This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
OP Offline
M
Hi all. I'm from the little state of Connecticut and I love houseplants. I also love to quilt, cross-stitch, and travel. (Anything to avoid housework!). Two years ago I traveled cross country with my best friend. We drove from Atlanta GA to Phoenix AZ and hit every quilt shop and cross-stitch shop coming and going (two different routes). It was great! We were gone for four weeks. My biggest worry while I was away was my houseplants. Oh I knew my husband and grandkids would be just fine, but I prayed my plants would survive my absence as I am a bit "over-protective" with them. I guess I got that from my dad.

My dad could grow anything that was green and I admired him for that. He would bring home little cutting that someone would give him (sad looking and almost dead) and find a cup, drinking glass, anything that could hold soil, put the little plant in the dirt, water it, put it in a window and POW! the little plant always perked up and flourshed. He would sometimes give the plant back if he thought the person would take care of it. If not, he'd keep it and add it to the growing collection found throughout our home.

I've been blessed with a little bit of a green thumb also and love to watch my plants thrive. However, I find that I have a problem and I need some help. (and yes, I'm long winded but at my age, it's acceptable (smile). Anyway,....

My oldest plant, a palm, is causing me some concern. I don't know its name but it was given to me about 25 years ago. It came from Florida and it was about a foot long. Now it is about nine feet tall and very leggy. Rather, it is only one stalk and all of the greenery is at the top. I would like to cut it back but am afraid I might kill it. Several years ago I purchased a Parlor Palm and planted it in the same pot around the palm. Everything grew beautifully but my palm continued to tower over the parlor palm. What can I do? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
msb2uthx,
(and yes, I'm long winded but at my age, it's acceptable (smile).
That is totally exceptable here, and
almost a requirement grinnnn .

Welcome, and glad you found us!!!

I don't know alot about house plants..
But if you find the HOUSE plant SECTION,
and copy and paste your question about your
palm and post it in there, I'm sure someone
will come thru and give you a helping hand!!!

Weezie

There's lot's to do here, all thru out the
WHOLE YEAR, especially thru out the cold~long winters!!!

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi and Welcome,

Both of my thumbs are black but I am working on changing that. I hope you find what you are looking for. I'm sure you will. If you can post a picture down in mystery plants that will probably help. They keep telling me it's easier to care for a plant if I know what it is first lol.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks, I think I sent a double message. Didn't think my first one went through. I'm really new to this.....sorry

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
No need to be sorry...
Might have been a glitch...
Besides, everything's fixable or work~withable!!!
We're pretty easy folks....

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard