This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109331 July 13th, 2005 at 10:27 AM
OP Offline
Wow, it's so cool. I get so excited. Am I really that weird? My partner thinks so laugh

So what, I went out in the pouring rain to turn my heap - didn't want all the nutrients to leach out beneath it. Figured I'd 'catch them' at the bottom and put em back on top laugh okay, so may be that was just an excuse to turn it in the pouring rain, but then the highlight of my day - while turning this fabulous pile of hay and grass clippings and not much else, I saw a white powdery cloud. Hmm...odd, I thought. May be it's from that white stuff on the grass in the pile... and so I kept turning...and seeing this white cloud. DUH! It finally hit me (about the same time the heat did when the breeze changed course) STEAM! It was steaming!

I was almost excited enough to do a jig. Okay, so it was my first steamy compost experience. Sue me (ya won't get much). I went and got herself and got her an umbrella so she would come watch me turn another pitchfork full of gold. To say she isn't quite as excited as I am about compost is an understatment...but she watched a few minutes, acknowledged (uh-huh) the steam, until the ammonia smell hit her and she high tailed it back to the house. Fooey. Spoil sport. Anyway, you guys undersatnd, dontcha? That was this afternoon, and I'm still psyched about it. What happened to this NY city girl? laugh Who woulda thunk!

#109332 July 13th, 2005 at 11:07 AM
wink a steamin' pile.oh yes indeedie.........very exciting.I know exactly how you feel.

Whoo Hooooo,good on you!And so good for your plants.

luv duckie

#109333 July 13th, 2005 at 11:18 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
It's actually quite startling at first
HOW HOT IT REALLY IS, ISN'T IT????

One wouldn't think it could or would
get sooooooooo hot...
but isn't mother nature wonderful?????

Congrats Mary!!! thumbup clp

#109334 July 13th, 2005 at 05:46 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woohoo!!!!

I know what you mean. And Congratulations great job. Just think of all you can plant in it when it is done. Your doing great. That'll take care of those hay seeds or whatever right? Good Job.

#109335 July 13th, 2005 at 08:02 PM
a steamin' pile
Just make sure you don't step it in. laugh

#109336 July 14th, 2005 at 05:43 AM
OP Offline
laugh I'll be careful not to step in any steamin piles around here dontcha worry bout that

I was itchin to turn it again today just to see the steam LOL but figure I should let it work and sit another day or so.

It was startling how hot it was - kind of like walking into a sauna or the bathroom after someone's taken a hot shower and left the door shut. I am really in awe over the process...feel kinda silly about it sometimes, but it's just amazing to me! And yep, T, it should take care of any of those naughty seeds in the hay so I'm pretty set there wink Besides, if I was gonna grow weeds - I think hay would be the one I'd pick to grow!

Link Copied to Clipboard