good audience - painting, or another creative outlet. Getting in touch with creativity, connecting with nature (gardening is soo therapeutic) and others are are all positive, healthy ways to process grief.

Self-care is also important. Nurture yourself, connect with your inner self and nature Listen to your inner voice that tells you what you need right now, then act on it. Friendhsips are particularly important in times of grief. It is important to have someone you trust to confide your feeling, which may change rapidly as you work through different aspects of grieve.

Have you considered doing something special as a memorial to Haywood Lewis, such as planting a garden in his memory, perhaps at the school?

Again, I am sorry for your loss, Jamie.

Cricket

#110891 July 7th, 2005 at 04:06 PM
Meg Offline
MissJamie, I am so sorry about the loss of such a special friend.

Not to hijack your thread, just wanted to share..

My uncle was a bus driver as well, and drove my daughter's bus, when she was in kindergarten. He had always been involved in the parks & rec, and little leagues, and everything else that had to do with being there for the kids. I was not going to let her ride the bus, till I found out he was going to be her driver, and made me feel a bit better knowing he was there. It was a sad day when we found out he didn't show up for his earlier route for the high school kids, because he'd passed away at home, before his shift. My daughter still talks about him from time to time, and it was 5 years ago. I'm glad she got a chance to know him, even if it was briefly.

There really are people out there that care about kids, and obviously your driver, Mr. Haywood Lewis, was one of them.

Meg

#110892 July 7th, 2005 at 04:25 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Miss Jamie...how sweet it is to know all of the hearts this man touched everyday! My condolences to you and to his family. I agree with Cricket...you should consider a garden in his memory, what a precious gesture and a living memorial in his honor. luv

#110893 July 7th, 2005 at 06:27 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Missjamie my condolences to his family and to you. My wife drove a school bus when I met her. I know that these people that take our kids to and from school dailey are very special.His family and you are in my prayers.
Jimmy

#110894 July 7th, 2005 at 07:19 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I know that these people that take our kids to and from school dailey are very special.
Ain't that the truth! It used to hurt me when I was a kid...watching the bullies on the bus being mean to the bus driver.

It takes someone very special to do this job...to drive children safely to and from school while at the same time dealing with so many things that can be happening on a school bus.

My condolences, Miss Jamie.

Cindy

#110895 July 7th, 2005 at 08:54 PM
ters I'm sorry for you loss MissJamie-- it hurts to lose a friend you made as a young person-- especially when you have such a respect for them. Prayers are with you...

#110896 July 8th, 2005 at 04:51 PM
OP Offline
thank you so much everyone. Meg you can hijack any of my threads anytime you want and so can the rest of you kissies your uncle sounds like he was an excellent man. that's great that you're daughter was able to know him and have him as her bus driver. thanks for praying for his family and I. people at my church are also praying for his family. I am going to make a memorial garden just for him. I remember my last year riding his bus I gave him cookies,cakes,and all kinds of other little treats for christmas,valentine's day,halloween,and all the other holidays and it felt soooo good to see the smile on his face! me and a couple other students on his bus would always give him things. I bet he was the most spoiled bus driver around here! lol. when the lady that takes me and my brother to church called her daughter and told her about Mr. Haywood's death,I heard the girl bawling her eyes out. she is in Georgia visiting her dad right now. she was one of the students that gave Mr. Haywood a problem all the time. she always said how much she hated the man but I could really tell when I heard her crying on the phone that she really liked him but probably didn't want to admit it kissies ters

#110897 July 9th, 2005 at 05:46 AM
R
R
School bus drivers carry our most precious cargo!

Hey check this out at the Hosta Library. School Bus: http://www.hostalibrary.org/s/s.html

This for sure needs to be in your memorial garden.

#110898 July 9th, 2005 at 05:48 AM
R
R
Rats it didn't link directly. The link takes you to the S page, then click on Sb, then School Bus.

Link Copied to Clipboard