This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109322 June 11th, 2005 at 05:55 PM
mike57 Offline OP
OP Offline
MAKEING HUMMINGBIRD NECTAR
HI wavey ALL heres the recipe.
Hummingbird nectar is 4 parts water to one part white granulated sugar. Dissolve the sugar in hot water stir to mix thoroughly.you can add just a few drops of red food coloring if you like i do.but it is not nessasary to add it. and let cool and pour into a hummingbird feeder. You don't need to use all of the solution at one time. the rest can be put in a old milk jug and refrigerated. Be sure to change the nectar as soon as it starts to get cloudy.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#109323 June 11th, 2005 at 06:03 PM
Mike... and everyone else...

you can add just a few drops of red food coloring if you like
DO NOT ADD RED FOOD COLORING!

This can be harmful to their digestive system.
Please don't do this to the hummers. If you want to add more red to your area, tie red ribbons, or hang beads, etc around the feeders. The hummers will gladly drink your solution WITHOUT the red coloring. I have been feeding them for about 10 years and they return religiously each year.

#109324 June 11th, 2005 at 08:43 PM
mike57 Offline OP
OP Offline
HI LYNNE theres no There is no scientific evidence that the red food coloring will harm the birds but a lot of sites tell you not to use food coloring that it might harm them.but i agree with you after doing some research it is not needed.the red food coloring myth come abought in the 70s when #2red food coloring was baned by the FDA. for all or you wishing to make humming bird nectar you do not have to use food coloring.just use water and sugar.

#109325 June 11th, 2005 at 08:54 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Whatever you do, DO NOT try to substitute honey for the granulated sugar!
Honey will give your Hummingbirds a fatal virus...

#109326 June 11th, 2005 at 10:52 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
How often should you change the nectar? Our hummers are not coming in the flocks they were last year for some reason. We have only had one or two at a time and I am not sure how long to leave the nectar hanging?

#109327 June 11th, 2005 at 11:14 PM
Vanessa ~ I, also, have not been seeing the hummers as often as in the past, but it does seem like they are starting to come around much more frequently this week. We've been having temps in the high 80s-90s this past week, and I think the solution should be changed every other day in this heat - otherwise it ferments. The hummers will still drink it, but I don't think it is too healthy for them. In cooler weather, I try to change it every 4-5 days or so.

#109328 June 11th, 2005 at 11:55 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Thanks Lynne...I have never had this problem in the past...there are usually 10-12 hummers that keep the feeder dry! I have really missed them, hope they are on their way HOME!!! I added 2 new feeders this year because we had so many birds last year... Duh

#109329 June 12th, 2005 at 12:40 AM
mike57 Offline OP
OP Offline
HI All there the same here not seeing to many of the little feathered friends here eather but they will be back soon as the rest of my flower beds start blooming. i change my nectar out evry 4 days. but you can leave it out as long as 1 week if its in a nice shady cool spot.and Amen abought the honey Bill use only pure cane sugar.here are a few links abought myths on hummingbirds such as hummingbirds migrate by rideing on the back of Geese and that they suck up nectar like a straw.theses sites give a lot of imformation on our small pretty friends.
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/backyard_birds/top_ten/bill_top_10_myths.aspx

http://www.rubythroat.org/QuestionsFeeders01.html
http://www.massaudubon.org/Nature_Connection/wildlife/index.php?subject=Birds:%20General%20Info&id=40

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-31248
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/backyard_birds/myths/myths.aspx
hope you all injoy.your friend in gardening.mike57

#109330 June 12th, 2005 at 01:49 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
I have extra hummingbirds this year. But the habitate has improved to more hummingbird friendly. I don't think the people who lived here before us fed them either. But I wonder if the weird weather patterns that have gone on this spring have thrown off the migrations patterns?

YOur sugar water solution will last longer and be slower to ferment if you boil it for 3 minutes before letting cool completely to add to your feeders. But I am with the majority and say change at least once per week.

Link Copied to Clipboard