This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103695 December 26th, 2003 at 11:09 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
As a reminder thumbup
The notification thing really helps keep you informed!!!! flw

cool Nice People take the time to answer your question and that also helps them to know you didn't forget about them answering your question too! cool

Weezie gab

#103696 December 31st, 2003 at 04:12 AM
Thanks weezle13, I was looking for it, but where is it Duh

#103697 December 31st, 2003 at 04:37 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Hi LF from MC,
When you do make a post (question)
At the very end of your post,
scroll down to the bottom..........
**before you hit the reply button**

To Options:
The first catacory you come to is:
Click the Email Notification..................

Email Notification: emails sent to you whenever someone replies.

Show Signature: include your profile signature.

Disable smilies in this post.

Close Topic

Let me know if this helps or you need any
more help!!!
By clicking that button, it helps you to know
when someone answers your post................
Weezie

#103698 December 31st, 2003 at 05:37 AM
Me again Weezie, I clicked on the Option button, but all that I see there, is for serching, and not "Click the Email Notification" I don't see that at all, but that's not surprising, it could be looking me in the face, and still wouldn't see it shocked

#103699 December 31st, 2003 at 05:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hello, I believe I know what happened....when you just post something to a topic that is already formed you don't have the option to be alerted by email....that is reserved only for when you create a new topic.....when you create a new topic, if you scroll down under the graemlins(smiley faces) you'll see the options....one of them there is to be notified if someone responds to your topic.....hope this helped...and by the way, if you want to look for it just click on create new topic and check it out....you can always just click on your back button and not post anything.....just to get a peek.... wavey

#103700 December 31st, 2003 at 06:04 AM
Thanks loz, that's what it was, you only have it when you post a new Topic...

Disable smilies in this post.

Thanks abunch
Lorraine

#103701 December 31st, 2003 at 06:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not a problem lorraine, glad I could help you out.........Hope to get to know you better!!! wavey smile

Laura

#103702 January 8th, 2004 at 08:03 AM
A
A
Weezie - this may belong in another discussion, but your posts here raised an issue about which I've curious for a while:

How do you keep track of all the discussions in which you're involved? You may have started some topics, and become involved in others halfway through. The former can be tracked through the email notification system you mention above, but what about the rest?

Does a member have an option which they can toggle on or off, allowing them to receive immediate updates or daily summaries of the status of discussions in which they are involved? If I start 3 separate topics, and also become involved in 7 other separate discussions, begun by another member, I would LOVE a way to check into the status of all these discussions, to know if my latest post has been replied to, without having to visit every single discussion unnecessarily. It would permit me to get more efficiently involved in far more discussions, as well as free up server bandwidth on the site, as members will be able to check in much more efficiently, using less time on the site!

Thoughts? idea

#103703 January 8th, 2004 at 05:56 PM
P
P
Nicholas, while waiting for Weezie's reply...

This may or may not be want you want, but, if you do Forum Search using your member number, you could see subjects/topics you posted.

Before, it gives you a list of all the discussions you were involved in chronological order and the subjects/topics they were posted in.

Now, you have to select a subject/topic and it gives you a list of the discussions in that particular subject/topic, also in chronological order.

#103704 January 8th, 2004 at 06:32 PM
A
A
Thanks Papito, this may be the answer I was looking for. I tried it out, and it did take me where I wanted to go. However, it doesn't let you know whether someone has already replied to your latest posting(s) or not, which is the feature I was hoping might be available...Thanks for this tip, though!

#103705 January 8th, 2004 at 07:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
nicholas, when you post a new new item, check the box for email notification of any replies. that works.

#103706 January 8th, 2004 at 09:29 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
wavey Hi Nicholas wavey
I have to snicker! Keep track of the posts.... laugh
Well, for my own personal habits,
because I yak and yak and yak (or get the Weezie's, as we hostess girls have affectionately been calling it) I open everyone, because I yak on everyones posts!!!
And then to boot, we get off subject soooooooooo many times around here, tehetehe, who would do a thing like that, get side tracked, I am a focused person... and I talk about that and only that, what were we talking about and what was your question???
Just kidding... Somedays it's hard for me to keep it all straight, and I do understand what you are asking!!!
Papito gave you a good hint, Duh
Or if I think of anything or someone posts a suggestions too!!!

Weezie

Did I help any Nicholas, or confuse you more??

#103707 January 9th, 2004 at 12:55 AM
A
A
You made perfect sense, weezie, which frightens me...

Here's my suggestion, and perhaps we should transfer it over to the "Constructive criticism" folder...:

Members of listservs who carry on discussions with one another, have the option, in many services, to select whether they want one of 3 options:

1 - receive email copies of any posts in their discussion group, the moment they are posted.

2 - receive a daily or weekly or monthly email digest (collection) of all the posts in a particular group (I guess this is three separate options, making the total number of options 5, but who's counting)

3 - Opt to review new posts ONLY via the site.

While these options are great, I wouldn't want to discourage regular "checking in", so I recommend the following options for this site:

EITHER, receive a weekly digest of all posts in a discussion group to which you subscribed (subscription is automatic as soon as you start a new group, or post a reply in an old discussion group).

OR opt to only access new postings via the websites, in which case, you should be able to do a forum search, refined by the following criteria - "only show those groups that have updated since my last visit".

Am I making sense?

#103708 January 9th, 2004 at 01:03 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I can't help you allthumbs but I really have to laugh at your last posting...first sentence! laugh laugh laugh Scary thought isn't it!!!! laugh Weezie I am just joking!!!! I'm laughing WITH you, not at you!!!! thumbup

#103709 January 9th, 2004 at 02:53 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
I was laughing too!! thumbup
I'll post back in a bit!!
But I just had to leave a laugh
at the first line too!!!
Be back!!
Weezie

#103710 January 9th, 2004 at 02:03 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Nicholas,
You said,
You made perfect sense, weezie, which frightens me...
Now, could you just tell that to my husband? I've been trying to tell him that for years..... laugh J/K

Bill's back, maybe he might be able to give us another suggestion, I really am a computer nit~wit *as Karen calls it* I'm not sure of all the bells and whistles available......

The one option that I did like with this site is that most everyone gets involved in all the postings, and to me I think that's what makes this place alot more special, (**is that a sentence?**) is everyone joining in on the fun!
When I first started looking at plant info on the internet, that's one thing that drew me here, was
connection between the people, and not sooooo far branched out that it was hard to keep track of things.. like when someone asks a question, maybe not pretaining to gardening, that we all join in the quest to help and not just have them localize in one spot...

Maybe Bill will have an idea???? gab

#103711 January 11th, 2004 at 02:36 AM
Glad someone knows what there doing around here shocked .Keeps us on our toes.

#103712 April 6th, 2004 at 04:01 PM
ok~
not sure if this will work. But I was going to try this: make a special place in my bookmark folder, where I could just bookmark my posts and/ or posts I wanted to follow. Then after I log in I can just hop to those pages.

will this work?

~~

#103713 April 6th, 2004 at 06:01 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Fleur-de-ni,
I'm not too sure about the bookmarking part, I'm semi~computer~illerate shocked :rolleyes:
but when you go to reply or post/ at the bottom of it you'll find something that looks like this..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Options

Disable Graemlins in this post.

Close Topic
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just click or check the box that says
Email Notification:, that'll get you an email notification that someone has responded to something you wrote/posted/answered...

Does that make sense???
If not, let me know!!

Weezie
(I do that alot to some of the posts I reply to, to know when someone's replied, helps me alot to zero right in on which one it was, although I read all of them cool )

#103714 April 6th, 2004 at 08:01 PM
weezie

that works! I check the box and I got a note saying you had replied. very simple.

thanks
~ ) kissies

#103715 April 6th, 2004 at 08:54 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Fleur~de~ni
Glad to have helped!! kissies

Anytime us Gardening Hostesses can help,
just let us know, we were all there at
one time or another and we are all still learning!

Keep on posting!!! thumbup thumbup

Weezie

#103716 June 20th, 2004 at 02:38 PM
N
N
hello again,
I have a question, why does everyone have dream gardener, or garden helper under their avatar....I understand the master gardener.
just explain the other...thanks

#103717 June 20th, 2004 at 03:23 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Nicerfarm, wavey
Hello and Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!
As you join the group your first title is Gardener, after you've asked a few questions, your title goes from Gardener to a Garden Helper
and after you've asked a few more questions or helped a fellow gardener, you're on to a Great Gardener..and so on...up the line...
A couple of us girls are the Forum Hostesses,
and we can help direct you to questions and help with answers and summon the Head Gardening Guru here, Bill, and we've given some of our Master Gardener's their own title bars for their work in the MG program, and we even have an oh, I was going to spell it but can't remember, a BUGLADY..
Just a little something extra Bill gave us for being a member here at this Great Cyber Community we have here!

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard