This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11038 December 9th, 2002 at 01:03 PM
G
GENEG69 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Anyone know anything about glads.I checked
some garden websites and got confused because
I get different information on growing them.
I planted some bulbs last spring and they
got about 2ft high but none of them bloomed.
Do I need to dig them up and refrigerate them
or just leave them in the ground?
One plot has bulblets coming up like large
blades of grass.I guess it's from the original bulbs I planted. What do you do with bulblets?
Im in zone 9.

Gene

#11039 January 8th, 2003 at 07:45 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Hi Gene

Gladioli are hardy wherever the soil does not freeze deeply in winter, generally from zone 8 - 10. Here in zone 3 I have to dig them up, but yours can be left in the ground. The bulbs can be covered with a thick, loose mulch or planted near a warm wall to extend hardiness up to zone 6.

Gladioli grow from corms, and the corms should be planted 4 -6 inches deep in a full sun location. plant the corms in groups or rows. Support may have to be given to tall varieties. plant them when all danger of frost is past. Cormlets will form at the base and alongside the corm. The cormlets can be separated from the parent corm in the fall or when the foliage yellows. Store the corms over winter, and plant them the following spring. Soak the cormlets before planting to help speed sprouting. Cormlets will grow to flowering size in 2-3 years.

Fertilizing is recommended for bulbs that are left in the ground for many years. Use a commercial bulb food on these bulbs, raking it lightly into the soil during fall cultivation. The foliage should be allowed to ripen or yellow naturally before being removed as this allows the bulb to store nutrients needed for future growth and blooming. Gladioli will produce larger flowers if they are fed with a liquid fertilizer every 3 weeks after the buds form and until they open. Remove the blooms as they wither. The bulbs will exhaust themselves if the seeds set.

Good luck
Barb barbsblooms@shaw.ca

Link Copied to Clipboard