This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#105233 September 13th, 2004 at 05:02 AM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Okay this thread is not going to involve gardening :rolleyes: but HOW TO questions????
So watch out laugh

First ?: I removed the front cover off the front of the refrigerator and there was tons of cat hair (5 cats what do you expect).....It was gross....I pulled out what I could using a paper towel wrapped around the end of a measuring stick and put the vaccum cleaner hose as far in as possible....but how do I get under the frig to clean it out without moving/tipping the frig????
What exactly is under there? :rolleyes: (frig parts...not the dust bunnies, cat toys, cat hair)
And will I get zapped???? Duh

#105234 September 13th, 2004 at 05:12 AM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
2nd ?: Moved to this house 2 1/2 yrs ago....I have a box window air conditioner made by Gold Star ...this is the first year I have really had to use it. The ? is .....are there filters in them or anything that needs maintenance???? recharging, cleaning, oiled inside of it????
Same ?....anything I can get zapped with?? kit

#105235 September 13th, 2004 at 01:22 PM
Cat,
As long as you unplug your appliances before you work on/around them you will not get "zapped" laugh

As for the refrigerator, there are cooling coils and your compressor under there and towards the back. YOU DO NOT WANT TO BEND THOSE COILS! They are full of freon. The best thing my wife found for cleaning under there is one of those foam duster things for like blinds? Duh

#105236 September 13th, 2004 at 03:44 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
laugh laugh
Thanks for letting me know about all those components...and the 409 /foam brush trick.
I can unplug the air conditioner but the frig is a different matter. I cannot reach my arm in there because it is so close to the wall....I have a very soft wood floor and it dents realllllllllll easy. Do you have any nifty ideas how to move it forward a few inches without killing the floor so I can get it unplugged? or do I have to empty completely frown to lighten the load then slide and hope for the best. kit

#105237 September 14th, 2004 at 09:35 AM
P
P
Try using Fuller Brush's 27-1/2" Dryer Vent Brush. You can see a picture of the brush at qvc.com, their item no. is V-20721. The brush could be used for cleaning both dryer vents and in-between coils of the refrigerator.

This item or something similar maybe available from Home Depot, Ace Hardware or Lowes.

#105238 October 4th, 2004 at 05:21 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Update...still can't find a way to open the box air conditioner to see if there is a filter in there???

Under side of frig is sparkling clean...used a brush as much as possible...then used Bill's suggestion and used an air compressor....I hooked up all the vaccum cleaners I had to catch the hair and then turned on the air compressor....did someone forget to mention putting a mask over my face :rolleyes: thumbup ...he removed several of my fence posts but not all of them. Soooo....? is I have 6 posts that should be removed. How do I get them out without renting a jackhammer. Is it possible to dig them out with a shovel/spade/pick???...."normally" how deep is the concrete that holds the posts and how far out does it spread?????
Last resort.....If I can't get them out I think I will string up some wires horizontally and espalier some plants on them.
Catlover kit

#105239 October 4th, 2004 at 05:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
When I sink posts for fencing,a trellis,etc. I usually sink them 2ft in the ground. Yours might not be that deep but,thats alot of digging!

I was going to suggest attaching latticework trellis's to the posts. I really like your idea of espaliering some plants on them grinnnn

#105240 October 4th, 2004 at 05:49 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Last resort.....If I can't get them out I think I will string up some wires horizontally and espalier some plants on them.
I really like that idea!!! thumbup

What about grapes???
Raspberry canes???
Apples???

Lot's of stuff????

Weezie

Or grow vinning flowers, morning glories, moonflowers, etc...

#105241 October 6th, 2004 at 07:53 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Looks like the fence posts are going to be slow going....soak and dig forever. Thanks Gardenmom and Weezie for the input.

Okay next question:
This is a biggy....I have a few liquid amber trees that need to be felled. (I have too....the root system is going to uplift the side of the house frown )....why they planted them so close to the house I will never know. Cost of cutting down a tree is outrageous.....so I have to at least give it a try before I throw in the towel and have someone else do it.
How do I fell a liquid amber tree that is two single story houses high....without killing myself, putting a limb through the roof, and knocking down 2 chainlink fences. I have a bow saw, extension ladder, couple hand saws, and a pole saw with another device attached that clips smaller limbs....oh yeah and no brain! Duh

#105242 October 6th, 2004 at 09:04 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
What is the trunk diameter of the trees? I know nothing about liquid ambers, but.... PLEASE don't try to do that yourself!!! trees can twist as they start to fall... if your cut isn't just right your tree can go in the opposite direction from your plan... branches can fall on you (aptly called widow makers). I don't know what price you consider outrageous, but some things just shouldn't be tried by the inexperienced!!! Send me a ticket and buy me dinner and I'll whack em for you!
kissies

#105243 October 6th, 2004 at 09:44 PM
Send me a ticket and buy me dinner
That's all it would take!!!!!!! I have some big rocks I need to move around and some sheetrock to put up and some limbs cut and some concrete poured and a couple of tanks moved.......etc.

#105244 October 6th, 2004 at 10:10 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!

#105245 October 6th, 2004 at 10:57 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I should know better than to try to talk you out of something like this "blonde" brainstorm. I'm sure that you are very capable of doing it, but if you plan to do it all with a bow saw you are going to have a very, very tired and sore arm before you get the first tree limbed.

Since you insist on trying, be sure to do an undercut on each limb before you make the final cut, otherwise the limb will be more likely to fall in another direction than straight down and may swing back into the ladder or you! Be sure to secure the ladder to the tree or house before you start cutting. Ideally, you should have someone on the ground pulling a rope which you tied to the branch to be sure where it goes! Regardless... make sure there is someone home or that a neighbor is available to check on you periodically.

I've felled hundreds of trees in the past 30 years, and I feel like I know what I'm doing... Do you remember what happened to me when I cut that tree this past spring? frown
It HURT!! Be careful!

#105246 October 7th, 2004 at 01:48 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, my 2 cents worth on this project is... bill is right about the making sure someone is around.

also, if you tie a line around the branch being cut and LOOSELY tie it off to a branch or other tree in the direction you want it to fall. that will direct it. but you have to tie it loosely, not tight. because tight will cause it to snap/spring, and the recoil will hurt you BADLY.

also, if you can reach the top of the tree and cut it out in chunks (stand on the roof?) it is better too since you are a novice at this.

#105247 October 7th, 2004 at 02:33 AM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Jiffy....it is too far from the house to cut from the roof. I like the idea to tie it to another tree.

Okay Bill....I have most of the bottom stuff cut using the pole saw and then extending it way up from the ground and then standing on a free standing ladder further away with the pole saw. Now the next major two sections I just might be able to get down in two big giganto chunks....so far I have been dealing with branches that were at angles ....thank goodness this isn't a brittle kind of tree...these are real soft and when cut they (so far) have just slowly bent down and then I cut the rest of the way after it bends all the way down....it is like slow motion watching it bend.LOL That is a good thing ....you had me so spooked before I went out.LOL But I am determined to take this tree down all by myself. I've trimmed lower branches on older Avocado trees before and they are realllllly brittle.

Okie Dokie ....the next branches are almost straight up....I left several foot width branches attached that I can stand on when I climb the tree......the question is ....when I make the "V" cut on one side which way is a vertical branch supposed to fall ????? Duh
Catlover kit

#105248 October 7th, 2004 at 02:44 AM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Is it supposed to fall toward the V side???? Duh
kit

#105249 October 7th, 2004 at 03:52 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I can't even imagine cutting a tree down without a chainsaw.

I vote with Bill...send him a ticket and let him do it for you! They'll be down in a few MINUTES and you can go have a nice dinner! thumbup

Cindy

#105250 October 7th, 2004 at 04:17 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I strenuously protest the whole idea, but in the interest of your safety and to make your job easier, I sent you the info you wanted via PM.
Brat!
kissies

#105251 October 15th, 2004 at 07:01 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Have a few more ?'s for you all :rolleyes:

*****How do I remove super glue from my bathroom sink? Sure don't want to scratch or take off the paint/porcelin (sp?)?????? Duh Duh
My son was repairing something awhile back over the sink and dropped a few drops of super glue...they are clear but it still bothers me. Anybody know what I can do to remove it or do you think it will eventually just wear off?????

*****A pen leaked in the bottom of my daughter's favorite college book bag....it is one of those boxer bags that flip over the top...the outside is kind of a silky black and the inside is a silky red....now with blue ink on the bottom frown . We tried using some wet soapy paper towels ...it only gets a little out ....but is spreading. Would throwing in the washing machine mess up the inside of my machine?...(don't wanna do that). How do I get it out or is the bag trashed?????? HELP!!!
Catlover

#105252 October 15th, 2004 at 07:05 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Super Glue usually dissolves with acetone. (Finger nail polish remover)

Ink - alcohol (not Jim Beam...RUBBING alcohol)

#105253 October 15th, 2004 at 07:08 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Is the finger nail polish remover going to hurt the sink???? sca

Do I just put the alcohol on a rag or paper towel?????

#105254 October 15th, 2004 at 07:37 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I don't think the acetone will harm the sink, but maybe you could put some in an inconspiscious spot first to make sure.

As for the alcohol...I usually put it on a sponge and squeeze it through whatever the ink is on, with paper towels under it to blot the ink/alcohol up. Change the paper towel under it frequently and make sure you don't get any from the paper towel back on the book bag. My cousin got ink all over her car seat awhile back and FREAKED because she leases the car, so I took a bottle of alcohol, and a bottle of rubbing alcohol, went out to her car and cleaned it right up.. She was amazed and astounded!

#105255 October 16th, 2004 at 09:39 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
AND...if you can swing to have someone with equipment cut the trees down for you...they will also grind the roots! The roots are awful to try to dig up/out. We had 2 trees very close to the house and were gonna "do it ourselves" but...they were just a lot bigger than I am so I had someone come and do it. It was WORTH every penny (and really wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be)and it was wonderful "watching" THEM do it! But...they ground the whole root system out...WHEW!!! I would still be hacking away at it today...and tonight....and tomorrow...and........

#105256 December 19th, 2004 at 06:49 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Here it is Karen!!!
grinnnn

#105257 December 19th, 2004 at 08:21 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
Well I see you had to shut down the whole forum to find it!!! laugh
Thank you!....now I forgot what the heck I was going to ask!ROFL

Oh yeah....
I have a very, very large 6 ft. stickery cactus in a large high fired clay pot. The pot was previously painted by someone else and it looks bad now.(I really don't want to transplant the cactus.) Can I paint the pot while it is planted and what kind of paint do I use????

#105258 December 19th, 2004 at 09:18 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
teech
Let the soil dry completely so that the pot is very dry before you try to paint it.
Clean the painted surfaces, then use a wire brush to lightly scuff the old paint.
Try to use the same type paint that was on there peviously. (Enamel paint will stick much better to latex paint than latex will stick to enamel...)

#105259 December 19th, 2004 at 09:26 PM
The Cheetah!
OP Offline
The Cheetah!
thumbup Thank you very much!

#105260 December 22nd, 2004 at 11:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If you're painting an outdoor pot with acrylic, don't forget to seal it from moisture with varnish or ...what's that clear liquid plastic called...urethane? I seal my indoor pots as well - just in case!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard