This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10770 February 12th, 2003 at 03:42 PM
E
emilyn Offline OP
OP Offline
E
i have a plant that i only know as a "lipstick ivy". my mother always had one when i was young and it flowered quite often. i have had mine for about 5 years and it has yet to flower. it's grown heaps and looks really great and full. any suggestions on how i can get it to flower, and, what is the real name of this plant?

#10771 February 14th, 2003 at 11:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The Lipstick plant is Aeschynanthus lobbianus.

To bloom, first, they need lots of bright light all year round, although they also need protection from direct sun in the midday hours. Second, they should be kept in small pots; repotting discourages flowering. Third, they require warm temps, never below the mid 60's, even in winter. Fourth, keep the soil evenly moist - too much or too little water will discourage blooms. Finally, younger plants are better bloomers than older plants. Regular pruning will help keep them young.

It will get leggy if it is not pruned regularly. The best time to prune is when there are no buds in formation. Prune the longest stems back to several inches above the soil. Remember, the new growth will start at the point that you cut back to, so you should cut back pretty far to produce fullness in the center of the plant.

Link Copied to Clipboard