This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#109040 July 14th, 2005 at 04:56 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi,

I live in Dumbarton, Scotland which is close to Glasgow and a short drive from Loch Lomond.

I'm an inventor, very occasional gardener but keen grower of all kinds of houseplants.

My background is in polymer chemistry and I worked in research for more than 20 years developing novel polymers mostly for medical applications but also sensors, membrane separation processes, controlled delivery of active agents and more.

One of my hobbies is cooking and especially with fresh kitchen herbs. I had developed a technique for watering herbs always from below. I did this to quite a strict regime with some success. One day I had a Eureka moment and applied my expertise to develop a controlled watering system based on special hydrogel membrane diffusion technology (sorry!). After great success with herbs especially basil I now look after lots of houseplants.

[Linked Image]

I have a daughter, rose, 4, and a son Peter, 8 months. Married to Ellen, who is an educational psychologist - and very patient!

Chris

#109041 July 14th, 2005 at 09:26 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
wavey Welcome Chris_Moran to the garden helper we like all sorts here have quite a few from Britain. Hope you enjoy it here we will help you in any way we can.
Jimmy

#109042 July 14th, 2005 at 03:23 PM
Hi Chris
I'm from England wavey
We have a herb section if you have any questions.
Welcome to the forum
Nice to meet you
[Linked Image]

#109043 July 14th, 2005 at 07:39 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi, Welcome & Wow!

That's a gorgeous plant you have there. I look forward to hearing all about your inventing and your gardening. I'm getting my very first indoor jungle going and loving every minute of it. Hope to hear all about which plants you have.

#109044 July 14th, 2005 at 08:11 PM
Welcome to the board, Chris! Can you answer the age-old question? laugh

I am sure you will enjoy it here at the Garden Helper. There is lots of fun and knowledge to be had at the click of a mouse. Have fun!

Dianna

#109045 July 14th, 2005 at 09:11 PM
P
P
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the friendliest gardening forum in cyberspace.

I understand what you are talking about, since I had background in chemistry in college although I pursued a career in the business world. I haven't dabbled in a lab scene since I left school. I do have a project which require chemicals, but haven't devoted enough time for research. Maybe if time permit we can exchange ideas.

I glanced at your Thesis on "A distributed Fiber Optic Sensor for Hydrocarbon Detection". Cool.

In 2000, I tested a few bags of something similar to a water gel to water plants when on vacation or away from home. I am sorry I forgot the brand name. If I remember correctly, one bag per plant lasts about a week.

I hope you enjoy your visit at The Gardener's Forum enough to stay. We love to hear about your Hydrogel and it's practical applications. If you need help in testing this particular invention in the US, maybe I can help. I can't speak for other members, I am sure they'll let you know if they are interested.

#109046 July 14th, 2005 at 10:37 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad to have you here with us all!

Welcome to the forum---check out the houseplant section! There's a lot of good info in it...or maybe you could help some people out....

Happy you found us!

Laura

#109047 July 15th, 2005 at 06:27 AM
wavey welcome! i am new too!

#109048 July 15th, 2005 at 08:13 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Many thanks for the warm and kind welcome.

Through my watering invention (see post on houseplant forum) I guess I'm now quite experienced with houseplants but do feel short on basic "plant knowledge". Hopefully I can both contribute and learn. I can post watering pattern data, comparative trial info and pics for my invention on the houseplant forum and would be pleased to get opinion and feedback.

Papito - amazed you tracked down the hydrocarbon sensor. It's a good one! There are also water and pH sensing cables and a point sensor. Bit removed from my medical, biomaterials, medical device, controlled delivery etc stuff but you might not believe some of the things I worked on during 20 years in applied chemistry R&D! And now plants. But they're fun too. Happy to give you any input that I can. Delighted if my invention makes it to the US.

This is a cheerful place.
Chris
[Linked Image][/IMG]

#109049 July 16th, 2005 at 07:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to check out your invention right now thumbup Sounds pretty impressive!

G-Mom grinnnn

#109050 July 21st, 2005 at 05:31 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Does anyone have any ideas about how I might go about making my invention available in North America e.g. distributors, importers, retailers, selling agents? It's a big place and I'm not sure where to start.
Chris

#109051 July 21st, 2005 at 06:31 PM
P
P
Chris,

My offer stands in helping you test market and mass market the Osmogro product line in the US. I think the starter kit and the triple gift box will do well to begin with.

If you are interested, please send me a pm so we can discuss the details.

#109052 July 28th, 2005 at 08:03 AM
R
R
Hi I am new..........From Florida......very nice forum.....I'm not good on the net, but trying.....thanks

#109053 August 1st, 2005 at 09:49 AM
HI Chris. I was at Loch Lomond once. Cool. (I just had to say that.)

Link Copied to Clipboard