This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108465 December 4th, 2005 at 08:58 AM
OP Offline
So I'm having a huge Christmas party. One of my most important guests (my ex husband's mom) is coming. She insists I have trays serving Grey Goose vodka but my bff prefers Bacardi to vodka. Do I serve both... bc I don't want too much alchohol. Which should I pick?

#108466 December 4th, 2005 at 09:05 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
i would suggest either she brings a bottle, or you get small bottles of both, and when they are gone, they are gone.

Remember, holidays are suppose to be fun! grinnnn

#108467 December 4th, 2005 at 09:45 AM
I understand you want to consider everyone, But if someone wants something special let them bring it or they need to accept what ever it is that you have or are serving. Just remeber it is YOUR party, and YOU should decide what is best for you!

#108468 December 12th, 2005 at 02:44 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It sounds like pleasing both of them is important to you. I'd serve both, but make the over all quantity to be served the same as if you were serving only one. That way you don't have to stress over too much alcohol or worry that one of the important people in your life/party won't be pleased. Holidays are to be enjoyed. Reduce your stress anyway you can, relax and enjoy your party and your guests.

#108469 December 12th, 2005 at 08:02 AM
First I'd like to ask how an invited guest can "insist" that you do something to accomodate them. Is that why she's your ex-mother in law? wink

I would either ask her to bring what she is so important to her, asking or suggesting very nicely that maybe she would like to help with things, or I would serve both.

When is the party?

#108470 December 12th, 2005 at 08:05 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
I say load the eggnog with as much 151 Proof puerto Rican Rum as you can POSSIBLY pack into it. Your guests will quickly cease to care or even remember what you are serving in the way of drinks.

#108471 December 12th, 2005 at 08:11 AM
Thornius that's the best idea!!! I've never been invited to a party and insisted on what the menu should be. I think I'm way to passive. Don't tell anybody but I don't even know what Gray Goose Vodka is.

#108472 December 12th, 2005 at 08:35 AM
I would serve whatever makes you happy to serve,if you're happy serving what the "important" people want or no alcohol at all( Duh

#108473 December 12th, 2005 at 10:28 AM
When I come to your house Mel, I'm checking out your bedroom and bathroom so I can get some of the good stuff.

#108474 December 12th, 2005 at 11:27 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My 2 cents...
Do what you feel comfortable with..
You've got to live with the end results...

You've gotten some good advice from both sides of the fence..

Me, I'm an accommodater.
I like a nice smooth party, if I invite someone..
I would have a supply of different types..
Or I would state on the invite, BYOB...
***I do, cause I drink some different kinds of
liquor if we go places that don't have what I like. Not that I've been out in a longggggg while. eek ***

I like the small bottles idea..
That way you have some, but guests can't over do it..

*Thornius,
I say load the eggnog with as much 151 Proof puerto Rican Rum as you can POSSIBLY pack into it. Your guests will quickly cease to care or even remember what you are serving in the way of drinks.
Unfortunately, that wouldn't work for me, I DO NOT LIKE EGG NOG... :p thumbup

*Sheri,
Don't tell anybody but I don't even know what Gray Goose Vodka is.
I'd say it's in the lines of say something like an Absolute Vodka..
although the Vanilla Vodka is quite intriging...

****Mel,
I also usually keep a stash of whatever I'm having in my bedroom or my own bathroom so I could keep my drink going and not run the risk of some drunken relative gettin into it.
That was toooooooooo funny!!!!
Good idea... I used to be that way with my brand of liquor... if I saw a half empty bottle I'd get nervous... sca and hide it....

Just come to the darn party and find out when you get here! I've never in my life asked a hostess what she would be having and if I personally had any special dietary needs I would either eat before I went or bring my own food.
I have to admit, I'm picky eater too...
*I'm an almost total vegetarian... so, it's hard..
but I do like you said, if I know there's not much food there, I'll eat before I come... or like at my husbands Christmas party, I pig out on the hor`derve's *veggies like broccoli, cheese, crackers, dips.. and horde any extra salad in the family style salad bowl.. but the one's we sit with know I'm a veggie, so they don't mind me havin' the leftover salad fixin's...
~~~and I have a niece that's a veggie, so, at parties here, I always have veggie stuff...
~~~and if I'm havin' a party where's there's kids,
I always make the plain stuff.. as kids don't like fancy stuff that look funny, there's always the basic's...
~~~and I must be bad, cause I always make sure there's enough for all, and that no one goes home hungry...

#108475 December 12th, 2005 at 12:41 PM
I've never been to a party where I didn't have to "BYOB"...is that sad?
I could never afford to feed my family alcohol all night....my god!! I'd lose my house! laugh I'll feed 'em lotsa' good food but they all know "BYOB"...except my Grandma, I always have a bottle of her wine for her.

#108476 December 12th, 2005 at 12:48 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'd lose my house!
Back when my husband, then boyfriend, were dating..
He would say, "I'd rather take her out for dinner than for drinks......" shk wink laugh laugh laugh :rolleyes:

#108477 December 12th, 2005 at 02:08 PM
Mel * thumbup * A woman after my own heart!! muggs

(. . . OR. . . you could do what Mel & I might do, & show your "important guest" where your private stash is!!) wink

#108478 December 12th, 2005 at 09:19 PM
S
S
if your mother in law is that picky she should offer to drop off a bottle of the goose (very pricy). If I were in your situation I would mention to her that I just can't afford to buy the high priced name brands, considering all the booze I am going to have to buy for this party.And I hope you can bear brand x for the night. Then the ball is in her court and she can decide to pick up a bottle of her choice or bite the bullet and drink what is available. Maybe she should give you a bottle of grey goose for a hostest gift.
swin

#108479 December 13th, 2005 at 07:35 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by melcon6:
I would serve whatever makes you happy to serve,if you're happy serving what the "important" people want or no alcohol at all( Duh
You know what they say about mother in laws... it makes matters worse when she's your ex- husbands mother. But atleast me and my ex and his mother are still close... as awkward as it is around my bf... actually my fiance of two days cool

#108480 December 13th, 2005 at 07:50 AM
actually my fiance of two days
Congratulations on that girl. You kept it so secret.

When is the party.

#108481 December 14th, 2005 at 04:24 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
[Linked Image]

Congrats Stardust on your engagement.

You have to post these non-gardening things over in the Banter Hall. I have snow here now and am in hibernation as far as gardening go until about Feb and starting seed then so I forget there is anywhere but the BH to post.

Comeon over and join the party! (and hide your good stuff). grinnnn

#108482 December 14th, 2005 at 04:38 AM
I'd say it's in the lines of say something like an Absolute Vodka..
Grey Goose is actually a few shelves above Absolute.

I hope that what ever you do for the party you and your guests have a great time.
WHat time should I show up? (just kidding)

Link Copied to Clipboard