This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10202 February 5th, 2003 at 09:59 AM
D
OP Offline
D
My palm has brown fronds from transplant shock. It has come out of shock and is growing, but what do I do about the fronds that are brown.

#10203 February 5th, 2003 at 02:07 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Outdoors in south Florida the Majesty palm can do very well in the landscape. Indoors I have found majesty palms (Ravenea Rivularis) to be difficult. The moisture level in the soil must be constantly moist, but not wet. This can be nearly impossible if the soil mix is not a good one with lots of aeration. If you have any watering lapses with ravena palms, you pay the price with fronds that turn yellow or tips that turn brown. Humidity is not so much of a problem as keeping the roots moist and keeping the spider mites at bay.

Majesty palms must also have a lot of direct sunlight when indoors.

When they are growing vigorously, they require lots of fertilizer, particularly the minor element magnesium. (Stay away from Miracid or any other fertilizer that lowers the pH and prevents the nutrients from being absorbed.) They also require quite a bit of light. . Good luck with it, but don't feel bad if you don't succeed. There are many discount growers and retailers selling these palms because they are cheap to grow in a controlled environment. However, few people are able to keep them looking healthy for a long time.

The professional indoor landscapers that I know have stopped using these palms because they are so problematic. They are cheap and fast growers for discount nurseries to produce. They sell them to discount retail outlets where they attract a lot of interest because buyers think they are getting a lot of plant for the money - until they've had them for a while. Keep your fingers crossed and your expectations low with this plant.

Link Copied to Clipboard