This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#110343 June 27th, 2005 at 12:07 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
For any gardener with problems in the hands, whether it be arthritis, rheumatisim, carpal tunnel syndrome,or even general weakness of the hands, it may be good news to know that specialty tools are available to help you.

One classification of such hand tools are the ones that have been totally redesigned from the standard tool yet still allow the function to remain.

The Handform Trowel and Fork by Hubbard Yonkers feature a curved handle which allows the best positioning of the wrist while providing maximum leverage.

There is also the Corona Comfort Line that features larger, cushioned grips.

You can also modify your existing tools by adding your own padding on the handles. You can wrap and glue foam rubber. You can purchase long lengths of rubber tubing and cut it to size and secure well. Even heavy duty tapes can be wrapped to an adequate thickness.

Another consideration is cushioning your hands themselves as well as the tools.

Wheelchair cuffs can be quite useful for the non-wheelchair user. These are made of suede leather and are designed with open fingers and thumb yet still protect the hands and wrists.

Also, you might consider a visit to your local bicycle shop to try on fingerless, leather palmed bike gloves that are usually lightweight and durable.

Adaptive Gardening Equipment by Julia Beems gives detailed info on how to make homemade forearm cuffs for gardeners who need extra help holding a tool in the hand.

#110344 June 27th, 2005 at 09:48 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Merme the trouble I have had is an handle that is big enough around for my hands they are all made with narrow handles. I have tested a few for different companies and none have been where I could grip them. My hands don't close up good. Small things slip through my hands. A lady friend did give me two bulb planters that are around 3 feet tall that helps a lot on the bending part. Glad you suggested this forum I am learning a lot.

#110345 June 27th, 2005 at 11:15 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Glad you suggested this forum I am learning a lot
As am I Jimmy!!! I think it is WONDERFUL...and I certainly needed this kind of help!

#110346 June 28th, 2005 at 11:15 PM
HI JIMMY i added two screen door handels to my gardening hoe and my rake to help me hold on to it i wear garden gloves and stick my hands through the handels it helps me hold onto the garden tools.it works for me it might work for you.just a idea.your friend in gardening.mike57

JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Thanks Mike57 I don't know why I never thought of that Will give it a try.
Jimmy

#110348 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:23 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a link to a photo of one type of hand tool that is a good assist to those with hand and wrist issues. These are the Handform line.

Specialty Hand Tools

All of these photos are from Janeen R. Adil's classic work "Accessible Gardening For People With Disabilities", Woodbine House, publishers.

#110349 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:29 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is another photo link for a line of tools with a longer, cushioned grip style. The Corona Comfort Line.

More Specialty Hand Tools

Link Copied to Clipboard