This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#102270 January 8th, 2004 at 11:23 PM
OP Offline
hello, I'm Rellie from sunny Southern CA. just bought a house and inherited some plants in the front yard. 2 rose bushes, 2 or 3 birds of paradise, and a couple others I don't know the name of. Not much gardening experience-indoors or out. Did have some success with sunflowers and pumpkins planted with my daughters (ages 2 and 4)... until some critter nibbled away at the pumpkin.

enough for now.

#102271 January 9th, 2004 at 12:04 AM
Welcome Rellie wavey ! I am in So. Cal. too. There are quite a few of us now, Catlover and Daisey are more south, Jillie, JC, and Allthumbs are in LA/ Hollyweird, Michelle is at the beach, and I'm out in cow country, Ontario. We also have quite a few Californians from up north too. We're trying to outnumber the New Yorkers so stick around and join in the fun! There is always someone around who can answer any type of question about gardening, or at least we all try and do lots of research for each other. grinnnn

#102272 January 9th, 2004 at 12:52 AM
Welcome Write2rellie!!! wavey wavey

Are you related to my cat... Roxierellie? J/K
that's one of the affectionate names I call Roxie kissies

Anywho, I am one of those competing New Yorkers wink - not really... Don't mind me - going just a little stir crazy here with our NY freezing temps.

Come and join in the fun and informative postings here. Ask away, and do tell us a little more about how/where you garden?

#102273 January 9th, 2004 at 01:13 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
[Linked Image] Rellie....Welcome to The Garden Helper!

Yeppie wavey

#102274 January 9th, 2004 at 02:18 AM
OP Offline
Wow, fast replies! wink thanks! Bellflower is near Norwalk, it's where the 605, 5, and 91 fwys cross... other surrounding cities are Lakewood and Downey.

I just moved from Fontana, (Oct.) so a big "Moo" wavey shout out to Ontario. My husband works at FOX near Santa Monica, so it cut his commute in half.

As to my gardening experience... it is VERY limited. I'm pretty embarrased to tell, but here goes: killed a few house plants in my time, (mother-in-laws tongue was the only survivor), had a dog eat 7-yes 7- rose bushes, I never could figure out how he avoided the thorns, then the sunflowers and pumpkins last summer. The pumpkin (only 1) was looking good about the size of a large grapefruit and green when I noticed bite marks on it. Kind of like scrapes; maybe a gopher?? Over the next few days it collapsed. I have some pictures of it, but this is my first BB experience, and not sure how to attach.

Now I've got this front yard that's not the nicest on the block, but it is somewhat landscaped, and don't really want to kill what's here.

Rellie

#102275 January 9th, 2004 at 10:45 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey Rellie wavey
Hello there, just wanted to give you an official
Welcome myself.... Day late and a buck short that's me, busy day yesterday and today!!
But I wanted to Welcome you and tell you we all were glad you found us..... And another Californian, well, I can handle it...............
As long as you're as nice as those other Californians we have here, you'll do fine........
We really do have alot of members from your state, and we all get to chatting with them.......
We like weather reports and elements in your surrounding areas.... helps us stay connected!!!!

And as far as your gardening, ask any and all the questions you need to have the gardening bug bite you good!!! We have so much enthusiasm around here, we'll have you a great gardener in no time.
And enjoying it and enjoying the fruits of your labors as a bonus...... We want your plants to thrive......

So, again, glad to have you here.................
Stick around enjoy the site, go to the other sections we've started and jump in...............
Lot's of games, chats, recipes, crafts and hobbies to visit.....Have fun and Happy Gardening!
Weezie

#102276 January 10th, 2004 at 04:45 PM
Late, here, too!

Welcome, Rellie, from one of the Hollyweird gals!
It's great to have another Californian on board. I grew up in Pomona & lived in Ontario for a few years. Two of my daughters were born at Kaiser hospital in Fontana.
Calif is a great place to garden; even in the dead of winter, we can sneak out & play in a little dirt.........

#102277 January 11th, 2004 at 02:45 AM
Welcome Rellie wavey , we'll have you hooked and soon your yard will be full. Green thumbs are contagious you know. laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard