This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10374 April 15th, 2003 at 04:27 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I just joined the forum today after browsing the very helpful information...

I am in need of some advice concerning groundcover. I have a space in front of the stone wall in front of my property that is +/- 100' x 4' and fronts the road. I am looking for groundcover that is hardly to at least zone 6, tough and fairly quick spreading. I thought of a Creeping Juniper type, but would like something a little faster growing. Any thoughts????

Thanks
Sonny
Danbury, CT

#10375 April 19th, 2003 at 09:50 AM
L
Liz Offline
L
Groundcover, huh? Are you looking for something that will be evergreen? If so the low growing junipers or heathers may be your best bet. If four season color isn't necessary then crown vetch may be a good choice....

then again there is always the bane of our existance here, creeping charlie (ground ivy) tough as nails and you'll never have to worry about accidentally running it over with the mower, nothing we've found really kills this stuff for long.

~Liz

#10376 April 20th, 2003 at 06:55 AM
C
C
Purple wintercreeper (euonymus coloratus) is green in spring and summer and purple in fall and winter. I don't know about hardiness though, you'd have to check on that.
I also love asiatic (asian) jasmine, but I believe it does better in warmer climates. This plant fills in fast and is green year round.
Best of luck with your gardening.

#10377 April 20th, 2003 at 04:48 PM
Hope you can find something you like besides crown vetch. The state has planted it along the highways here for years and it has become a problem. I have seen none growing withing sight but it has appeared in one of my perennial gardens and I can't get rid of it. It is very invasive! frown

[ April 21, 2003: Message edited by: Carol5270 ]

Link Copied to Clipboard