This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#102480 January 30th, 2004 at 05:11 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone, As I write this the outdoor temp is reading -17 with a wind chill of about-39!I'm dreaming of my garden and wearing out the pages of the seed catalogs.So glad to find a fun site like this,and other people who are as passionate and crazy about their garden as I am.I have an unusual garden in that it is all on slope ground and good sunlight is only about 30% of it.When we purchased our home 10 years ago, my mother shook her head and said I'd never be able to have a garden.
Well thankfully I've amazed her and everbody and
am being asked to show my garden in our areas annual garden tour, but I am still declining as I still have many things I still wish to accomplish.
So dont ever let anyone tell you a gardens not possible,us gardeners see the possibilities whenever we look at the ground,RIGHT?

#102481 January 30th, 2004 at 01:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Shamarian, wavey
Fellow Minnesotan's here, where abouts you located?? You Betcha' it's cold, I have -20 for a temp right now! Well as Weezie stated, join in have fun, I am an exp. gardener(outlaw Master Gardener), and Laura is a novice, she knows her houseplants. Ask us anything here at this site, Stay Warm wavey

#102482 January 31st, 2004 at 02:30 AM
OP Offline
Wow, thanks everyone for the nice welcome and it looks as if us Minnesotans are not too far from each other,I'm 50 miles south of Minneapolis so we are indeed sharing the same weather.And thanks on the congrats concerning the garden tour but sometimes I wonder if their just getting hard up for gardens to tour shocked I just like strutting a feather or two if someone tells me it cant be done.
I have a friend of mine thats in the master garden program and I've been waiting to run into her but this is so much easier and more fun.I do have a question already so I'm going to put all that time you've invested to good use.
I absolutely love lilacs in the spring so that was the first flowering shrubs [2 to the exact] that we planted, maybe 8 years ago now.Well I didnt do my homework and planted them under another tree and just learned now this year that they do require sun and that is I'm sure why I havent had on single blossom eek .
So my question is if its possible now to dig them up and move them to a sunnier location without killing them.I've waited soooo long for them to get to the size that they are now and so dont want to buy more if I dont have to.Are they tender Duh ??Will I kill them Duh ?? I know I would get as much root as I could,I'm ready for your expertise garden friends luv

#102483 January 31st, 2004 at 02:42 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
Here's some info to start with...

grinnnn

Moving shrubs

Does that help any?

#102484 January 31st, 2004 at 04:12 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
If you do manage to move them and
would like another lilac to replace
it that may work better for you is a

Miss Kim Korean Lilac
I have one under a huge maple tree, it only gets a tiny bit of morning sun and some sun, past 3:00pm. It's in a spot that's really wet in the spring/fall and dry in the summer,
I have had wonderful luck with it!!!
The flowers are beautiful, can't say much for the smell, it's okay, *my mom loves it* I preferr the regular ones, but it's full of flowers..
Might be a try???

Weezie

#102485 January 31st, 2004 at 05:05 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Barleychown, yes it did help,I think I'm probably going to go for it.And Weezie tell me what you dont like about the smell of the Kim lilac,the reason I love lilacs is their scent, is this one different?

#102486 January 31st, 2004 at 05:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Well, I'm not too sure.... I'm a little sensitive to smells since my last child?? Not sure why???

But the lilacs are a very pretty smell, and this is just a tad~bit different...

My mother absolutely loves cool them, she's over picking off my shrub all the time (she lives next door) So, it could very well be just me, but I don't think they smell the same...

I cool LOVE luv the bush though.........
Tons of blooms, well behaved, I trimmed it up a bit, the last two years I did clip off the dead flower buds, seemed to make it bloom more I guess.

But it's compact, and full of flowers!! I can't complain really!!!

I have two other light~purple lilac's in the back.
and 2 wild white ones on my property....
I would love the dark purple or yellow ones/?
Someday!!!!

Weezie

#102487 January 31st, 2004 at 05:20 AM
AV Queen
AV Queen
I moved a bush following those instuctions...it pouted for a while, but now is looking better than ever! thumbup

One thing, though...he is NOT kidding when he says it will be heavy! My husband was helping me, but right as we got it loose from the ground, he got called for work...

I figured 'hey, the bush is smaller than me, I can move it...' laugh Only by sheer determination did I get it done, and I was soooo sore for days afterwards! And all I did was drag it!

So, make sure you bribe some friends to help you! thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard