This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#101741 December 18th, 2004 at 07:23 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Today I didn't go to work because I'm a little sick. I went out back to give the bunny water and a head of lettuce and to fill her feed bin like I do everyday. I could see her fur through the screen, but she didn't hop to the screen to look at me like she always does when the door slams. I opened the door and she was laying on her side. Duh I don't know what happend.

#101742 December 18th, 2004 at 07:42 PM
Jenn, that is sad. angell bunny

#101743 December 18th, 2004 at 07:47 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
ters *so sorry*

Cindy

#101744 December 18th, 2004 at 08:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Jenn--so sorry about your little bunny....it's okay to be sad....heck, I cried when my fish died.....I'm sure she's in bunny heaven right now.....

#101745 December 18th, 2004 at 09:27 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
It was just soo weird. I walked through the back door with my head of green leafy lettuce and said "bunny, bunny, lettuce time" and she didn't move. And then I opened the door and she was just laying there in her little doorway that goes between the enclosed part of the hutch and the open part. I called Stephen and told him and he said "because you weren't feeding her???" Apparently he doesn't notice me go outside EVERY DAY to feed her. frown He's digging a hole in the backyard up near our garage when he gets home so we can burry her. Maybe I'll get a new bunny for Christmas. Duh Probably not....but Easter is coming!!! I'll ask for a new one in Easter.

#101746 December 18th, 2004 at 11:59 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry. ters
But don't feel bad. It wasn't your fault- bunnies are made to deal with cold- that's why they have that fur coat. Like someone said, it was probably just her time. ters

#101747 December 19th, 2004 at 06:33 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i'm sorry jenn... kissies i hate when things like that happen... you love an animal and poof, their gone. but... you took good care of her, and i know she is in bunny heaven, just like someone else said...

#101748 December 19th, 2004 at 06:54 AM
I'm sorry.
kissies

Merme

#101749 December 19th, 2004 at 07:12 AM
Hi Jenn! I just re-read my post, and realized it sounded callous. I didn't mean don't be sad- of course you have every right to feel sad. I just meant, I hope you don't feel guilty, becasue there was probably not a thing in the world you could have done differently.

#101750 December 19th, 2004 at 07:47 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
I donno if this'll cheer you up, but you know the whole "reproduction like rabbits" thing? Well we reciently figured out that our friend Phill is *thinks of a way of saying it* with a girl in a very close way :rolleyes:

So ya, Ryan was talking to Phil, who's a short little hobbit type person, cuz he's short *and kinda cute wink * and Ryan goes "Wow, i can't imagine you... I donno, i just never thought our Phill would ever..." and i said "Basically Ryan is saying ur like a bunny ^.^ Too cute to do that"

But ya, i could never own a bunny >.< I beleive bunnies should be immortal, and unable to reproduce! And if someone manages to kill one for food, it'll reappear somewhere else and have just given a clone of itself up for food ^.^

~Phoebe

#101751 December 19th, 2004 at 02:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
grinnnn

#101752 December 19th, 2004 at 05:39 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Ahhh Jenn I am soo sorry to hear about miss bunny. kissies
What color was she? I went to the pound awhile back....geesh...way back...it was after Easter and they had sooo many little guys I wanted to adopt. I really want to get a little dwarf himalyan (sp?) type....they resemble the siamese with longer fur.

I need to do some reading up on care of rabbits first. I would like to get two so they aren't lonely....I believe they neuter them first before releasing from the pound. Is it better to put one of each sex together or two males or 2 females. Has anyone experienced whether the males or females are more cuddly with humans???

What type of bunny are you going to get Jenn?
kit

#101753 December 19th, 2004 at 06:23 PM
J
J
Jenn, l know exactly how you feel, l had the same experience ters
We took a rabbit in from the neighbours, who neglected her our Emily that is. We decided to get another rabbit to keep her company, we bought another hutch so they could get to know one another, we kept the hutches facing each other for a while, apparently lf you put a rabbit in the same hutch as another, you have problems, a bit like territorial ground and they fight.
Anyway Emily and cruella (my 3yr old grandson named her that) got on great for about 18months, then Emily started to get frisky and would not let Cruella alone, she was always on her the whole time.
One day l went to feed them and found poor Cruella dead ters ters ters
l did not have a post mortem on her, but when l spoke to the vet, he said(she most probably died of a broken spine) there was no other reason ters She was full of life the night before.
We still have Emily would you believe she is now 10yrs old.
We never got another bunny to keep her company.
Just an experience l wanted to share with you, and know full well how you feel.
luv Doreen.

#101754 December 19th, 2004 at 08:27 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Oh poor thing!! ters
Doreen: Thank you for the heads up....I had no idea rabbits were so territorial....and they were both females? WOW

#101755 December 20th, 2004 at 01:56 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thumper was white and grey....the prettiest bunny. And she was big...bigger than 2 of our cats!

Our hutch is a big one with 2 sides, so if we wanted two bunnies, we could do it. I would just like another bunny like her. If I had a dwarf bunny, I'd want to keep it inside because they are soo small. By the way, did you know you can train a rabbit to use a litter blox...like a cat? I know some people who have done that and let the rabbit roam freely around the house! I couldn't do that...I'm sure a cat would hunt it down and eat it for a snack! kit

#101756 December 20th, 2004 at 03:26 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Jenn, I had two rabbits a loooong time ago that lived in the house. I got them when they were little babies, and just happened to get them when I had a mommy cat nursing a litter of kittens.

One day I couldn't find the little rabbits, and thought the cat had eaten them or something. I went to where the kittens were in Rachel's bedroom...and there was the mommy cat, laying there nursing 5 kittens and two baby rabbits. I have a picture of this somewhere, but probably never find it to post it here. The kittens and rabbits grew up together, and the rabbits thought the mommy cat was their mommy!

The rabbits were litter trained easily.

Cindy

#101757 December 20th, 2004 at 06:19 PM
J
J
Jenn go for lt wavey l have 3friends with house trained rabbits, they are really easily trained, train them the same as a cat.
As for the cat going for lt provided you introduce them when the bunny is young, they treat them just as a kitten.
My Emily never messes indoors, and l did not even have to train her, she automatically went in the litter tray, Jesse my cat that l lost use to just lgnore her.
Go for lt girl, there is plenty of info on the web about house trained rabbits.
Doreen wavey

#101758 December 20th, 2004 at 08:31 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I will! ...maybe not till Easter tho. smile It would be nice to have a bunny again, and it would be more fun with one in the house rather than outside.

#101759 December 20th, 2004 at 09:01 PM
Hey, just a heads up, the problem isn't the litter training as yes, they are easily trained. The problem is that rabbits love to chew wires ! shk and I don't know if there's anything to be done about that. My sis has tried a "house bunny" a couple times and always ruins the phone and computer wires.

#101760 December 20th, 2004 at 10:22 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmmmm....phone wires aren't a problem...we don't have a land line phone. BUT...computer wires, now that's another story! If a bunny chewed through a computer wire, I think we would end up having bunny stew!!! sca Stephen would kill the poor thing!

#101761 December 20th, 2004 at 10:56 PM
My Heart goes out to you. I am alover of animals. I know how the death of one can break your heart. You will be in my thoughts today. Blessed be.

#101762 December 20th, 2004 at 11:37 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Robin. Today and tomorrow are cookie making days and our kitchen window looks out to the yard and the hutch. We haven't gotten to burry the bunny yet because our ground is frozen, so the bunny is still in the hutch so that nothing comes and eats her and I can see her fur. Today was very windy and the wind was blowing her fur around and it looked like she was kind of moving, so I went out to see if maybe I had just not looked at her long enough yesterday, but when I touched her I found that she was frozen, so she's definately gone. I shouldn't have looked. ters

#101763 December 21st, 2004 at 03:21 AM
Hey Jenn. I'll join you in having a hurting heart today. We finally did what we had been trying so hard not to have to do, and had our dear Mr Kitty--Jim-- put to sleep. We cried and held him and petted him all day, and when we went to the vet they let me hold him when he went. He went peacefully and quickly and in the arms of someone who loved him, and though I'm sad, I also feel relieved, because the life he was living wasn't a good one anymore. We buried him in the backyard, and I'm going to plant something there in his memory.
I'm so sorry you can't bury your bunny. It makes it easier to have some closure.

#101764 December 21st, 2004 at 06:40 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I can't even imagine something happening to one of my kitties. As much as I loved the bunny, our cats are our kids....our furbabies. Even Thumbs who I swear is retarded and hates Stephen (just foundout he's part Coon cat which is why he is sooooooo big!!!) I love them all dearly. We had a dog, a standard poodle named Essie. She was my dog. We had to have her put to sleep last year. That was soo horrible. She was 12 years old and I had her since she was 6 weeks old. She was my buddy. As I got older and went to college, she became mom and dad's dog, but she always knew that I was her mommy. I miss her. Mom and dad got a new dog less than a week later because they couldn't stand to live in the house without one. His name is Shadow and he is a standard poodle also...not nearly as smart as Essie was. He gets overly excited way to easily, but he's still a nice dog. He is massive. His head goes up to my waist and when he stands on his hind legs, he is taller than me! I think he weighs in at around 90 pounds now. Essie only ever got to around 70...and she used to sleep in bed with me!! laugh

#101765 December 21st, 2004 at 06:59 PM
Oh, I'm sorry for what you are going through. kissies
Merme

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard