This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109952 May 16th, 2005 at 02:05 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I really want a cutting of the Weigela florida ‘Variegata’ that is in the seafood resturants garden. The question is do I politely go in and ask the manager if I may have a couple of 8 inch cuttings? Or do I make an early morning raid and take some.

My next question is about the rooting. It says to take cuttings in spring but to root them in the fall. How do you keep them alive in the mean time?

#109953 May 16th, 2005 at 02:45 PM
Or do I make an early morning raid and take some.

laugh I think I would ask laugh

There's a flowering bush of some sort in the empty lot next to me that I would love to dig up a start to. I don't know who owns the lot and am afraid if I sneak out there at midnight with a shovel, someone will see me sca Hubby is a police officer.... can't you just see it? My picture in the local paper, flashlight and shovel, digging up a start? Ack!!!

smile

#109954 May 16th, 2005 at 03:51 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
The question is do I politely go in and ask the manager if I may have a couple of 8 inch cuttings? Or do I make an early morning raid and take some.
If I looked out my window and saw a stranger snipping on my plants, I'd be out there like a flash of lightning and I'd be doing a lot of hollering.
However, if you knocked on the door and asked nicely, I'm sure you'd get plenty of the cuttings and probably a few bonus plants to boot! flw

#109955 May 16th, 2005 at 04:13 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
It is a resturant not a private residence. I wouldn't even approach a private dwelling unless I already knew the people.

Thank you for taking the time to explain how it is done in the gardening world. I wasn't sure exactly.

#109956 May 16th, 2005 at 09:31 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
If I looked out my window and saw a stranger snipping on my plants, I'd be out there like a flash of lightning and I'd be doing a lot of hollering.
We have a pellet gun... laugh ...it is much more quiet than hollering.

I would think that it being a business..the manager would certainly be the one that you need to approach. I have had the lady that owns the nursery where I do most of my business pinch off a start of some things that were a little out of my price range...that is a SURE way to keep your customers happy. I wanted some dynamite red Crepe Myrtles REALLY bad....they were about $40 bucks a bush...she sold me some starts for $4 each. I had to keep them in pots all winter but I got to plant them in the yard last week and am as proud as punch! Courtesy Counts.

Link Copied to Clipboard