This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#104072 December 1st, 2004 at 09:00 AM
I just learned this year that dogs shouldn't have grapes or raisins. They don't all get sick, but there is something in the fruit that can be toxic and cause renal failure.

ASPCA Wrath of Grapes

One of the best places to check out this kind of information is Snopes.com where they acknowledge this is true. Snopes Urban Legend Yes or No

There is also a list of other toxic items on the ASPCA site. I learned that onions are also toxic to dogs--mine wouldn't eat it but I have tried to give them some from time to time. I had also given grapes to at least one Airedale, but fortunately he didn't get sick.

Ann

#104073 December 1st, 2004 at 01:26 PM
My little 9 lb. dog loves chocolate. I had read also that it is fatal to dogs but everytime there's chocolate in the house this little sh@#@$* comes from nowhere and steals it runs away and hides it in his crate. Then he eats the whole thing right through the wrapper! Duh nutz

#104074 December 1st, 2004 at 02:54 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I was baking 12 dozen cookies(sugar cookies) for a halloween party one time. I had just put 2 pans of them to cool on the counter and went to check on the rest of the preparations. When I got back,my lab(who is naturally hyper)had eaten all the cookies on the pans! The poor thing was literally bouncing off the walls for 2 days after that grinnnn

#104075 December 1st, 2004 at 03:17 PM
Like everyone else, Cindy, I have been reading about your adventures with Freckles and have really been enjoying them! laugh You are truly a kind and warm-hearted person to give Freckles a chance for a better life. Keep up the good work.

I have a 4 1/2 month old Jack Russell Terrier who loves Mary Jane's (peanut butter candies). If I am trying to get her to get on the bed with me, all I have to do is open up a Mary Jane and she finds some way to end up where the candy is! Any other time I have to pick her up and help her on the bed. wink Though her official name is Lil' Lady DixieAngel (I call her Angel), she can be somewhat of a demon herself!

Seems like between the dog and the bird, you could make a good living writing books about their adventures. My day officially starts after I read about your latest escapades with the "kids"! Thanks for sharing! wink

Dianna

#104076 December 1st, 2004 at 04:25 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
My day officially starts after I read about your latest escapades with the "kids"!
MY day officially started this morning when I got attacked by Hell Duh

Cindy

#104077 December 1st, 2004 at 04:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lady had been abused when we got her and for about a year she would cower every time she heard her name. She realizes now that we would never harm her and she stands straight,tall and proud thumbup

From what you have said about his previous owners,they were probably mean enough to tease her with food. He sounds like he is used to having food taken away,not given. He is probably scared of being hungry again. You're just gonna have to have patience,it's gonna take awhile for him to trust you.

G-Mom grinnnn

#104078 December 1st, 2004 at 04:40 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
You're just gonna have to have patience,it's gonna take awhile for him to trust you.
That never worked with Andy, but maybe Freckles has a little more sense!
Thank God I just happen to be the most patient person in the world.
It is one of my (many) virtues!

(Listen to me this morning! laugh Too much caffeine?) nutz laugh

#104079 December 1st, 2004 at 04:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
(Listen to me this morning! Too much caffeine?)
laugh laugh

You sound normal to me!!!

laugh laugh

G-Mom grinnnn

#104080 December 1st, 2004 at 05:06 PM
Hey, I'm no hostess, but it looks like this topic is maxed out! Cindy you'll have to start a new one "Hell thumbup laugh

#104081 December 1st, 2004 at 05:08 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Cindy,
Have you ever seen the thing they use at like
SPCA's for when they first take a dog in and find
out what it's nature is and if they would be suitable for kids, etc type families, and/or if they have a problem this thing helps them get used to having people touch their food bowl???

It's a hand on the end of a stick like....
and they put the hand down while it's eating, by it's face, and then touch it's bowl, etc...
Everytime he eats, everytime he gets a treat, etc.
And they eventually get used to someone touching the food or bowl, but not actually taking it away!

Would something like that maybe help???

Weezie

#104082 December 1st, 2004 at 05:28 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I don't know...but it reminded me of the other day when I was vacuuming the living room. I reached down to pick up a pair of shoes from under the coffee table, and almost lost a hand! I had to go get a curtain rod so I could try to drag the shoes away from him and not get bit! He attacked the curtain rod, and would not let go of it! He actually bent it pretty bad!

If I got one of those things, he would probably try to KILL it!

Yesterday he had me in tears, and poor Brennan was on the dining room table for an hour while I tried to get Hell dev Hound outside!

I'm thinking about calling the vet to see if they make some kind of Prozac for mean Cocker Spaniels!

Cindy

#104083 December 1st, 2004 at 06:13 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Thanks Mel for the heads up! thumbup I was so involved in the story I almost forgot!!LOL
Cindy please start a Part 2. and I will later put a link on here for the continuing saga of hell hound dev and Cindy!

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard