This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10926 October 5th, 2003 at 11:13 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I have a Christmas cactus that I brought to Tennessee from Maryland. I am so afraid that it will die!

This plant belonged to my Mom, an ace gardner. She passed away last month, so I will be bringing new plants home each month for the next several months.

Back to the cactus. It is big and old. I put it in a window with exposure as close to its spot in my Moms home as possible.

I noticed that a few ends have dropped off. Not too many, though.

Any suggestions?? idea

#10927 October 5th, 2003 at 11:28 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Sorry about your Mom.

I don't think that you have anything to worry about. Relocating a plant is bound to cause some leaf loss. Give it a few weeks to adapt to its new environment and it should be OK. You are right to provide similar light. That will help ease the acclimatization.

#10928 October 6th, 2003 at 09:24 PM
also when it does go to set buds....don't turn plant then...they will twist to sun and fall off.the shorting light&cool weather help it to set buds& you can propagte from leaf cuttings.if you look in stores you may notice differences in leaf shapes of yours from theres cause your mom will have a older variety likely
wish you best of luck muggs

#10929 October 26th, 2003 at 05:57 PM
T
T
Originally posted by ggggardner:
I have a Christmas cactus that I brought to Tennessee from Maryland. I am so afraid that it will die!

This plant belonged to my Mom, an ace gardner. She passed away last month, so I will be bringing new plants home each month for the next several months.

Back to the cactus. It is big and old. I put it in a window with exposure as close to its spot in my Moms home as possible.

I noticed that a few ends have dropped off. Not too many, though.

Any suggestions?? idea
Sorry about your mom, I lost mine almost 3 years ago.

It's probably shocked a bit from moving, give it medium light (and east or west window is fine) and water only when dry until flower buds form. It likes to be slightly cooler at night this time of year and longer nights to set buds. Fertilize every other watering with half strength 15-30-15 or similar.

Tom

#10930 November 6th, 2003 at 03:55 PM
my christmas cactus is blooming.it sure looks better this year than last year after shareing a life accident with my cat.the blooms are just now opening.
I have dianthus& panseys in bubblegum planter.would really like something trailing in there but don't know of a fall/winter trailing plant to add to it(spring is a toss up between trailing zinnia or trailing rosemary...still undecided there and don't know what else will add yet)

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
^^Look in iris albulm^^

my swan is sporting a new plant
as well too cosmos was still blooming but just plucket it out and stuck with rest in ground so now has company

#10931 November 9th, 2003 at 12:07 AM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Hi njoynit,

Loved the pictures of your Christmas cactus blooms. Mine is blooming too and wanted to share some pics with you. There is one plant in that container that has pink blooms, but they haven't opened yet.

web page

jc2weho luv

#10932 November 9th, 2003 at 04:27 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mine is just starting buds!!!
I think that's the most time in one
year that plant has bloomed,
I think that it's it's 4th or 5th time already!
Weezie

#10933 November 19th, 2003 at 09:06 PM
Jc we gotta trade cuttings when done blooming

#10934 November 29th, 2003 at 07:05 PM
Our white Xmas cactus turned a blush pink at the bottom of each bloom. Phooey, it's not a true white, after all. The dark pink and the almost-red is blooming now, too.

#10935 November 29th, 2003 at 09:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a question....how big does the christmas cactus usually grow??? And when it needs repotting what is the best thing to use??? I just bought one a week or so again, it's getting ready to bloom pink it looks like...I've never had one before...

#10936 November 29th, 2003 at 09:27 PM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Chrismas cactus don't mind being pot-bound. I think they prefer it. Repot or divide when the water just runs right out. Then you will know there are more roots than soil. I just use a good potting mix. Don't over fertilize it. flw

#10937 November 29th, 2003 at 09:32 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I have 3 off my grandma's 50 year old plant and I bought one a few years ago for my dad. I made two out of the new one. I just used a sharp knife and cut it in two. The last two are in baskets and they are beautiful pink now and big. You can also just take starters off the ends and put in soil. At least that is what this newbie did! 3 of mine are outside and it has gotten cold enough to really make them set. The 2 in the house are just getting ready to bud....but I turned on the heat a few days ago! Maybe by Xmas they will open!
[Linked Image] wavey

#10938 November 30th, 2003 at 07:00 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow, you say that your grandmother had hers for 50 years???? I guess I will have a long term relationship with this plant....lol If I don't kill it that is....I'll have to see if I can start one for my mom when it gets a little bigger!!

#10939 November 30th, 2003 at 03:38 PM
T
T
Loz,
I only repot them when the soil goes from being loose and airy to hard and compacted. When the top of the soil looks and feels like concrete it's time to repot. I have to do a few of mine this spring/early summer. I use a good potting mix and add/mix an equal part of perlite to it. This makes a very porous, light weight, free draining mix. I prefer clay pots.

Tom

#10940 November 30th, 2003 at 06:20 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Yep Loz we have DNA from that cactus all over the place now! The thing was giganto! Kinda funny I had gotten my dad one with the same color and then after my grandparents passed we got the one from her....same color! Great tastes huh!!!! laugh
Feels good to have something of my grandma's still around and growing!
wavey

#10941 December 1st, 2003 at 05:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks Tom for the info, I appreciate it!!! thumbup And Karen, I can't believe they live that long....it might outlive me!!! shk That's too funny smile ....it's getting ready to open, I keep checking it every day....can't wait to see some more flowers....I'm having flower withdrawals....I miss looking out in my yard and seeing all the pretty blooms!!

#10942 December 3rd, 2003 at 06:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My cactus is blooming......It looks so pretty....I was just wondering how long the flowers last??? Are they very short lived? Duh

#10943 December 3rd, 2003 at 06:48 PM
This is my first year with a cactus too. My grandma always had one and it would have a bloom once every other year or so. Now my sis is the caretaker, I've given her the tips everyone has posted so maybe it will bloom yet! thumbup

#10944 December 5th, 2003 at 05:26 PM
My neighbor back in Whitehouse had one that was her grandmothers plant was 97 yrs old then so that was 2 yr ago.seems both were in clay pots If i recall right.her bloom color was same pink as mine but her leaves were different and when did a post online about it learned about the older varieties& that yellow& orange were hybrids.i think we ran into someone on that post that had one that was over 100 yr old.
I've had my blooms last 2 months ...well total bloom time some do fall off depends on conditions.they do better when are cool so have mne outside but when get our lil cold fronts park it in garage like this weekend.it also looks like mine is forming more buds.my one i re potted that had the red streaks on leaves& has also now gotton buds and a few blooms since re potted is in peat/potting mix mixture.the other is in potting mix and may change pot when done blooming.I only fertilize when gets time for buds to form when days change length till blooms stop

Link Copied to Clipboard