This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10923 December 21st, 2002 at 08:23 AM
K
Kim Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I live in upstate NY and bring my dhalia "bulbs" inside each winter. I dry them out, brush off the soil and place them in the cellar in a plastic bag with newspaper on the bottom and peat moss. This year they have all become moldy! I now have them just hanging in the celler, but they look shriveled. What shall I do? I look forward to these beautiful flowers each summer!

#10924 January 9th, 2003 at 04:53 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Shriveled tubers can be placed in a bucket of water overnight to plump them up. Allow them to dry thouroughly before returning them to storage. Dahlia tubers should be inspected, every few weeks during the winter, for signs of disease or shriveling. Diseased parts can be cut off and the wounds dusted with sulfur. You can mist the peat moss from time to time, but keep a close watch for signs of rot.

Good luck
Barb barbsblooms@shaw.ca

#10925 January 23rd, 2003 at 06:17 PM
F
F
Does anyone know which animal it is that digs up dahlias and eats them? I've had problems with that in the past. We have got the squirell population under control- could it have been them? We also have many possums and raccoons. Marketman25@aol.com

Link Copied to Clipboard