This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Welllllllllll,
I just got back from the cemetary,
and came back with 17 pots (all pretty good sized one's too!!!), 2 were heavy cement one's like...
Just thrown away in the bin...
Can't beat that, plus another one of those wreath holders for more morning glories..
I got white, pink, several shades of purple and some short dwarf variety of morning glories, I'll be needing them!

Weezie

Sounds like you really made out Weezie:) Congrats muggs I just can't believe the useful stuff that people toss away sometimes.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I like to hit the cemeteries for the pots too! I love the "spring clean-up" days the city has, lots of great stuff,right at the curb! Liked it better when i had a truck though, another thing is that if you want compost material, and say you are single(or eat everything) The stores throw out the produce once a week here, I fattened a piggy up on Dumpster garbage a few years back!

R
OP Offline
R
A whole box in the trash. OH NO! Chrissy that would be great, keep your eyes peeled. I would reimburse your postage for sure.

Last weeks garage sales - a cool baker`s rake in great condition for $5.00, an old pair of hedge shears $1.50 also in beautiful condition, a old Brush pottery plant pot $2.50.

R
OP Offline
R
I never thought about hitting the cemetaries. Do you ask permission or just sneak out there in the dead of night?

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Rue,
I go right after I drop my son off to school, I go say hello to my father, and scope out the two bins, they are huge wooden one's that people and/or the grounds keepers' throw the old dead plants/pots, flower's, wreath's from week old *or so* newly dug graves and it's time for their mowing and all the stuff had been sitting there.
It's free for the taking, usually no one's there, I live in a small town with a small cemetary...
But I have been to one large one in Buffalo, I believe it was called Forrest Lawn, and it was huge, I could have stayed there alllllllll day,
We were there for a long time and found a ba~zillion discarded geraniums (*Pelargoniums) and brought them home and nursed them back to life
with water, imagine that! :rolleyes:
And alot of pots...
The one's I came home with this time were the really big ones, don't find those too often and when I found about 10 big one's I was excited.

I know it sounds funny but I love cemetaries, the old head stones and old names and dates, and the statues *breath taking*. I love to look and see what all the people have done or come up with for ideas... And the flowers!!!! And the trees people have planted, and some have the old bushes, etc that aren't allowed to be planted anymore.....

Anyhow, I just open the bins and it's there..
I think that sometimes they would like it?????
Because it's less they have to empty....
(Plus I take home the dirt too, and throw it in the compost pile, hey my bonus!!!!!!)

Weezie

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I love old cemeteries too ,Weezie. I can spend hours roaming around reading names,imagining what their lives were like,their families,etc. When I was younger I got on a kick about grave rubbings and I would head out with my paper and charcoal. I had some beautiful ones that I framed.
Never thought about checking the bins but I will now thumbup

Karen grinnnn

Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
Hi!
My friend's mom gave me these 3 camera lense things. I've been thinking of getting into a lil photography, and this helps a lot ^.^ 2 are kinda useless to me, but pretty old, and worth a lot of money. They told me to sell those ones, and keep the nice one, which is telescopic, has a large amount of zoom, focus, and filtering capabilities.

One of the other ones has this weird thing where the lense moves to the side, and the other is just a standard 10x zoom lense with manual focus. So with the money i get from those two, i can get a nice old Nikon camera to put the big lense on ^.^

They also wanted me to have this big machine thing... what it is, is this thing that you put regular pictures in. After you put the picture in, it goes through a process of blowing up the picture from a 4x6" to a 8.5x11", which is pretty cool ^.^ But i really don't think i'll have a use for one of those >.o They have 3 of them, and he's keeping one, and giving the other two away. I was told that if i really need it, that i'm welcome to come over and use theirs ^.^ I don't think i'll need it enough to own one lol.

L
L
Hi everyone, first time posting here.

I love trash to treasure items,drive by junk etc. smile

I'm an artist and am always looking for things to paint. I paint on ANYTHING that doesn't move!

I bought a bunch of plants for my very small porch. Apartment living has very limited space. I want to bring all my plants in after the summer, most of them are perenials. I have large glass doors in my livingroom which I think is the perfect spot for winter sun exposure. I was thinking of a baker's rack but I really have to hunt the curbs for that one. Does anyone have any other idea's? Oh I have cats and have to keep my plants high up or they will become a snack!!! eek kit

Thanks

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Someone was removing a deck and I talked them into letting me have ALL the wood thumbup . I see garden benches,more raised beds,pergola,etc! The look on my husbands face when I dragged them home was definately a Kodak moment laugh I come up with the ideas but he has to do the work.(just kidding I'm fairly efficient at using power tools)

Karen grinnnn

S
S
my hubby works in a junk yard, & hes always bring home stuff! we have a craftman lawn tractor. but he just had to bring home another tractor cause it was a INTERNATIONAL laugh .hes brought home lots of stuff. but i LOVE going to the cemetairy & going through there dump pile! thumbup sometimes im shocked at what people through out there grinnnn i guess its just true, one mans trash is another mans tresure wink

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard