This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10310 December 12th, 2003 at 08:12 PM
L
LEP Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Er, I have just rec'd a plant from a well-meaning friend and would really like for this to be the one plant I don't kill through complete ineptitude. No tags, of course, but supposedly it's a ficus. I know what a traditional rubber plant looks like, and this isn't one of those. 2 1/2' tall, four slender main trunks, myriad branches, abundant leaves (glossy rich green, 1" w by 2" l). Also has some bulbous growths on one of the trunks. Anyway, it needs a lot of help if it's going to survive my 'black thumb'. W/o a pic, can anyone give me a clue? LEP

#10311 December 12th, 2003 at 08:42 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LEP, welcome to the garden helper. without a picture, i can't definitely identify your plant, but i do have to tell you, ficus is a very large group of plants. none of which look anything alike! from your description, rather than a ficus elastica (rubber plant) you might have a ficus benjamina (what is commonly referred to as a "ficus" tree due to it's ability to be trained as a potted "mini" tree). here are some links to some pictures so you can see if one of these fit your plant.

ficus benjamina
ficus elastica
ficus lyrata

#10312 December 15th, 2003 at 01:22 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello wavey
Glad to have you here at The Garden Helpers Forum.
We have a few House plant people that cruise through here every so often, and if you'll just sit tight, they'll be through...
Bill, Will Creed, TomR, Boxmonkey, oh, my gosh, can't think of the rest right now,
so, if you'll sit tight someone will help.

Is there any way to get a picture posted,
usually that's a faster way to let our gardeners
see the plants first hand and a quicker analasis.

Welcome aboard again, while, you're waiting, make sure you look around while you're here, we've added lot's of great sections here, Banter Hall and Crafts and Creativities and Hobbies.......
Don't forget if you can answer a question or two for someone else, feel free to do so...

Weezie

#10313 December 15th, 2003 at 04:00 AM
L
LEP Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally posted by Jiffymouse:
LEP, welcome to the garden helper. without a picture, i can't definitely identify your plant, but i do have to tell you, ficus is a very large group of plants. none of which look anything alike! from your description, rather than a ficus elastica (rubber plant) you might have a ficus benjamina (what is commonly referred to as a "ficus" tree due to it's ability to be trained as a potted "mini" tree). here are some links to some pictures so you can see if one of these fit your plant.

ficus benjamina
ficus elastica
ficus lyrata

#10314 December 15th, 2003 at 04:33 AM
L
LEP Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks so much! It looks very much like the picture of ficus benjamina sent by jiffymouse. Now I can study up on it and perhaps keep it alive and (dare I say it)even healthy. There must be a gardener in me somewhere. . . I must say, this is a lovely website.

#10315 December 15th, 2003 at 04:37 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
LEP,
Hope you'll stick around and enjoy the site somemore.....Add anything you'd like in the
new sections....
And if you have anymore questions,
we'll be here!!
Weezie

#10316 December 18th, 2003 at 01:28 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
LEP,

I have written an article on the care of Ficus benjamina that I will gladly e-mail to you (or anyone else), if you like. Just send you request to me at wcreed@HorticultiuralHelp.com.

Link Copied to Clipboard