This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100292 November 8th, 2003 at 12:00 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hey everybody!
I have decided to try taking up gardening recently, so I'm a little new at it... I just want to say that I greatly appreciate all the information this site has given me so far thumbup and want to thank it's creators! I can't belive the info that has been compiled here...
Anyway, I have a question for you all. I recently recieved a sensitive plant (also called a mimosa pudica I think) and many of its leaves began to yellow lately and it has become extra sensitive. I was wondering if this is just a normal thing it does, or if there are any special needs about it I need to know. Thanks everyone!

the_Duggler teech

#100293 November 8th, 2003 at 01:49 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey The_Duggler, wavey wavey
Welcome to The Garden Helpers Forum!!
We have several members from Canada here,
flower, LilyFreak, JAKE, Limey, Tamara,
that I can think of off the top of my head!!
Welcome aboard!
We're all glad to have you here.
Bill has comprised a small mountain of information here, hasn't he???
Alot of great info for the beginner gardener
all the way up to the master gardener......
something for everyone!!!
We hope you'll stick around and join our
growing garden of members here.
gab Weezie gab
How long ago is recently???
Are you enjoying gardening???
And what do you grow???

I'll bet you Bill can tell you a little bit
about the plant you're asking, I remember him
telling us a story about that particular plant
I believe. I used to have one a long time ago,
but I know I didn't do very good with it, it
was one of my very first plants, (and those poor things are usually learning experiences)

#100294 November 8th, 2003 at 04:48 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hey weezie13,

In response to your questions, I can tell you that I have been gardening (as a serious hobby) since spring, but not very sucessfully. So, I've decided to use the winter to build up my compendium of botanical knowledge. So far I enjoy it, and am most interested in tropical and unusual plants.

I have yet another question though... Often, I see something called a USDA scale on this site, but I'm not sure exactly what it means or which zone Toronto, Canada is located...

Thanks for your help.

the_Duggler teech

#100295 November 8th, 2003 at 09:53 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hello The_Duggler,
I believe what you are referring to is the USDA
scale, is that the zoning thing.????

USDA Zone Plant Hardiness Map

I think it's the zoning map for plant hardiness for the area?????

Like in certain area's it may be warmer or colder and able to withstand different types of plants.
I am a zone 5, you could be any number depending on where you live, most people may think Canada is a cold thumbup

#100296 November 9th, 2003 at 04:59 AM
T
OP Offline
T
weezie13,

Thanks for your help with my USDA problem.
In response to your question, I have been trying to grow many plants, but sadly I'm not quite good enough to keep them all live...
I only have a few outdoor plants that I have been working on, like my Chokecherry bush and a little Sunburst Locust tree. Indoors is where I have my most prized plants though. I have a heated glass-inclosed deck (a like a solarium) where most of my plants are. Some of my favourites in this collection are my 6ft. Ginko Bilboa tree, a 2ft. Diefenbaccia, one large bushy False Aralia and many others like my bamboo shoots and a Pineapple shrub/tree. As I'm sure it is with any gardener, I'm very pround of my collection and only hope it can improve! wink

Caio,
the_Duggler

Link Copied to Clipboard