This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100430 September 11th, 2003 at 12:58 PM
OP Offline
Just wanted to introduce myself and thank flower for sending me over here! Looks like a great place to hang out and chat gardening. As you can tell by my name I'm the biggest lily fan around. Have a collection of 34 different types and growing each day!! (Okay, each season... :rolleyes: I also started a perennial garden of about 40 different plants...we'll see how they do over the winter...I'm a wreck already! So I may have lots of questions as the fall progresses!! It's great to be here!!

#100431 September 12th, 2003 at 06:37 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I know I'm going to have to keep my
nurse horror stories down to a minimum!!
LOL!!!
Weezie
Did I ever tell you the only shots I like
are out of a chilled shot glass??? LOL :y<:

#100432 September 12th, 2003 at 10:40 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello Lilyfreak,
I too love lilies, they are one of my all time fav's. I got stargazers, Orientals, Asian's, Orienpets, and Astec's this summer, and ohhhh are they beautiful!!!!!!!!! I'd like those tiger lilies and black lilies, and one other, can't remember right this minute, those are on my wish list.
I don't think you can find a more magnificant flower.

But I'd like to Welcome You to The Garden Helper Forum. Very nice place here, lot's and lot's of great gardeners, very friendly and helpful and knowledgeable......... and a whole lot of fun to chat with. Truely a great bunch, I think you'll find your self right at home here.
And with all these nurses too!!! ~~~~~~~~~
That's alot of fun to have friends to share your plants with Barb...
You two work together????
Weezie
::y: ::y: ::y: ::y: ::y: ::y: ::y: ::y:

#100433 October 23rd, 2003 at 03:43 PM
OP Offline
Hi Weezie....you can still tell those nurse horror stories! I can take it!! laugh

No..me and flower actually don't work together, we met on another gardening board and then discovered we were from the same city and both nurses! I'm hoping to come see her incredible gardens this spring and help and learn though!

Anyway, thanks all for the great welcome!!

#100434 October 23rd, 2003 at 03:48 PM
OP Offline
Weezie, I forgot to add...do you have a LilyNook catalouge?!?!? They are incredible! Here's the website for their online catalouge and you can also get the printed one which is different. I've ordered quite a bit from here and they are fabulous!

http://www.lilynook.mb.ca/

Also here is a link to a photo album of my lilies from this year:

http://community.webshots.com/user/surgnurf

I'd love to see yours...got pics?!?!?!

#100435 October 23rd, 2003 at 04:26 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Oh My Gawd!!!
Hi Lilyfreak, I had to wipe the drool from
my mouth about 4 or 5 times. wavey
and I will get to doing those pictures.
I'd say a winter project but with me it could be in 3 yrs of a winters project.
Weezie

#100436 October 23rd, 2003 at 05:45 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Welcome to The Garden Helper Lilyfreak! wavey
Yippie another nurse kit Catlover

#100437 October 23rd, 2003 at 08:33 PM
OP Offline
Thanks everyone!! I'll have more pics to add to that next spring. I just never get tired of lilies and I'll be over run with them in time I'm sure, but that's a nice problem to deal with I figure!

THE TOURNEQUIT?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?! OMG!!!!!!!!!! That *is* horrible!!!!!!! I can only say that I hope in defense this nurse was run off her feet when this happened. I know L&D can be a truly hectic place. I work surgery myself...it can be just as crazy too.

Anyway, it sure seems there are a lot of nurses on board and it will be great to chat with everyone here! flower said it was a great board and I sure can see that!

#100438 October 23rd, 2003 at 10:14 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
lily,
We have a bunch of nurses,
Karen, flower, Bestorfour, Needles4U,
oh, my gosh, a couple more, I can't think right now...
I like to kid Karen..... wavey grinnnn
She keeps wanting to give me a shot,
but I told her I only like mine
filled with drinkable liquior!! muggs
Of course, I'm sure Karen can accomindate me on that too!!
We have some fun with it!!
Actually, that girl was such a NICE nurse, I didn't have the heart to tell her what she did.
She really went out of her way to be nice and accomindating!! Really..
But some of them, shall I say, needed that
"Be nice to patients needle".

I still can't get over those flowers, VERY NICE!!

Any pointers on them for the Gardeners Chat you'd like to share???? Anything special, or planting tips??

What other flowers do you grow???

Those day lilies are beautiful too.
I have a few, but not many.........

And I will sit down tonight and go to that site you sent me too.. *(I had such a BUSY day today!!)
I am LOOKING FORWARD TO IT TONIGHT!!!

In the spring time, QVC.com has groupings of both of the lilies, and day lilies... And a bunch of other stuff, rasperries, etc. roses collections, blueberries, liliac bushes, butterfly bushes, I could go on and on, but as long as you watch your prices at places around your area and know what you're looking for and the amount, sometimes there is excellent deals there. Keep an eye peeled to it and something may catch your eye. Do you get QVC?
You can log on to it on your computer and call in an order too if you don't have it on your tv!!

gab Weezie gab

#100439 October 25th, 2003 at 10:06 PM
OP Offline
Hmmmmm...no I don't get QVC...but I did check it out on the link. I'll keep my eyes peeled..

No, I don't really have any good tips for lilies. They are basically quite easy to grow as long as you have well drained soil. Hubby built me a raised flower bed just for this purpose. So now I think I have about 40 different lilies and about 40 different perinneals as well. I'm just trying them all out and see what returns for me..but nothing exotic, just proven stuff for zone 3. I'll have to update my list and post it all, including all the lily types.
Did you get to see the lily Nook? They have a beautiful assortment and I love to gaze through their catalogues when I have nothing to do.

Today we got our first touch of snow...I'm not impressed. It's supposed to get warmer again this coming week but for now it's not pretty out there. I was hoping we'd get through Halloween first with some decent weather...then it can snow!

#100440 October 25th, 2003 at 10:09 PM
OP Offline
Catlover! I also wanted to add that I'm a big cat fan too! We have two cats and I love them to bits. We also have a dog, and guinea pig too! Love animals (as long as they're not digging in my flower beds!!!) mad

#100441 October 25th, 2003 at 11:52 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Lilyfreak I am the biggest animal lover. I have always had cats....they have such different personalities. Never had a dog but sure want one. Have to raise the fence before I can do that. :rolleyes: That is funny you should say you have a guinea pig....I watch my nieces 2 guinea pigs maybe for a total of a month and a half every year. They are really into the desert and Lake Powell and love to travel. Sooooo I get the little oinkers to watch. I went to a yard sale and purchased a big rabbit cage and put them in that out under a shade tree. They love it...more room than they usually get. My neice used to show them but has since gone into gymnastics competitions etc. so not enough time for 4-H. My sister keeps wanting to give them to me!!!! laugh I plan on going to the pound here one of these days and getting a rabbit. I am such a sucker when it comes to the pound. Have to take my daughter otherwise I will end up taking the max. # allowed. :rolleyes: Would really love to see pix of your next explosion of lilies. My daughter has already put in her request for the stargazers....and I have seen some that are very similar to those. She will be in 7th heaven. Her birthday is on the 29th of this month and all she wants (besides her new car) is a bouquet of stargazer lilies. kit

#100442 October 26th, 2003 at 07:15 PM
OP Offline
That is so true about cats' personalities! Our first cat is tiny, female and quite anti-social but loves one of my daughters soley. My other daugther wanted to get another cat that she could play with...so we visited the Humane Society and I expected her to be taken in by the kittens..but instead she gravitated to a HUGE tabby cat that purred everytime she went near and would stick his paws out and rest them on her cheeks when she went to see him! I couldn't get over the nature of this cat. We visited a few times to make sure she was happy with her choice and then we bought him. He turned out to be only a year old and had a horribly infected tooth! I still couldn't get over that he was still such a wonderful cat when he was in such pain. The Vet removed the tooth and if it's possible he was even sweeter than before! We've slimmed him out some since he's been here but to me he still seems more like a dog than a cat...always wants to be with us, cuddle and follow us in the yard. Best choice we ever made in a cat!

#100443 October 26th, 2003 at 10:13 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Ohhhh how sweet. I could picture it as I was reading!!!
I have 4 and their personalities are soooo different. 2 are from the pound. One was brought home from a school yard where the kids were kicking it around. mad and the other my son thought was sooo cute that a friend of his was giving away!!!! One wants your attention but can only pet her a couple times then she goes away. One is a major talker and loud...wants to be by herself. One is like a dog and everywhere I go....and I mean everywhere he has to be there. He is sooo jealous of the other cats. If I go inside he goes in...if I go out he goes out. The only place he hasn't gone is IN the shower. The biggest and most ornery is the 1 1/2 year old that is a snuggler at night (well my night is during the day because I work nights)...inbetween unrolling all the toilet paper off the roller and shredding it...opening all my cupboards and open and shutting them to just hear them bang...and opening all the blinds in the morning for me....or when on vacation knocking the 5 gallon fish tank over into the cat litter pan and knocking over a lamp and breaking it in a katrillion pieces...just to name a few. Ohhh and all four like to be at the highest places in the house. On top of this computer corner unit, curio cabinet, china hutch, the huge cat house I got them. Until (my)night time then I have to shift kitties around to find a place to lie down between them all. LOL. One big fur pile on my bed. One even gets mad if I happen to roll over and smoosh a leg. Of course they don't lie down in little rolled up balls they have to be bed hogs and stretch their full length. Yep I am a catlover to say the least to put up with all that!LOL
kit

#100444 October 27th, 2003 at 03:05 AM
OP Offline
That's hilarious! I loved reading about your cats!!
I work nights too...strictly nights as a nurse, seven nights on and then seven off. Hubby works different shifts so it was easier when the kids were small to have me work nights so I could be with the kids when he worked evenings. Now that they are older I need to be around in the evening to taxi them around to all their activites! I'm not complaining though...

#100445 October 27th, 2003 at 05:39 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
OMGoodness my daughter heard a little kitten crying outside the front door last night. Big mistake she opened the door! frown Needless to say SUCKER me we have now adopted another kitty. :rolleyes: Can't see earmites but he keeps shaking his head so have to take to vet for a baby check and possible ear infection. Gave him a flea bath last night! Man I sure hope my daughter finds where this little kitty came from. Have a feeling I now have 5 kitties. kit Now 5 kitty catlover nutz

#100446 October 27th, 2003 at 08:13 PM
OP Offline
laugh too funny.....but I'd be right there with you! I have yet to own a cat that I had as a kitten..like a wee one. Someday..

Well Catlover if you don't find out where this cutie came from you can UPS him over my way..!!

#100447 October 27th, 2003 at 11:05 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
lily......can you believe that snow!

It's like winter out there. I took a couple of pictures....incredible really.

I really have to get out there and get boots for the kids.

#100448 November 5th, 2003 at 02:33 AM
OP Offline
flower! No I can't believe all this snow..!! It's kind of scarey! Makes me think we're in for a long winter at this rate! Oh well...`

Link Copied to Clipboard