This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#108958 June 28th, 2005 at 03:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LOL--this post has been too much......Hey, every birdwatcher starts learning somewhere right.....

I have a bird that I have no idea about myself....I see a pair of them every once in a while...a tad smaller than a robin and it's all brownish, but when it opens it's wing there are pretty white stripes running up them.....Any idea Gmom or Cindy????? I'd try to get a pic, but I don't see them often enough....not like the cardinals, bluebirds, doves, etc...they're around everyday.

#108959 June 28th, 2005 at 04:43 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Oh it's been awhile since I laughed that hard. Oh my tummy hurts. You all are in top form here recently. Don't feel bad Meg there's one out in the back that I would like to identify. It stays around when I am gardening but it won't sit still for a picture. It doesn't coo exactly but it's close to that sound. It's got a black area on the top of its head and upper potion of it's back and the rest of him is a dark steel grey. And the tail is black an kind of long and thin.

#108960 June 28th, 2005 at 04:52 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I had one singing and singing and signing
while I was doing my gardening...
Such a pretty little bird, it was a brown song bird of sometype...
I kept gardening away and it just sat there,
I thought how wierd, usually you move and they're gone...

Anyhow Meg, you never mind them one bit...
I've lived in the country with tons of birds,
and I am still not that fluent with them either...

Althoughhhhhhhhhh, I do know the common one's,
but once you start with the little brown birds
I get them all mixed up..

#108961 June 28th, 2005 at 05:01 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
.....Any idea Gmom or Cindy?????
Uhhh...do you really want to get us started again? laugh shocked

(...although hooper's sounds like it could be a mourning dove.)

Cindy Bird

#108962 June 28th, 2005 at 05:06 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
TK, You have a Catbird Check Google Image Search under Catbird. They get their name from the "mewing" cat-like sound they make.
loz, you could possibly have a Northern Mockingbird, but they are gray instead of brown, check Google Image Search also. The Northern Mockingbird is a close co7usin of the Catbird and both of these are closely related to the Brown Thrasher.

#108963 June 28th, 2005 at 05:20 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Yep...I bet that's what it is! thumbup
Those little suckers are mean! laugh
Whenever Whiskey Man comes to the tree for his food, all the other birds fly away...they're scared of him. But, that crazy catbird out there will attack him while he's eating, and try to run him off...usually succeeding.

#108964 June 28th, 2005 at 07:26 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
A catbird how neat. And they like to eat bugs. This little fellow is definitely my friend. The construction work going on must have flushed him out of this regular habitat. I wonder how I can get him to stay around. I really enjoy having him out there in the morning. And he doesn't squabble like the sparrows do.

#108965 June 28th, 2005 at 08:27 AM
Hmmm...catbird eh? Is that like CatDog???
[Linked Image]

#108966 June 28th, 2005 at 09:05 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
EWWWWW! Catdog is so creepy.....Like, how does he, it go to the bathroom. He's even creepier than that half male half female dragon on Dragon Tails

#108967 June 28th, 2005 at 08:48 PM
R
R
Loz you are lucky !!!

I agree that your bird seems like a mockingbird.

They are my favorite. One bird can put on an entire concert for you. And during mating season they put on aerial acrobatic displays. Those are easiest to view if you have an open area with utility poles. The birds will cartwheel, flip, spin, etc. & land on the pole again.

They are very brave also. I will mimic their calls while walking my dog & they will follow along from tree to tree filled with curiosity. Sometimes they like to tease my dog by swooping at her tail.

#108968 June 28th, 2005 at 08:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does a mockingbird have white stripes under it's wings???? I can't tell by the pix I've found of mockingbirds.....The bird I have looks pretty boring until it spreads it's wings and then there is a large vertical white stripe going up underneath each wing....

I knew I should've bought that birdwatching book at the outlets on my birthday...I had it in my hands and put it back....

#108969 June 28th, 2005 at 10:04 PM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Here is a picture I took of a Northern Mockingbird doing that EXACT display that Rugby was talking about. Also, it is essential to have at least one bird guide book if you are interested about birds, Most of us birders would recommend, "The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America".

Northern Mockingbird Barrel-roll Courtship Display
[Linked Image]

#108970 June 28th, 2005 at 11:09 PM
R
R
Yes, they have white stripes on their wings and on their tails. MB

#108971 June 29th, 2005 at 01:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thanks you two....maybe that is what it was then......how cool is that? I really do need a bird book...I sit out and watch them eat and bathe....Even my hubby has gotten into watching them....LOL

#108972 June 30th, 2005 at 08:37 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Muffin was back at the window this morning. She was bound and determined that she wanted white bread this morning. And that's finally what she got.

#108973 July 5th, 2005 at 09:50 PM
HI wavey ALL i have a lot of purple martins nesting in my bird houses this year.last year i only had 1 pair nesting but this year looks like i have about 10 or 12 pair nesting there very pretty birds and are very picky on where they nest.i built quite a few more bird houses on tall post and they seem to love them.i sit out side and watch them for hours building there nests flying in and out of there new homes.there very cool birds to watch.your friend in gardening and bird watching.mike57

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard