This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#110350 July 6th, 2005 at 04:27 AM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
this took place when i was maybe between the ages of 12-13 yrs old. we lived on a good sized chunk of land in attleboro ma. well we had flowerbeds of all sorts and herbs and veggies etc....well one day my mother woke me up (it was summer) and told me to hurry and come into the kitchen to see what was in the back yard. well..i was in no rush.when i got to the kitchen my mother was so excited she couldn't stand still she kept telling me "come and look,come and look!!! look at what is in our back yard" so i finally decided to take a look. WHELL, i dont think anything could have prepared me for the sight i was about to see.

There,standing at our kitchen window staring at us(looking in probably due to my mother carrying on the way she was) was a huge,brown and white cow!!!! my mother in shock asked what do we do? i told her "hope it leaves us a few "patties" for the garden" (sure enough it did) well i then made the suggestion to call the animal control officer, we did. low and behold a call was already placed, well quite a few actually. what had happend was the cow escaped from the rehoboth fair (an annual fair that took place the next town over) now you have to try and picture a cow coming from almost 2 towns over down a major street (rte 123)and i guess just checking out the surrounding neighborhoods. well the cow set off a series of yearly (almost holiday) visitors. that following thanksgiving we had 2 pheasants visit our yard. then the following spring a leapord came to visit us (got away from a traveling circus)there was a baby owl,real pretty white and grey. then one summer our yard was taken over by garter snakes (i guess thats not too uncommon) but our yard was quite the stopping grounds for some pretty "wild" creatures. i really miss that yard alot. i often wonder if any "friends" have wandered thru at all. i hope you get a kick out of this story and hope i was able to tell it in a way so you can all really picture it all.

#110351 July 6th, 2005 at 04:38 AM
hmmm.... Dr. Doolittle, I presume??

#110352 July 6th, 2005 at 04:42 AM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
yeah right!! let me tell ya the animals that we had plus the "visitors" good grief charlie brown!!!!!! it was amazing. as a wee one, i was always bringing home wild baby animals i would find.baby squirrels,birds,snakes,dogs,cats,anything i found i would bring home.

#110353 July 6th, 2005 at 08:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Phoenix, I really could picture it all.... kissies

#110354 July 6th, 2005 at 09:15 AM
I found 2 baby moles today at school. Another class had just come out and was going to play with the hose. I'm sure they would have died. I pushed them into one of the holes that are around and covered them up with a toy and told the teacher not to let the kids touch it. They were soooo cute!!!!

#110355 July 6th, 2005 at 08:21 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Phoenix were I was raised everyone had cattle in their back yards. We had about 800 head of cattle of course we only had about 10,000 acres in New Mexico and around 80,000 acres and around 6,000 head of cattle northeast of Durango,Durango Mexico. Our big thing was when the wild Donkey and Mustang herds that came through twice a year. They would run right through the middle of the town near us laugh .We would trap a few of them to breeak and sell or just to add to our ridding stock as they could cover a lot of ground in a hurry. In Mexico we had Leopards and Panthers almost dailey. Don't mean to take away from your exitement just thought I would rely what we had when I was a young pup. Just shows the diversity of this great country of ours. laugh
Jimmy

#110356 July 6th, 2005 at 08:50 PM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
hey guy's those are cool stories glad you shared them. it's good to know i'm not the only "dr. doolittle" they are great memories to have aren't they?

#110357 July 7th, 2005 at 05:11 AM
Loved your story, Phoenix, I could just picture it!

Up here we have bear and moose that come into our towns.

Don't know if you've ever seen a moose in real life? But those things are HUGE! 7 ft or more.

Ok, so a few years ago, the news announced that an Ostrich had escaped from a special farm and was being sought all over the place. Now you know how big Ostrich's get; those birds are something else!

So everyone was scrambling all over the place trying to track this giant bird because for fear he'd get hurt in the wild or for fear that some guy would shoot 'em thinking it was the biggest wild turkey he'd ever seen, Ma!

Fortunately, the bird was caught several days later and didn't end up on anyone's plate!

thumbup

Merme

#110358 July 7th, 2005 at 12:51 PM
I HATE when my computer shuts off for no reason! mad

Merme...my hubby called me tonight and told me about the "Moose Crossing" signs on the road in Maine? He said it is definitely something different! grinnnn

Phoenix...garden or not, I am terrified of snakes. If I see ANY kind of snake in the garden, that will surely be a job that Jim can handle by himself from now on! grinnnn Just call me Scaredy-Cat! shocked

Laura, camels are something I have never been fond of. I heard the things will spit at you, too!

Dianna

#110359 July 7th, 2005 at 07:48 PM
Yes, Dixie Angel, there are "Moose Crossing" signs everywhere. You definitely DO NOT want to hit a moose while driving. You know how bad it is when someone hits a deer....Moose are MUCH bigger. And yes, they do get hit.

But every now and again, one of them will wander into a town, walking down the main street if you please, casually taking his constitutional for health. They are amazing creatures.

Merme

#110360 July 7th, 2005 at 08:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A couple of weeks ago we had a Black Bear show up from out of nowhere and was strolling up and down the beach,having himself a lovely ole time. Create quite a stir in Downtown Jacksonville Beach laugh

A couple of years ago a few Nutrias escaped from the Jacksonville Zoo. Since they or their bodies were never found, it is believed that they are alive and living somewhere in Jax.,around the St. Johns river or her many tribuataries. In case you don't know a Nutria is a GIANT RAT! It can be from 35-60 inches long frown

I personally love snakes...I've even had a few pet pythons in the past. When I find one in my yard I am most likely gonna check it out and if it's not poisonous,pick it up and pet it thumbup

We get domesticated birds around here quite a bit...parakeets,parrots,cockatiels,lovebirds,etc. We've only successfully caught one of them. Unfortunately I think it was ill or just worn out as it died 4 hours later grinnnn

#110361 July 8th, 2005 at 01:17 AM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
Don't know if you've ever seen a moose in real life?
certainly have Merme,and they are amazing. I have an uncle way up in Maine, i use to go up for visits quite often when i was younger. I love it up there!!!

#110362 July 8th, 2005 at 02:08 AM
While we are on the topic of interesting animal encounters we have had, I thought I would add this story because it is one of my favorite memories.

Back in 1983, I was living in Clermont County, OH, a very rural area outside of Cincinnati. I lived on the outskirts of a small town, down a long and winding hilly road with much woodlands on either side with small homes set into clearings and a minor farm or two.

Very late one foggy night, my husband and I were driving slowly along our narrow back road, totally enjoying the serenity of that isolated area. We came down one hill, rounded a deep curve and started up the next hill when suddenly the cloud cover overhead parted a bit and the moonlight shone down on the most amazing sight.

There on the crest of the next hill a beautiful white stag stepped out of the woods and stood beside the road, the fog swirling around his hoofs, the sudden moonlight bathing his rack. He was so dignified, he was breathtaking. It was a glorious sight.

My husband and I thought we were seeing things, I don't know, a mirage maybe, a piece of magic. I had never heard of a white stag in real life and certainly never heard anyone mention them living in Clermont County, Ohio of all places! It seemed so mystical somehow, with the clouds parting overhead and the fog lifting on that silent night.

A few days later I read in the local paper that a small herd of albino deer had left Canada and were being tracked by scientists on this unusual migration...and they had, indeed, passed through our area. My husband and I felt so honored to have been one of the few people who actually saw them, particularly because of the magnificence of the surrounding scene. He would have been wondrous at a zoo, truth to tell, but on that hilltop in the moonlight, he was majestic! Unforgettable.

Merme

#110363 July 8th, 2005 at 04:33 AM
R
R
Cool stories!!

#110364 July 8th, 2005 at 10:29 AM
hi rue ~ wavey

Absolutely, I agree. These stories are neat!

So Phonix, what part of Maine have you visited?

And G-mom, I keep telling ya to fetch afgrey and you two get up here! We got chatting to do! and Mooses to see!

Merme

#110365 July 8th, 2005 at 11:31 PM
HI all,
I grew up in Alaska.... moved up there when I was 4 and left at 14- anyway to get to the animal story..
My Mom was doing dishes at sink- when she looked out the window- a big bull moose was staring in the window at her-- she screamed! I was about 5 at the time--- my Dad being the practical man and hunter he was - went out and shot it, dressed it out and we ate it for about 6 months- wasn't illeagal in those days to shoot out of season or in town either- was a lot of animals that came in town then--- this was in 1954 or 55- we ate a lot of moose, caribou- fish- bear even when my Dad got a grizzley-- Mom could cook anything and make it taste good- .... it was a treat for us to get beef and chicken when I was growing up.

#110366 July 8th, 2005 at 11:58 PM
Oh Nana, what a neat story! I often think of your years in Alaska and how interesting they must have been for you as a child.

Game meat tastes much different than other types and I enjoy it whenever there is a chance to have some.

Up here when a Moose is hit by a car, once the game warden clears it, people are allowed to butcher it for food. Years ago Edward and I were given a huge amount of Moose steaks because he had been one of the guys to help clear things up after an accident in our town. A Moose is a HEAVY creature, so when one goes down, they often ask for volunteers to help with the carcase.

Anyway, I bet you have many cool stories to tell about Alaska, no pun intended!

laugh

Merme

#110367 July 9th, 2005 at 04:27 AM
Anyway, I bet you have many cool stories to tell about Alaska, no pun intended
LoL Merme,
It was a wonderful place to grow up then - 50's, 60's... boy am dating myself here!
When we first went up there- my Mom had to hang blankets on the windows instead of curtains or drapes to make it dark enough so we would sleep.... I remember playing tag and red rover- redlight-greenlight at midnight....
having our own skating rink in the back yard- stepdad would flood his garden area before the first freeze- having a snow fort in the front yard - complete with towers and tunnels... In Juneau we used to play at gold panning in the creek- actually found a few flakes of gold sometimes--- made terrariums every yr from plants and mosses we found in the forest right behind our house- is a National Park now-- want to go back someday with my hubby - show him where I grew up......

#110368 July 9th, 2005 at 05:19 AM
Oh, that would be wonderful, wouldn't it? If you could take him with you some day?!

thumbup

Merme

#110369 September 8th, 2005 at 01:54 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I am sooo far behind in reading...but I just had to bring this one back to the top....

Ohhh this thread was Toooo funny....if "anything" was starring through my kitchen window like that I would of totally shk freaked.

I wouldn't be blessed in my neighborhood to have a wild animal come to my yard... well like all of yours anywho....all I see are the coyote, skunk, possums, snake type. AND the ONLY thing that would come to the height of my kitchen window would be a burglar and I am not waiting around to call the kids. laugh

#110370 September 8th, 2005 at 02:05 AM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
GREAT stories aren't they Catlover!! What a surprise the cow was. we have turkeys in our yard now. Actuallty I think they are turkey vultures. I'll post the pic for you

#110371 September 8th, 2005 at 02:14 AM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
[Linked Image]

here is the turkey/turkey vulture

#110372 September 8th, 2005 at 02:18 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Wonder who was more shocked the cow or your mom....ROFL

The picture is kinda light and small....you checking my bifocals now? LOL Looks like a turkey to me....I've seen the turkey vultures....man the wing span on them things are humungo...and IMHO they are one UGLY creature. :rolleyes:

#110373 September 8th, 2005 at 02:48 AM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm sorry I wish my phone took better pictures. I wonder if it's a female cause it's not as round as i thought turkeys are. the tail isn't ploomie either. It is kind of small to be a t.vulture though huh.

#110374 September 8th, 2005 at 02:49 AM
phoenix Offline OP
OP Offline
oh I think my Mum was. I don't think the cow even cared to tell the truth. You know how cows are (don't you) wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard