This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#103042 December 1st, 2004 at 06:55 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I posted something very similiar to this up in the plants forum under Bills Christmas tree info, so someone might want to edit that if you think it needs to be. Anyways....

Yesterday I trimmed my grape vines and had an abundance of vines, so I made 3 wreaths out of it and STILL have leftovers!!! So I think I will make a garland out of it for the large doorway that we have here in the house. I'm just a little unsure of how to attach it to the doorway. I don't want to ruin the molding by putting holes in it. The molding was all hand-made by the previous owner! Also, any decoration ideas for it?? I'm planning on putting white lights on it. I tend to like more traditional Christmas decorations. Anyone have ideas?? Also, any ideas for other parts of my house?? Click on my webshots link below and then go to the "house" folder on the 2nd page to get a look of what the doorway looks like now. Its pretty big!

#103043 December 1st, 2004 at 07:10 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I'm just a little unsure of how to attach it to the doorway. I don't want to ruin the molding by putting holes in it.
I'm sure you've seen advertisements for those hooks, etc. that can hold heavy stuff, but you can take them down just by pulling out some kind of putty stuff.
Man, what are those things called? Duh
The advertisements are constantly on T.V. this time of year!

Anyway, I've used them, and they work like a charm!
They are in the department at Wal-Mart like where the masking tape, glue, hooks, etc. are.

What are they called??? eek Duh laugh nutz

Oh, well......they work, whatever they are!

Cindy

#103044 December 1st, 2004 at 07:15 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah! I know what your talking about! Those things actually work?? I'll keep that in mind. Any ideas using things that I probably have around the house? I won't be able to get out shopping until tomorrow (tomorrow is payday)?

#103045 December 1st, 2004 at 08:33 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, so after nearly blowing away, I've got 2 lengths of vines that are twisted and twined together. The one is about 18 feet long and the other is probably around 22 feet long. My mom gave me a good idea. She said to nail brads or finishing nails into the top of the molding so that you can't see the holes when the nails are taken out. The garland should only need to be supported in 3 places in the top of the doorway.

Any ideas how to decorate it?? Duh

#103046 December 1st, 2004 at 09:00 PM
Hey you guys! That stuff's called Command Adhesive, made by 3M. I had some here in my drawer next to the 'puter. I've used it to hang lights around the top of my living room walls.

I use brads nailed into the top of the door frames, here. In fact, I leave them up all year and they're all but invisible.

How about spraying some pine cones gold or silver and wiring them into the vines?

#103047 December 1st, 2004 at 09:13 PM
Along with the pretty pine cones that have been suggested, how about some tiny white lights? and maybe some lush, dark green ribboning?

Merme

#103048 December 2nd, 2004 at 05:46 PM
I decided yesterday was the day I was going to get my tree. It was raining and the wind was gusting 40-50 MPH as I drove into town. I didn't think it was that bad when I left the house , but on the highway it was blowing me around. First I decided to go get the oil changed in the truck. Everything went well there, the guys were all cheery and well-wishing (and sold me extra filter and topped off the coolant) . After leaving there I thought maybe it wasn't the best day to be out looking at trees. I can never buy at the first place I go, usually have to visit 3 or 4 different vendors. But today was the day and I was determined to go home with the tree. I slowed down at one place and it didn't look like anyone was there, moved on. Stopped at the next place and looked around for awhile and nobody was there and I was about to leave when a man came out of the trailer. I pulled my hood tighter as the rain came down and the wind swirled around us. I told him I had found the perfect tree and he smiled. I said , "But I haven't gone anywhere else yet" and he said, "On a day like today I wouldn't want to." That's just what I was thinking so I showed him which one I had fallen in love with. We both stood there for a few minutes admiring the tree."It's got a nice blue color" , "It branches out nicely" ,"I like the trunk,not too thick" and then I said "How much?" and he says, "$30-" and I say , "Perfect, that's my budget" and then he asks if he can trim a couple inches off the trunk for me and I'm grateful as he goes to get his chainsaw. I remember last year struggling to do this with a old, dull, rusty handsaw. He tells me that he just got off the phone with his wife and wondered what the heck he was doing out here, nobody in their right mind would be out buying a tree in this weather! I chuckle and he carefully puts the tree into my Bronco and I give him $35- and he actually tries to give back my tip! But I insist and thank him again. So I drive home with the radio cranked up - J. Giles and Elton John - and my oils been changed and the world is wonderful! When I pull in the driveway I realize............. [Linked Image]

How will I get this thing (almost 8' tall) into the house. And even that goes smoothly........
[Linked Image]

So now what ?? After a little struggle, I get it up and don't need anyone to do this !!! I was so afraid I wouldn't be able to and Merme, if you need me to, I can come down and do yours too!! thumbup
[Linked Image]

It smells wonderful in here!

#103049 December 2nd, 2004 at 06:16 PM
What a nice offer, Mel!

The timing might be perfect, too. On Saturday some friends are coming from Auburn to finish cleaning this place and rearrange the furniture. They will also unearth the artificial tree for me, though not get it up yet.

And yes, this year I am breaking all my own rules and putting up an artificial tree. Last year, we didn't even have a tree, we had a fiber optic decoration. So this is one step better, one bit closer to normal. Duh

Merme

#103050 December 2nd, 2004 at 06:41 PM
wavey Hi Merme,
Well if cutting out shapes for glueing Christmas trees to paper and adding ornaments count we are doing that on Sat with the little ones-- I am making a turkey dinner then for all of us- want those leftovers...LOL.
I am starting on the couch blanket for my future SIL- maybe Sun.... cleaning carpet today before I start decorating- Dd rented the big machine so we are splitting the cost and I am doing that today - it is cold but have the heater on so it will dry.. she just called and she is on her way so better get myself into the shower! Lazy today so far...

#103051 December 2nd, 2004 at 06:49 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
up to our elbows in glitter, macaroni
That sounds like me cooking supper! laugh

cindy

#103052 December 2nd, 2004 at 07:04 PM
And why, oh why, Bill, did you HAVE to put that Countdown-To-Christmas clock up? It gives me the heebeejeebees every time I see it and then I post fast and make a mad dash back to the glitter pots and yarn baskets and macaroni...

Gotta get "dinner ready" as Cindy remarked!

I'd just like to know. Duh

Merme

#103053 December 2nd, 2004 at 07:34 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
It's part of his plan to drive the ones of us here that are half-crazy already, totally over the edge! sca

It entertains him, I suppose! laugh

Cindy

#103054 December 2nd, 2004 at 07:42 PM
laugh the minute part is what gets me, I'm like ??? 9 minutes shk

then I realize I still have 20 something days left laugh

#103055 December 2nd, 2004 at 08:10 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
the minute part is what gets me, I'm like ??? 9 minutes
laugh I KNOW! laugh laugh laugh

#103056 December 3rd, 2004 at 05:43 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
And why, oh why, Bill, did you HAVE to put that Countdown-To-Christmas clock up?
There is a vendor at the market that has a big dry erase board on his wall. It says "Only 11 market days until Christmas!!!" shk shk

And you think Bill's countdown is bad!!!

#103057 December 3rd, 2004 at 05:49 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
NOT ANYMORE!

#103058 December 3rd, 2004 at 05:55 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
laugh laugh laugh laugh

#103059 December 3rd, 2004 at 05:58 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
You don't have to worry about the countdown anymore... its gone for good!

#103060 December 3rd, 2004 at 09:11 AM
OH, Bill! Speaking only for myself, but my comments about the counydown were in jest! Now I feel bad. sca

#103061 December 3rd, 2004 at 03:40 PM
I knew something was different this morning.

I really thought it was fun. wink

#103062 December 3rd, 2004 at 03:57 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh!! We were just poking fun!! You can put it back, can't you? I liked it up there!!

#103063 December 3rd, 2004 at 08:12 PM
Gosh, I wish I had the technology to take and post photos over the computer. I'm completely enraptured over the adorable hat, mitten and scarf set I crocheted for Maxi as a Christmas Surprise and I'd love for all of you to see him in it after Christmas....

The kid is thrilled by anything patriotic, so I simply used basic patterns and adjusted the colors for the American Flag motif. The blue field on the crown of the hat has a white star on top, the main body of the hat is white, with the lower edge and roll up cuff brim in red. The mittens have red and white striped cuffs, while the hands are blue with the star on the backs. I made the scarf red and white in vertical stripes and then at one end added the blue field with big stars on it. I'm so pleased with how it turned out and I know he will love it completely. Wish I could show you all a peek of the kid.

Merme

#103064 December 3rd, 2004 at 10:06 PM
So Bill, we have days, we have hours, we have minutes. Now I want to know where be those seconds?! Duh

I have a funny feeling I will be popping wheelies and leaving skidmarks up until the last split second before the bells ring on Christmas Morn. laugh laugh

I'm counting on you, kid. thumbup

Moving at the speed of light, fingers flying. I remain,

Merme

#103065 December 4th, 2004 at 12:53 AM
Merme, I'll bring the camera!! wink I'll PM or call you Sunday to make plans! thumbup

#103066 December 7th, 2004 at 06:46 AM
Cindy's Cuz
Cindy's Cuz
Yes, Bill's countdown freaks me out as well. It makes me wonder.... If I only have 19 days til christmas... That means that once I get my tree up and decorated, along with the rest of the house (which will take several days probably), then I will only have a little over a week to sit back and enjoy it... Why even bother? Duh

But I think that I will do it anyway, if Cindy will come and help me, like I've been BEGGING her to do. grinnnn

Cindy, PLEASE...................!

Your most favorite cousin... angell

Les

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard