This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100669 November 12th, 2003 at 01:35 AM
OP Offline
Hi all. I found this forum while searching for some new seed packet templates. I am so happy to find a forum where I don't have to pay to be able to post on all the forums. You all sound like a very happy, generous, and talented bunch. thumbup I am looking forward to learning and sharing ideas with you all.

I have been gardening since I was in college (too many years ago to count - I now have a son in college!), and a girl down the hall gave me one coleus leaf to root from her HUGE indoor plant. I was hooked immediately. I have many indoor plants, as well as several outdoor gardens. The only (and biggest) problem is that the deer and woodchucks like my gardens as much as I do, and this past summer was the most frustrating yet! :p I have tried all the sprays and suggestions except for a fence - I am not allowed to install a fence that would be high enough in my village. Oh, well...

I really enjoy reading all your posts and look forward to learning more with you all, and especially enjoy all your links and pictures. Keep up the good work grinnnn

kit Lynne kit (mother to sister calico cats, Roxie and Amber)

#100670 November 12th, 2003 at 04:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi plants 'n Pots!!! I'm so glad that you found the site....it sounds like you'll really like it around here, there is so much great information.....I'm sure weezie will be around to welcome you soon, she is in NY also....and it sounds like you love your cats so I'm sure you'll get along great with Catlover!!!
I love this place and I am on here everyday!! If I don't have any questions I just come and chat, and I hope that you'll do the same!! Glad you found us on your search for new seed packet templates!!!! wavey

#100671 November 12th, 2003 at 04:42 AM
Welcome plants 'n pots! What a cute name! Yes, Bill, "THE" Garden Helper, is a pretty wonderful guy! kissies Even though there's a wealth of info on this site, he doesn't charge a penny for access to it!
Did you find our posts on places to find seed packet templates? We've got a pretty good list, and when some of us stumble across new ones, we let everyone know!
I live in the city, so don't have much of a problem with wildlife in the gardens, I just have a heck of a time explaining to the dogs that "Just because Mommy digs in the dirt, doesn't mean you can too! :rolleyes:
What are some of the plants you grow?

Nikkal

#100672 November 12th, 2003 at 05:11 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey
Yeah, another N.Y.'er!!! thumbup gab

#100673 November 12th, 2003 at 06:30 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hey plants'n pots!

My name is Catlover from Southern Calif......New York huh!!!....I won't hold that against you laugh ....being a kitty lover saved you. Just kidding!

Weezie you are asking for the shot "be nice to Californians"!!! :p Another kitty lover. thumbup

We have a lot of great gardeners here....I'm jealous.....but they are all sooo full of info! We even have a few Master Gardens like Nikkal and Papito thumbup .

Yak away whenever you feel like it ..... more the merrier around here!

Glad to have you onboard! If you open your envelope people will be able to PM you if they would like to speak with you personally. Just a suggestion.

What are Roxie and Ambers age?
kit Catlover kit

#100674 November 12th, 2003 at 08:27 PM
Hi Pots 'n' plants! good to have you here.

I wonder if you could get away with planting a Rugosa Rosebush border around your yard. They grow really, really quickly into a wickedly thorny wall, have sweet single roses in spring, nice yellow color in fall, and fat red rose hips in winter. We planted them along the front of our property to discourage the neighborhood dogs, and it's worked quite well. Maybe it would work with the deer, as well.

#100675 November 12th, 2003 at 09:55 PM
OP Offline
Hi all ~

Thanks for your warm welcome! I'm glad you like my name - I was trying to think of something different, and since plants and pottery are my 2 escapes when I'm totally stressed, I thought it would work. wavey

weezie: I'll have to go over the template sites here again, and see if I have any others. Mostly I've been making my own from a blank template and pictures found on Google, etc.

Catlover: Roxie and Amber were born on St. Patrick's day 2002, so that makes them about 1 1/2 years old. We had been looking for another cat since we had to put our 4 year old "Cookie" black and white cat to sleep because she developed bone marrow cancer very quickly. We found Roxie at a nearby WalMart - her owners said she snuck into their truck when they left their house. They had a litter of 4 at home and their baby was allergic, so they were more than happy to give her to us. When we asked about the others, they gave us directions to their house and we took her sister Amber too! That left 2 male orange and white tiger-striped. They were so glad to be rid of these 2 sweeties, that I wished I could have taken the other 2 also, but these 2 are quite enough. kissies

Bess: I would love to plant a hedge of roses, BUT... the @#$% deer even ate my beautiful old-fashioned roses down to the ground more than once last summer - thorns and all!!! eek THIS IS WAR WITH THEM!!! mad I really wish them no harm, but I also wish for them to go far, far away :p

Well, my daughter's home from school. Catch you all later...

kit Lynne kit

#100676 November 13th, 2003 at 12:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lynne,
A couple of ideas I have heard of that might work with the deer are:

1 - go to your local barber/beauty shop and get a bag of hair to scatter around your prize plants.
2 - if you have some old smelly shoes, try anchoring them around your favorite plants
3 - ditto the above with old shirts or socks (if hubby worked on the car in them and got them all greasy and sweaty, that is absolutely the best!)

about a fence, that won't work. a full grown deer can clear a 6 or 7 foot fence without breaking a sweat. good luck!!

Link Copied to Clipboard