This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110742 December 19th, 2005 at 08:28 PM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
Hope you are fine. Have you got enough snow yet to cover all those tender plants? I was wooried here we have gotten alot of cold weather with no snow, I am hoping some of my plants pull through.

We had gotten snow in October and than it warmed up so much in November that things were starting to resprout again. Weirdest thing I've ever seen than the cold hit again with a little snow. I have a weigela bush that still hasn't dropped it leaves. I wonder if I should just pluck them off?

#110743 December 20th, 2005 at 03:00 PM
Your weigla will be ok - my daughter and I did one once and it went right through the winter - we didn't even cover it with anything.

No - I wouldn't worry about picking it off. If you get a chance just push some leaves in around the base of it - but I understand the snow actually keeps the plants warm, so pile it on.

Victoria Weigla? That's what ours was. I don't know how it would have made out - at the end of that summer the gas company dug up a whole buncha' stuff.

We do have some snow - got about 25 metres so far - it's all breaking up now - I think we'll get some tomorrow.

OK - now, I don't know about down east, but I do know that the chart on Env. Cda. tells us the temps are going above zero for Christmas weekend.

Ohhhh! I do look forward to same.

Farmers' Almanac predicts most of the snow as being in the end of December and through January -then it will taper off.

#110744 December 21st, 2005 at 04:04 AM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
We've gotten hardly any snow and alot of cold, the ground is frozen and everyone is starting to have trouble with water lines and pipes. I was wondering if that was a typo "25 metres"? I hope so because that's about 80 feet of snow. shk

My wegela is a variageted variety, that's all I know about it also. It was planted when I wasn't a careful gardener and threw away the tag. We only have about 6 cm of snow on the ground, by now we should have about 3 ft. Doesn't seem like Xmas yet, they are calling for rain on Xmas day, if that happens it will be the first time ever.

#110745 December 21st, 2005 at 09:59 AM
Yep - a typo - cm, of course - the length of a hand is around 25 cm. So 6? Ahhh! A little more than a knuckles' worth, eh?

We don't want 3 ft - Jeff has to shovel the two walks here at the building.

But it's nice to have the ground covered with it. There's some ice and you have to be careful where you walk, of course.

#110746 December 22nd, 2005 at 09:36 AM
tamara Offline OP
OP Offline
It's calling for 6 days of snow starting on Xmas day in the long forecast. Whoohoo. Mind you once it gets here I'll bounce about it but I want snow for Xmas.

My sis-in-law lands in Toronto tomorrow to fly home for the holidays, how's the weather there?

#110747 December 23rd, 2005 at 03:44 PM
Much warmer today - hovering at 0 (which is sensational with no wind)

We're going above 3 over the next few days and rain for Christmas.

Might get snow later though. I like it for Christmas Day, at least.

Link Copied to Clipboard