This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108635 August 2nd, 2005 at 11:53 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I have a problem with dried grass clippings. Some time back, my lawn grew really tall, and I mowed quite a bit of it. I left the large grass clippings on the lawn thinking that it will help as mulch. However, because too many clippings were left on the lawn surface, they blocked light from the plants and possibly caused matting. The grass beneath the clippings died as if I had placed a solid object on it. Since then, the lawn has had these big patches showing "dried straw" with no signs of any new grass.

Can someone please point me to the right steps of action I need to take so that I can make my lawn fully green again?

Many thanks!

The only thing that helps us with the "hay" that is left behind is to rake it. You can use the clippings in compost or use it as a mulch.

By the way...welcome to the forum.

Dianna

Meg Offline
I recently read that leaving short grass clippings is good.. gives back nutrients to the grass that it needs. However, long grass clippings should be raked up, and you can compost them if you like.

Meg

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I don't know what your soil looks like but if it isn't compacted putting out some grass seeds may get you some new grass in the areas that were damaged. It's just a thought I don't have a lawn so I have absolutely no experience with them.

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks everyone for your response. Can you please explain to me what composting means and what advantages does that give us? Thanks.

Basically, JekyllOwner, this is what it is all about. Also, don't forget to check Garden Helper's organic forums and ask questions if you need something to be clarified.

Dianna

B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

Thank you, Bill. I just went to look to find out where they were. "Organically Speaking" is the place.

Good to see that you are here, Bill. I have been wondering where you were. You are missed!

Dianna

JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
JekyllOwner welcome to the forum. Also don't just mow your grass it helps to mulch it which will make the grass more like in bits rather then long blades that way it will breakdown faster and easier. Compost everything you don't leave on the lawn including leaves, I will put some of my leaves by them selves to breakdown because I get so many that way I can add them to the compost a little at A time and they will also help build up soil in spot I keep them on. I change this spot each year so I can use the buildup under the leaves.
Jimmy

J
OP Offline
J
All,

Thanks for you responses. If I want to buy a rake to get rid of the matting created by the dried long grass clippings, which rake should I buy? They have lots of varieties out there - leaf rake, bow rake, etc. Which one will suit my needs to address the above problem?

What I have in mind is to rake the dried stuff out, and then resprinkle some fescue seeds back where the grass is dead.

Any opinions will be very helpful.

regards,
JO

The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I've read that wearing golf shoes with the spikes on the bottom while mowing will help perforate and aeriate the soil greatly improving your soil conditions.

JO, Jim and I use just plain old garden rakes. We sometimes borrow a hayrake to pull behind the tractor, though.

Dianna

Link Copied to Clipboard