This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#105422 September 6th, 2004 at 05:34 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Thank God!
I have been so worried! I have three T.V.'s on in my house with the "Weather Channel" on two and CNN on the other one.
I've been trying to call Karen since last night, and her phones (home and cell) are obviously out.

I picked up my cell phone again a few minutes ago, and as soon as I started calling her, my home phone rang! It was Karen's daughter!

She said the electric, well EVERYTHING, was out, and Karen had given her my number to call and let me know she was O.K. thumbup

Hopefully she'll be back on here soon with all the details.

Cindy

#105423 September 6th, 2004 at 05:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
THATS good news

#105424 September 6th, 2004 at 07:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great, I was getting worried.......hopefully they haven't taken any serious damage to their home......

#105425 September 6th, 2004 at 08:00 PM
J
J
Cindy, thanks for the update on karen thumbup , great that she is alright, l bet its no pic-nic for her though. Hope she comes through unscathed.
lt must be really frightening for her and the family eek eek eek

Doreen.

#105426 September 6th, 2004 at 09:11 PM
Cindy, thanks for letting us know. flw

#105427 September 6th, 2004 at 11:31 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Karen called awhile ago, and said she didn't know when they'd have electricity. But, she's making the most of it with "family bonding"! (I wonder how long that can last without someone getting an eye poked out! laugh )
The neighbor next to her had a big tree fall on their house, and came right on inside! No one was hurt, though. She had other neighbors that had quite a lot of damage also. Karen was very fortunate! I'm sure she had damage, but it wasn't as bad as some.

Hope she gets her electricity back on soon!

Cindy

#105428 September 7th, 2004 at 02:37 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That IS good news!!!!!!!!!

Thank goodness!!
I had been wondering!!!

AT least we know all is okay!!!

Weezie

I'll be sending all of these to her and all of the Floridians!!!
angell angell angell angell angell angell

#105429 September 7th, 2004 at 02:39 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Thanks Cindy for keeping in touch with her too!!!

Weezie

#105430 September 7th, 2004 at 04:51 AM
yay! glad she is alright!

#105431 September 7th, 2004 at 02:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've only got a few minutes on here.

We still don't have power and don't know when we will have any...As I'm typing this, the rain is pelting the building. We finally got water yesterday afternoon late.

There is extensive damage all around us...we don't have any damage at all to our home(thank god!)

Physically we are all fine...mentally I'm going nuts(I'm starting to understand the movie "the shining" laugh )

There is still an abnormal amount of hummingbirds all over my yard. I wonder if they are evacuees from down south...Is that possible?

The power went out at 6:50pm Sat. right before the nascar race. My hubby and his racing fanatic friends were NOT going to miss the race so they all went out to our van and watched the race there DURING the worst part of the storm.. laugh MEN! laugh I could tell everytime something happened in the race as the van would start rocking!! They had a small fridge of cold beer plugged in to the van so they were quite happy. I stayed in the house and watched the raw fury of the storm as it came through... there were transformers blowing out everywhere...it looked like a fireworks show! Everything that wasn't secured went flying by...tables,chairs,boxes,even at one point a tent. There have been numerous tornados all over our area...1 was only about 1/4 mile away(we heard it and ran for the closet)

We are cooking everything on the grill...even coffee!! Thank god for cast iron cookware.

I am missing ya'll terribly and can't wait for power so I can come back.

Gotta run..they're shutting this off cause we have another tornado warning in our area...the touchdown is a mile away grinnnn

#105432 September 7th, 2004 at 03:10 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS POST! ! !

PLEASE stay safe!

Cindy

#105433 September 7th, 2004 at 06:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Karen, so glad to hear from you......and yes, stay safe! Glad to hear that there isn't any damage to your home, and that you are all okay....

I would've been out in the van with the men too!! Can't miss Nascar! thumbup Who does he like by the way?

I hope that you can keep in touch with us, and that the tornados stay away from your house....I'm putting an invisible force field around your home right now.... grinnnn laugh

#105434 September 7th, 2004 at 07:33 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Sure am glad to hear you are alright....those hurricanes/tornado's must be the scariest thing ever. Earthquakes aren't anything compared to what you are going through.

What the heck is causing all the repeated hurricanes lately?? Duh We need Loz's dad on here to explain.

Sending more prayers your way angell
kit

#105435 September 7th, 2004 at 10:13 PM
Its the weather patterns.They were like this in the late 40's to 60s also.I'm just another weathernut too hurricanes just fascinate me.

Here is an intresting one.was a TX storm in late 1800'sand wiped the town out completely.This is good place to hang durring hurricane.I learn more durring season cause is more going on and chatt too.There's info with drop down menuas at top.if you click in some of the discussions some will go into detail why what does what& is a glossary in top menu also,but some will add its menaing in hypoth..I tried to find the post about the weather patterns.its burried now with all the traffic on /sunday.
Glad your ok karen.hope most your plants pull through.
I followed Ham radio with this one.FL really needs more ham radio operators,some areas not covered.Ham radios help get info to NHC and related athoritys like police& fire.think weather channel was as least entertaining,but FOX did great coverage,CNN did till they got tired.was a long& huge storm.Was over 1000 miles wide& had hurricane force winds from center out of up to 185 at times 100-115 mph and some higher gusts.when an eyewallpasses the winds constant in oe direction then when eyes back end goes winds in opposite direction which causes more damage.stuff gets weakend blowing one way then gets whipped the other way& snaps or gives way.I'm glad it weakened b4 comeing on shore.
2 more months of hurricane season.

#105436 September 7th, 2004 at 11:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
angell thank God you and yours are ok.

#105437 September 8th, 2004 at 12:06 AM
Good to hear from you. smile

#105438 September 8th, 2004 at 02:38 AM
I am so glad to hear that everyone is safe. We are East of Atlanta and got 6 - 8 in. of rain in the last 24 hrs. and had no power for about 13 hours, but that is nothing to what everyone in Florida has put up with over the last few weeks, and Ivan is coming next.

angell angell angell

Prayers and well wishes to all

#105439 September 8th, 2004 at 02:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image] YIPPEE...WE GOT POWER!! [Linked Image]

We were starting to go a little stir crazy from boredom(Cindy you were right "family bonding" is only good for a day or two laugh ) I mean you can only play games for so long and its hard to play after dark when you have no lights!

All the extra hummers have left to go back to wherever they came from. I'm glad they evacuated here cause they were an amazing sight!

Our home is intact but our neighbors were not so lucky...one of them had a full size pine tree rip out of the ground and literally split their home in half(I heard it happen and ran over in the pouring rain,barefoot,to help get them out) They were not injured but their home is history. The pine tree also ripped the water lines out of the ground(thats why we lost water Sunday and Monday). Another neighbor had a branch go straight through their roof and end up in their living room(We helped them cut it up and patch the roof temporarily). Stupid me,I kept going out in the rain to help people and now I've got a stuffy head and sore throat.

We are still getting bands of rain but are starting to see patches of blue sky. Will be VERY glad when all the rain stops!

All of my lillies are flattened but I think they will pop back up when it dries out some. My roses lost alot of their branches but I figure they needed pruning anyway. My 4 o'clocks are on the ground so I'm gonna stake them and see what happens. My banana tree lost most of its leaves. The last of my veggies are lost(I still had tomatos,bell peppers and green beans growing). Only one of my birdhouses was lost,thank goodness it was the one without any birds in it. Overall my yard isn't in too bad of shape. I'm going to go around with the duct tape and some stakes and repair what I can.

I'm so glad this whole mess is over with.

Thanks for all of your prayers and good wishes(for all we know that might be why there is absolutely no damage to our home grinnnn

#105440 September 8th, 2004 at 11:51 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
grinnnn

#105441 September 9th, 2004 at 12:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
sca that's worse than no power!!

#105442 September 9th, 2004 at 03:45 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
laugh See...I told you! laugh laugh
"Family Bonding" isn't all the shrinks have it cracked up to be! laugh
I went to the shrink that touted "Give me my space!!!" thumbup

I missed you!
So good to see you here!
Cindy

P.S. You can STILL call me whenever you want!

#105443 September 9th, 2004 at 07:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Karen, weren't you scared to death staying in your house? I don't think I could've.....I'd be the first wimp heading out....lol I'm not very brave if you haven't figured it out.......were your kids scared? So glad you are all okay.

#105444 September 9th, 2004 at 02:24 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We weren't scared because we knew it wasn't going to be a direct hit in our area. If it had been...we were gonna be OUT OF HERE. Probably would have descended on Cindy. The kids kept asking...is this all there is...and when will the power be on to play video games laugh

Karen grinnnn

#105445 September 10th, 2004 at 03:00 AM
That's so cool about the hummingbirds. Listen to this. We had rain and they started school here two hours late yesterday. Go figure. Glad you're fine. Sorry for those who didn't fair so well.

My husbands family, his sister and brothers, don't get together for anything. Not Christmas, not Thanksgiving, not anything. If they ever did, we'd have to call out the National Guard.

#105446 September 11th, 2004 at 03:20 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
so... karen, you ready for ivan? looks like i'll be getting more of it than i did frances.... ugh...

#105447 September 11th, 2004 at 06:21 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Probably would have descended on Cindy.
Bring it ON! laugh Andy turned our entire basement into an awesome apartment so he could go down there when he's in one of his a-hole moods. BIG T.V., new computer, the works! Funny thing is, when he's being a jerk he decides to stay up here and make my life a living thumbup

Cindy

#105448 September 11th, 2004 at 02:31 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
his "doghouse"
laugh laugh

My hubby used to have one those too! I even made him a wooden sign that said doghouse and he hung it over the door. We still have the sign,its in his shed now laugh

There are rumors flying around regarding rationing gas. Its just a rumor,the governor gave a news conference to say that there is plenty of gas and more on the way ,but people are getting really nasty about it. Arguments and fights are breaking out at the gas stations. When george went to fill up the van he had to wait in line behind 7 people. When it was his turn some crazy lady cut him off(almost hit him frown ) and then proceeded to cuss him out cause he was driving a "gas hog" Everybody(including george) pitched a fit cause she thought she was too good to wait in line like everybody else. One woman went to her and took the pump nozzle away from her and proceeded to tell her what she thought of her. They ended up in a scuffle. Why are people sooo mean and stupid?

Karen grinnnn

#105449 September 11th, 2004 at 05:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
for those of us old enough to remember... Duh it was like that in the 70's...

#105450 September 12th, 2004 at 06:09 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
Hey! I remember that! thumbup laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard