This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103685 November 6th, 2004 at 08:19 AM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone ~

I am often reluctant to discuss spiritual matters because these things are so deeply personal, yet in this instance I don't think it would be quite fair of me if I didn't share with you all what happened to me last year.

As some of you already know, I've been in very poor health since my pregnancy with Maxi and in 2001 (at age 44) I had a quadruple bypass with many really horrific complications. Still, we thought it was worth the long recovery because the grafts were expected to last 20 years. Mine lasted 20 months. No longer a candidate for further open heart surgery, we are all doing whatever we can to gain me enough time to see Maxi raised as old as possible.

Last year, an additional complication of my diabetes caused us to decide it was time to amputate my lower right leg. I hated that decision with all my heart, but it came down to my leg or my life, and so for Maxi, I agreed.

Well, all my on-line friends got quite concerned that if I was hospitalized for longer than the scheduled 13 days, they'd have no way of finding out what was happening. So I created an email list and sent it to my friend Teresa in Oklahoma. The original plan was simple: A local pal would visit me in the hospital then call or email Teresa who would get the word out. It seemed like a reasonable arrangement, especially because I was only expected to be away from home for 13 days. So I hired a professional nanny for Maxi and went off to the hospital trying to trust God as best as possible. I'm a pretty big baby, though, and so one of my sisters drove up here from PA to be with me, and my priest dedicated himself to staying close at hand.

From what I learned later, the surgery went well but the following day I had cardiac arrest twice. Then the next day, Maxi's 8th birthday, I had cardiac arrest twice more and went into respitory failure and slipped into a coma.

Things got very bad from there. The doctors told my family not to expect me to survive or even wake up again. Maxi was brought in to say good-bye. My priest gave me Last Rites. My sisters were planning to fly here to pack up my apartment.

Six weeks later, I woke up, much to the amazement of everyone. I will never forget that first moment of awareness. I was laying there with my eyes closed, listening. I was listening to the sound of people praying and I could recognize individual voices. I slowly turned my head and opened my eyes, fully expecting to see my friends and family gathered. There was no one there. I simply thought: "Oh, they've been with me every step of the way!"

Later on I found out the rest of the story. When things first started going downhill for me, my pal Angel sent a panic email to Teresa who alerted everyone. All these people from all over the world took the situation to their home churches. Literally thousands of people of every description from all manner of faiths who had never even heard of Maxi and I started praying and holding us closely in their love. It was a massive effort.

Recovery was slow and more difficult than I can even explain. After 8 weeks of taking nothing by mouth, I was taught to eat and drink again. I was taught how to roll over, sit up, stand. I learned penmanship once more. The trache was finally removed from my throat and my vocal cords began to heal. I had another heart attack and another cardiac arrest and more surgery. Yet my friends never let go of me once, not once. I was flooded with affection and attention. People really cared, really cared.

On Christmas Eve, I made my first public appearance since the surgery. Some ladies from my church arranged for the wheelchair van to transport me to the evening service. Oh, what rejoicing there was that happy, holy night! I got so many hugs, pats and kisses by everyone in the place, I think I went home a bit bruised by all that loving -- kinda like the Velveteen Rabbit.

I personally do not believe it would have been possible for me to have died six times and been successfully resusitated UNLESS there had been much love and prayers for me. I believe those are the things that sustained Maxi and I through the difficult time.

Because of my friends, many of whom I have never met face-to-face, I feel like the most fortunate woman on earth. In whatever time remains to me, I want to reach out with all I have got and spread this nearly tangible love around, spending it with both hands.

My motto is: "All shall be most well, all manner of things shall be most well."

flw
Merme

#103686 November 6th, 2004 at 06:38 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Merme,
I started to ask you in a PM what the reason was for your amputation, but decided against it, figuring if you wanted to share your history, you would do it in your own time.

I'm glad you feel close enough to us here to share it. I have quite a tragic history that I've thought several times about sharing here, but have never gotten up the nerve. Maybe one of these days.....

I'm so glad you are with us.
And, I hope you are with us for a LOOOOONG time!

kissies
Cindy

#103687 November 6th, 2004 at 07:02 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Cindy ~

You know, what continues to amaze me about all of this is the fact that I could have been that sick just a year ago and am doing so well now!

Yes, my heart is a mess and there is no fix. Yes, I live my life sort of in very small bites. But Maxi has got his joy back. We have a happy routine and some fun and lots of laughter in each day. We are okay.

And yes, we get lots of support because there is much that the child has to cope with that many children do not. Fortunately, he is quite articulate and able to express his thoughts and feelings, which makes it easier for us to provide the help he needs. Everyone in the medical community who is part of our lives back us up 100% in many remarkable ways. We are not alone.

Thank God for friends, tried and true.

Merme

#103688 November 6th, 2004 at 07:33 PM
Meg Offline
Merme, I agree that it's wonderful you felt you could share this with us. I too had wondered what had happened to you, but figured when you were comfortable with it, you'd let us know. I'm so glad you're here today and that Maxi still has his mom.

I came close to losing my mom, just after my first daughter turned a year old. She too was comatose for a month, and had to learn everything all over again. It was not an easy road for her either, so I can relate to your story. Never underestimate the power of prayer, no matter what the person's faith is.

Meg

#103689 November 6th, 2004 at 10:37 PM
I too had wondered what had happened to you, but figured when you were comfortable with it, you'd let us know
Not Me! I was nosy and had to ask, wink Been talking to you a lot , Mary-Ellen , and I admire so so much you're spunk and great attitude thumbup You are truly amazing and I can't wait to come down and move some furniture around for you !

#103690 November 6th, 2004 at 11:05 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Howdy Mel ~ wavey

Personally, I love it that YOU were Little Missy Nosy and just hadda ask! It made me chuckle that all the other ladies were trying to be so polite. laugh

Geez, what a FUN mixure of personalities this forum really is. I'm SO GLAD about the welcome you've all given me, so glad.

Oh I don't know that I have any particular spunk or good spirit, Mel. I think we all have so much to be grateful for each day and yet we all have things we must suffer through. Mine just happens to be my health.

Last spring, after I'd been rehabbing to walk again, Maxi and I decided the time had come for us to try a short walk to the dollar store. It was only two blocks down and two blocks back, but it was further than I'd been able to walk for a very long time. So our plan was to bring the wheelchair along and I would walk/ride as needed. The kid and I used to walk for miles and it is something we badly missed. So this one fine spring day, we set out.

Got about one block away from our house and we came to a broken bit of sidewalk that was terribly uneven. There was no way around it in either direction. I couldn't manage it in the wheelchair or on foot. Indicating that obvious obstacle before me, I told Maxi I thought we were going to have to turn around and go home.

He took me by the hand and said "Believe in yourself, Mary-El Salunek!" using the sweetest voice in the entire world. So sweet. He took my hand and helped me over the mess. We got all the way to the dollar store and back again, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

But so many times I have thought: How could I possibly fail with so much goodwill being given to me?

Day in and day out, things happen to cheer me on my way.

And hopefully all the furniture will be rearranged in the next few weeks, so that when you come down, we can sit and gab our jaws off! and you will have to lift nary an item to make yourself at home. thumbup

Merme

#103691 November 6th, 2004 at 11:14 PM
you will have to lift nary an item to make yourself at home
How about the ole coffee cuppa???? muggs

#103692 November 6th, 2004 at 11:33 PM
Merme Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, by the gallon, Mel, by the gallon!

muggs

Merme

#103693 November 6th, 2004 at 11:52 PM
J
J
Merme, you have been chosen as a special vessel of god.
you must have a special message to spread, although you may not realise it now, your message sends hope to so many people angell
That is a gift which has been given to you. angell .

doreen luv

#103694 November 7th, 2004 at 12:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
merme, we all have our own crosses, and i am glad you are ok with yours. and you know... i didn't even wonder about the whole wheel chair thing, 'cuz i usually just figure such things are just part & parcel of the person using it!! (kinda like hearing aids, walking sticks, and glasses)

now, that's not to say i'm not touched by your story, and yes, i too believe in the power and spirit of prayer. thank you for sharing your first hand experience with the power of it! and more will come your way from here!

Link Copied to Clipboard