This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10473 March 5th, 2003 at 09:56 AM
OP Offline
Heard someone mention in a gardening talk that heirloom tomatoes were more disease resistant than hybrids. Having trouble getting this to make sense to me. Is this true and why? Thanks.

#10474 March 9th, 2003 at 05:29 PM
R
R
Carol5270
As far as I know, that does not generally hold true. Most hybrids have more disease resistance bred into them, usually at the expense of flavor. In one respect though, it may apply. With hybrids, each plant is literally a clone of its neighbor, with exactly the same strengths and weaknesses. If one plant is susceptible or resistant to a pest or disease, they all are! With open pollinated varieties, which heirlooms are, there are varying degrees of resistance in every population. Although, generally more susceptible to diseases, not all will be equally affected. Some may be killed, some damaged, some partially or totally resistant. This diversity is actually their greatest asset as it allows selection for the ones that will perform best in your area. I am growing and saving seed on 18 different kinds of tomatoes, all heirlooms. Actually, I don't grow any hybrids of anything. After you've grown and selected varieties for several generations, you end up with a strain that is very well adapted to your micro-climate, and will out-perform most hybrids, not to mention taste much better. I picked up a book recently called "Breed Your Own Vegetable Varieties" by Carol Deppe. It is much more than a seed-saving book, even covering how to UN-HYBRIDIZE (is that a real word?) the new varieties. It's a gem! As far as I'm concerned, heirlooms and open pollinated is the way to go. Speaking of new varieties, read up on the new genetically modified seed. This is scary!! Genetically Modified Seed
Hope some of this is what you were looking for.
Rick

#10475 March 10th, 2003 at 06:29 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Rick,
Guess you might say that the speaker's staetment was just too simplified. If she had said that given time the heirlooms will become disease resistant in your particular garden through several years of use, then she would have been closer to the truth. I admire those, like you, who will take the time to perfect the plants you want. I have just enough time in life to manage to grow a garden and can or freeze the results. My main interest is flowers so the veggie garden has to suffer sometimes. Thanks so much for your reply. This is making more sense to me now. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard