This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100585 September 24th, 2003 at 06:26 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I am so happy to find your site. I have never been a gardner. as a matter of fact some say I have a black thumb.

I am, however on a mission.

3 weeks ago, my Mom passed away. I am, needless to say, devastated.

My Mom was gardner, an amazing gardner. An inspiration to those in her garden club. So now it is my turn.

Mom was able to attract birds, butterflies and critters. Her wildflowers always seemed to be in bloom. I am not sure how she did it.

So I am here to learn about gardening and about a bit of my mother that was always a mystery to me.

Thanks for being here.

#100586 September 24th, 2003 at 06:32 PM
Welcome and condolences,
You will find the information and guidance here that you will need to be a gardener, all given with generosity and love. Keep studying and feel free to ask any questions that you have. We're all here to help.
Was in your lovely state about this time last year and fell in love with crape myrtles. Here's hoping mine will do well.

Keep in touch with us, will you? wavey

#100587 September 24th, 2003 at 06:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So glad to have you here!!! I am very sorry to hear about your loss... wavey

#100588 September 24th, 2003 at 08:11 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
ggggardener so very sorry to hear of your loss. My father passed away as well little over a year ago. It is really hard since we were so close. Found this site right after and they have sure helped me get through the rough times.

Glad to have you on board!!!! muggs I am a newbie gardener as well and learning all the time. We all help each other here....new ideas, how to...just have a good time...recipes etc. Before you know it you will be offering helpful info to others. Watch out it is addicting!!! laugh

FYI If you try and place your questions in the appropriate areas your more likely to get a response sooner. Some people who specialize in those areas stick to them and don't wander to other areas. Just some quick advise.
Yak at ya later kit Catlover kit

#100589 September 25th, 2003 at 04:56 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I never imagined such a warm and quick response. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Mom always said gardners were special people. I guess she was right.

Simply, thank you.

#100590 September 25th, 2003 at 05:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
ggggardener,
I have started a post to you several times today, and words are sometimes not enough, I know what you are going through, my heart truely goes out to you, my dad passed away the very begining of 2001 and only seems like yesterday. He was a grand rock garden maker and could design a rock wall like you wouldn't believe. ( I truely didn't inherit that irish trait!) But my mom lives next door to me after he died and I am now trying my best to give her all the "GARDENING FUN I CAN GIVE HER" She always had to vegetable garden and now, she gets to play with flowers all day.
And is having the time of her life.
I know the day she passes will be the saddest I will ever~ever experience..... She is my best buddy. (Is your dad still here???) I truely can emphasize with you.....
If you are interested in any gardening adventure, do not hestitate to ask!! We love answering questions. We have "Grown" into a very nice gardening group, very nice people and wonderful to bounce ideas off each other and a bit of humor, and alot of excitement for each other's projects or inquiry's.

I have some questions for you,
Is your dad still with you?
Are you head gardener now for your mom's garden??
And the ladies your mom had the club with, are they close to you??? (near by and/or know you??)

please stick around and read a bit, over the winter just keep curling up with some good gardening magazines, get your name on EVERY garden catalog list you can!!!! (The ones you order flowers from, they can give you alot of info, and growing conditions. And if you read one, read ten, or fifty.... You can never read enough, and eventually it becomes second nature.)
If you need any help with a list of those,
let us know!! We'll hook you up with some of our favorite magazines..........

Nikkal one of our memebers is from Tn.,
she is from Memphis, Tn.
Is that close to your area?

Well, stick around, ask away, we'll be looking forward to hearing from you very frequently!!!
spring is coming!!!

What do you want to know first???

Hope any of this info helps!!!
Happy Gardening!!
Weezie gab gab gab

#100591 September 25th, 2003 at 03:41 PM
I
I
i am so sorry for your loss, but what a wonderful way to honor her,we will try to help you learn anyway we can. there is a bunch of real knowledgable forks here so you came to the right place. angell

#100592 September 26th, 2003 at 02:06 AM
Hi ggggardener!
Welcome to the home of the friendliest bunch of gardeners on the web!!! wavey
I'm Nikkal from Memphis, the one Weezie mentioned. Even though we're on opposite sides of the state, and different zones, I'll be glad to help you in anyway I can. Just let me know!

Just an FYI, for some of the best "local" info on anything "garden", call or visit your County Aricultural Extension Service. They can find out anything you need to know about what grows best in your area, plant problems, diseases and pests. The offices are run by UT, and are staffed with very knowledgable people, and it's all free!

If I'm not being too nosey shocked , what county (or town, closest city) do you live in in E TN?
Looking forward to chatting with you.

Nikkal
p.s. As you can see, I tend to write rather long posts (this one is NOTHING grinnnn ) but that's okay here! Bill has even added a pic of Weezie and I to the graemlins! This is us: gab

#100593 September 26th, 2003 at 02:31 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Nikkal,
I've adopted those two as my icons,
I am them to a "T"!!!! grinnnn
I'm both actually, talk to myself all the time!
Right!!
And I always like talking with you Nikkal.
Lot's of good info from you!!!
gab Weezie gab

#100594 September 26th, 2003 at 04:09 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Lets see, where to start... so many questions. :rolleyes:

My Mom's garden is in Maryland, near Cobb Island, her garden club will lovingly tend it and the house plants for now and probably as long as we need them to. Gardners are such caring people.

My Dad passed away 8 years ago at age 61, my Mom was only 67 ... It just doesn't seem fair.

I live in Knoxville, so the UT suggestion should be easy to follow. I never would have thought of that!

Dogs are the 1st issue, but I thought I might start with the Dog-Bane mentioned on another page.

My second issue is the soil here is mostly clay ... and the way our lot is situated the erosion is extensive.

Next I need to know WHEN to plant, are most plants fall or do some like spring.

There is so much to learn.

And a list of good catalogs would be appreciated.

Once again, Thanks

By the way ? what is a crape myrtle??

#100595 September 26th, 2003 at 05:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
ggggarden,
I'll send you some places to go get catalogs in the morning...
Weezie gab

#100596 September 26th, 2003 at 04:08 PM
Hi gggardener!

Here's some info on Crape Myrtles: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/trees/crape_myrtle_varieties.html

They are fabulous late-flowering small trees with gracefully bending thin trunks. I got my first one this year and I am in love with it!

Glad you're here!

#100597 September 27th, 2003 at 03:58 AM
ggggardener -
You live in Knoxville??!! thumbup That's perfect! Check out the following link - it's the perfect place to go to find out exactly what will grow best there, and exactly how to grow it!
Here's the link:

UT Gardens

Nikkal

#100598 September 27th, 2003 at 02:22 PM
G
OP Offline
G
You all are a comfort and inspiration.

Thank you wavey

#100599 October 2nd, 2003 at 12:22 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Welcome to the garden helper, ggggardner! I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Link Copied to Clipboard