This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100677 November 17th, 2003 at 04:29 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Everyone has tricks to "bargain" shop and I think for me it has become something between a habit and a hobby. so... what are your tricks... (like the day/week/month after Christmas for your Christmas decor)? And what is your VERY best "steal"?!

my personal trick it to watch the clearance racks and ALWAYS check them before I buy something I need. Why pay full price if something that will work is 1/2 (or more) off. The other trick I have is to keep inventory of the bargains I have gotten so that I don't waste my $$$. If I can't use it, I don't buy it!

my current favorite "steal" was the dress I wore at my daughter's wedding. I bought it 3 years ago because it was such a good buy and I needed a formal to wear to a Christmas party later that year. I ended up not going to that party (hubby changed jobs) and the dress was just hanging there. I forgot about it until the dress I bought for the wedding didn't fit, (I lost about 20 lbs after buying the first and before buying the second) but in the time since I bought the intended dress for the wedding, I gained 15 of the 20 back. So... dress 2 didn't fit, it was 2 weeks before the wedding and I was broke. I looked in the closet and saw dress 1, in the size I am currently and decided to wear it.

when I took the tags off, I discovered that I got this $248 designer dress for $37.50!! I hadn't even looked at the tags since I found out I wasn't going to the party! Made my day, and I matched my daughter's step mother perfectly!

so... what is your best tip and best buy????

#100678 November 17th, 2003 at 04:39 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Jiffy,
Know the stores habits, and watch what they do,
Ames used to clear out all the seasonal stuff and
put all of it, on a rack and then mark green and red tags, then mark an additional 10-75% off.
Be there at the right time and you could wipe the rack off for a fraction of it's original cost...
Seasonal items are the best.
Got 4 mini~greenhouses for $12.00....They sell for $40-50.oo....not bad.....

Weezie

Great question, you'll have Loz here pretty soon, she's got it down pat!!!
JC too!

I got my wedding dress from a place going out of business...$800 (ish) dress for $225.00 and everything I'd always wanted in a wedding dress that I thought I'd never be able to afford!!!!

#100679 November 17th, 2003 at 05:17 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I get deals all over the place....Join BMG if you want cheap CD's....you get 12 for the price of 1 with nothing else to ever buy....but I am still a member even though I filled the agreement....I just told them not to send me those stupid reply cards or I would quit....I just bought 1 CD and got 3 for free....you can't beat that....

My walmart has a clearance section and if you look you can find really good deals....there is a garden buggy with wheels and trays in it, it even has a cup holder....it's only 18 bucks on clearance....they had the exact same thing on some online site I was looking at for 60 bucks.....think my hubby is picking it up for me if it isn't gone....

Go to the outlets around you in March when they are marking down all the winter clothes.....you can find some great christmas presents really cheap.....

One thing I have to say, is check your receipts as soon as you get them....many stores overcharge, maybe they don't mark the item down in their system, or maybe they think people won't notice.....I always do....they aren't making extra money off of me....

I've got so many great deals I wouldn't have room to list them all....when ames went out of business I got 4 sterling silver cross necklaces for presents.....they were 3 bucks each...regularly 30....I also got a silver ring for myself that has 4 interchangeable jade balls.....it was 12 bucks, regularly 60.....

The outlet stores are my main shopping spot.....me and my mom save up our money and then take like 300 bucks each....well she is learning from me....we did christmas shopping and I kept telling her she had to check out the clearance first.....she finally caught on....we loaded down her toyota matrix with so many bags....give me 300 bucks and I'll come back with tons of stuff....not just a few things....save up your change...that's what I do all year....then when I start my christmas shopping I use it....you'd be surprise how much I've saved this year...hundreds of dollars just in change.....I can get a decent amount of presents just with the change.... thumbup

#100680 November 19th, 2003 at 04:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hey Weezie....we have a store finally opening up in the old Ames about 5 miles from my house...it's called Peebles.....anyone ever heard of it??? Any good deals??? It's supposed to sell designer clothes..... Duh Me and my mom are going to be the first people there in line tom. to get in....lol You just never know when a store has a grand opening what deals they will have...at out local outlets there was a new store called Home 101....well they had only been open half an hour when we got there and I got 4 pillows, really nice ones, for $1.01. Did I really need pillows....nope, but for that price who could pass it up.....can't wait to get my butt up early and check this store out tom! grinnnn

#100681 November 19th, 2003 at 05:11 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Lucky you Loz,
Nothing's in our Ames yet!!
We miss it, going on it's 2nd
christmas without it!!
We have to drive about 20 minutes now to
go to Wally~World, it was about 5 minutes
for Ames...
Let us know what the store is like!!
Weezie

#100682 November 19th, 2003 at 05:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'll keep you posted tom...I'm ready to fight some people out of my way.....lol It'll be packed....the other 2 ames that were in our area are still empty....it's a shame. I miss them a lot!!! Walmart is now going in our mall....great huh??? Just what we want.....another one. I live about 10 minutes from our super walmart, I'm there almost everyday....live about 25 minutes from the mall.....

#100683 November 19th, 2003 at 06:00 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'm about 50 minutes either direction
to a mall here!! Orchard Park or Olean....
I haven't been shopping in so lonnnnnnnnnng!!
I do still remember what it was like
to walk around the mall with many, many bags,
your arms falling off with pain from the weight of all your packages!! The smell of coffee and cinnamin buns, oh yum!!!
I WANNA GO SHOPPING!!! eek eek eek eek
Weezie

#100684 November 19th, 2003 at 06:03 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
My Serious Skin Care cool line is
on the HSN tomorrow night at
8:00pm (Eastern time)
So, I might be able to buy one
bargain or two there, thumbup luv
Weezie

#100685 November 19th, 2003 at 06:27 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Weezie, if I win the lotto I'll have you brought down here and we'll take a limo to the best stores and go shopping until we have a zillion bags.....that we'll pay someone to carry for us.....lol Actually we did hit the lotto the other day....only 4 numbers out of 6 though....why couldn't it have been just one more..... :p

#100686 November 19th, 2003 at 07:14 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Loz,
Back at~chya!!!
Not too sure of any great places up here.
But I'd love to go to N.Y.C. or Hollywood area!!!
Actually, I'd be happy with the HSN and QVC shopping if I won the lottery!!!

You're on.......
Who ever wins it first, flies the other into town!
Wouldn't that be FUN???????
Weezie

#100687 November 19th, 2003 at 12:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Weezie, if you win how about the amtrak....lol I don't do flying to well.....it's funny you say that about QVC/HSN because I always tell all my friends if we win the lottery I'll have the ultimate shopping spree on there....just call them and tell them to send me one of everything....lol :p I watch all the time and see so many things I'd love!!! You know I'm sure if we did win the lottery and went shopping I'd still be looking for bargains...lol I don't think that will ever not be a part of me!!!! Can't believe I'm up this early....Me and a guest are the only people here this morning.... grinnnn

#100688 November 19th, 2003 at 04:08 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Amtrak it is... thumbup
We can go to the place called
"Mall of America"? Isn't that
where QVC has there regular store???
That would be alot of fun!!
(With NO SHIPPING AND HANDLING)

I'd still be looking for the BAR~GOON'S too!

Weezie

#100689 November 19th, 2003 at 06:13 PM
I've been to the Mall of America! Its in Minnesota, where our corporate HQ happens to be. The mall is right outside of the Twin Cities and right on the way to the town I have to visit. And yes, I believe there is a QVC store. That is one big mall, be prepared to walk for days. grinnnn And go in the spring. Minnesota winters are beyond cold, for some reason I always have to go back in January. sca brrrr

#100690 November 19th, 2003 at 06:23 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Well, Kristen,
We'll have to win that lottery
like this week, thumbup before the cold
settles in....
You coming with us, so we know
where we're going/?????
(We'll have to take Big Boy,
he's from Minn. too!)
I'll pack my bags!!
Weezie

#100691 November 20th, 2003 at 04:51 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Heck, I think they have hotels in the mall there....and amusement parks and all that...if I win we can stay for a few days, right in the mall....lol Kristen you are so lucky...if I lived there I would disappear into the mall and never leave!!!!! Weezie, I have watched them talk to people in the QVC store....we'd have to tell them to put us on TV....lol I was a little disappointed in that new store that opened in the old Ames.....I was one of the first people waiting in line, got in and it there weren't many good bargains.....kind of like the bon-ton if you know what that is....not sure how big of a chain bon-ton is.....It's nice though if you want to buy something that is good quality and you don't want to go the 20 miles to our mall!

#100692 November 20th, 2003 at 05:56 PM
Mall of America is a great place to go! But like GardenGal says, go in the summer not the winter!! They have everything there! Camp Snoopy is the amusement park and they have LegoLand and a Disney Store and FAO Schwartz....can you tell I'm still a kid at heart? LOL!! They also have Bloomingdales, Macy's, etc. And one of my favorites is th Old Farmer's Almanac Store. Haven't been there in awhile, will maybe have to take the grandson soon...soon after winter, that is!

Link Copied to Clipboard