This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10740 May 21st, 2003 at 08:19 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I have 3 heart shaped leaf plants from 3 sources. They were given to me by different people at different times. How can I tell what family they belong?

No. 1. This one loves the shade, needs little water. Some leaves and young branches have a shade of red(brown red). The leaves are soft and usually small like the size of a key lime. It goes to about 3 feet. Definitely a climber due to the hooks on branches and almost no vertical growth.

2. This one has variegation leaves with green and creme/golden marks. It grows very, very long. Once it cracks through the gysum wall it was leaning on and grew over 15 feet inside the wall. It was so tough that I could pull the whole thing out without breaking it. Its branches can grow very thick (about 1/2") Most of its branches reached 12+ feet. The leaves are medium sized in about 2-3" and pretty firm. The new leaves are waxy and then turn dull afterwards. (Don't know if that is the way it should be).

3. This looks just like plant 2 but it has big bright green leaves. Some of the leaves are bigger than my hand. No creme marks though. The parent plant lean on a 5 ft. pole with big branches and leaves.

I am trying to identify them individually because I planted them mixedly in 2 pots.(without realizing they are totally different) No 1 and No 2 plants thrive in pot 1. No. 2 and No 3 plants didn't grow much in the 2nd pot. Leaves turn yellow etc.

The soil mix, temperature are the same for both pots. Pot 1 is next to a darker window than pot 2. And I have a tendency to overwater pot 2 because it has more bare soil surface and more sun exposure.

The other difference is the cuttings in Pot 1 were only 2-3" while the cuttings in Pot 2 were as long as 2 feet. The cuttings from Pot 1 was rooted in damp peat moss while the cuttings from Pot 2 was rooted through tap water.

Thanks in advance for any tips to identify these plants and their proper care.

Ed

#10741 May 23rd, 2003 at 12:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ed,

No. 1 is a Philodendron. The others variegated ones are probably Pothos. If you want to email photos to me at wcreed@Horticulturalhelp, I can confirm that.

There is no significant care difference between Philodendron and Pothos. They can co-habit the same pot quoite comfortably.

Link Copied to Clipboard