This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108098 July 2nd, 2005 at 10:21 PM
R
OP Offline
R
buy bedding plants from growers that have used hormonres to make them bloom right when all of us are buying plants to put in our gardens, then the plants slowly wither and die?

I bought a couple of flats from Krogers really really cheap, went to the garden club meeting and learned this. I have slowly pulled out all of the plants from Krogers!!!

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Is that why the Zinnia at Walmart today were real short with big blooms on them. I was wondering. Not that I would pay that price for them knowing how easy they are to grow from seed. But what a nasty thing to do.

R
OP Offline
R
I don't know, makes me wonder. Our speaker didn't name any names, but I will only buy my bedding plants from a real nursery/garden center or mom and pop store from now on!

Trying to save money you end up loosing!!!

One of these days I will get my act together and get around to starting seeds in my basement.

Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
We use hormones at Wentworths. But its to make them grow faster so they'll be able to be put out. After they get put out and planted, they act like normal plants. I don't like buying plants with flowers on them already anyway though >.< I always get em with buds that are just getting ready to bloom smile

~Phoebe

It is sad what they will do to make a buck. I have been reading an on going thing about Big Box stores selling hostas infected with a virus. I pointed the virus out to an employee at one here and they looked at me like I had two heads. They never pulled the plants either.

Donna flw

K
K
I have costomers that look my stock over in the spring and ask me why not much is in full bloom, I just reply, "its the 21st of April", and I cant tell you how many say, "I saw them in bloom at Walmart. Pretty disturbing.

Donna, please do tell about the hosta virus! I just bought a slew of hostas from wally world - couldn't resist the $2.50 and $1.25 sales!

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I stopped buying plants from wal-marts because of the bugs. They are all infested at our store.

Mary-
HI! wavey
I can try to explain the virus but the link below will do a better job than me. shocked
hostalibrary. HVX

I have personally seen infected plants at Walmart and Lowes. The virus doesn't effect other plants only hosta. There have been so many infected plants let out the past 2 years it unbelievable.

Donna flw

Link Copied to Clipboard