This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100453 October 27th, 2003 at 01:49 AM
T
TomR Offline OP
OP Offline
T
This is adpated from a post I made this morning in the houseplant forum.

Hi to all. I live 60 miles or so north of NYC. It's VERY nice here today, 67 degress and windy.

Some of my hobbies:

I've been into astronomy since I was a kid, I have several telescopes. If you or your kid(s) are interested in the night sky check out the Dobsonian reflectors at www.telescope.com that's the Orion telescope center and their Dobs are highly rated amnd very affordable. A 6 or 8 incher should be fine for him/her and you.

I got into ham radio almost 10 years ago, it's a LOT of fun and in 1997 I even talked to an astronaut living on the Russian space station Mir, which was de-orbited a few years ago. I've also made many digital contacts through Mir and even one with a shuttle, STS-78 actually. My web site has more info on ham radio for anyone who's interested.

I indoor AND outdoor garden. Outside I grow all kinds of annuals, some perrenials, bulbs. I plated a few Zebra grasses last week to try out. I have a Wisteria that is awesome in bloom. Indoors I have Orchids, Christmas cactuses, coleus, ZZ plants, Sago palms.

In the winter I spend more time on the radios and astromomy and reading.

That's it for now, nice to be here!

TomR in N.Y.

#100454 October 27th, 2003 at 01:42 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi TomR,

Just wanted to Welcome you to The Garden Helpers Forum!!!! We have a great bunch of gardeners here.
Very knowledgeable, friendly people. We hope that
you will add your voice to the "growing Voices" around here.

Just out of curiosity since you do
outter space/astronomy and gardening,
have you ever gotten into the "when you
should plant by and moons to plant
certain types of crops", maybe things
like in the farmers almanac??? I have
always been fascinated by that too,
never quiet understood it............

Just curious?

Anyways, got lot's more to look at, at your site.
And Tim, my computer man sent me some stuff to look at too!! I'll send some to you if you want.
Very interesting stuff.
He's even got a couple games he plays on the computer for outterspace. Celestial something or other??? I'll have to reask!!

How do you like your Zebra grasses???
Are they nice? Do they spread?
I have often thought about the Pampas grasses,
I think someone has a clump down the street,
but it's way in the back and haven't had the time to ask about it yet because I'm always in a hurry to go where I'm going to stop in and ask about it.
Late for something as usual!!!

Weezie

#100455 October 27th, 2003 at 03:06 PM
T
TomR Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the welcome! I haven't got into the moon gardening thing personally. I know that some people are into it but I've never been interested.

I just got a few Zebra grass plants a few weeks ago so they are new to me. I'll know better next year how they are. These 2 stand about 7 feet high an were in one gallon pots. I want to get ribbon grass as well to try. I hear these aren't too invasive.

I also just bought a Lysimaechia, otherwise called the Gooseneck Loosestrife. The reason I bought it is that the colors of the leaves right now are like FIRE! Orange and reds! During the growing season the leaves are green and the flowers look like goose heads but the fall foliage color is AWESOME!

Thanks again!

Tom

#100456 October 27th, 2003 at 03:16 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The loosestrife can be a big bully in the garden sometimes...*FYI*.... But they are kinda neat with
their nodding heads...I never realized they had fall colors.... must be pretty!!!
I have often wanted to grow the grasses, but semi afraid of seeds and blowing winds replanting them.
I have all types of seed reseeding them selves..
I have a hard time pulling out babies...

Weezie

It's raining really good here today!!!
But expecting it to be nice weather by Friday and Halloween!!!! 50's and lower 60's...
I watch the today show in the morning, and it's funny how your end of the state is always like one day behind ours. We are cold and windy and you've got nice weather, next day I turn it on and you have the cold and windies!!!
Ironic....
Well, the rain is heading in that direction I think!!
Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard