This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100178 October 12th, 2003 at 10:37 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Once we get all of our crafts!!
We can start to seperate them or such.
I've seen candles, sewing, soaps,
dried herbs and sachets for scents, etc.

And then we can divide them up.

I think come winter we'll be filling this
section up. Lot's to do with summer clean~up yet!!

This looks like alot of fun!!!

Weezie

#100179 October 13th, 2003 at 05:06 PM
Hi Weezie! Just came here from "plants and flowers" forum to see if you had, in fact, posted the how-to of waxing leaves....sure would be interested in seeing how it's done when you have time to post it! I'm sure this section will be FULL this winter with all of us bored :rolleyes: from lack of hands on gardening to do! eek

flw flw flw

#100180 October 13th, 2003 at 05:25 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Glenda,
Sent you an IM!!
Weezie

#100181 October 13th, 2003 at 07:14 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Weezie I am waiting for the wax leaving instructions as well. Duh The leaves are already red and starting to fall!!!!! Right now they are getting mowed and put right back on the surface to add a layer back into the soil (okay I lied the granite grit....that one day WILL BE SOIL!!!). kit Catlover kit

#100182 October 13th, 2003 at 09:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Weezie, I am with catlover. I need that before our brief "fall" disappears!

#100183 October 13th, 2003 at 09:26 PM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
I'm not too crafty, but I make wreaths out of styrofoam and cut-up pieces of material. You'd be surprised at the variety of wreaths you can make.
In the winter, with our dreary days, I love to do jigsaw puzzles. Mostly gardens. zzzzz

#100184 October 22nd, 2003 at 07:23 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Okay,
I went to post this a few times and got side tracked. I was reading something else about
shelacing them too (is that spelled right?)

Put a leaf or two or three and place it between two pieces of wax paper. Cover with an piece of cloth or old towel, (*even a piece of paper from your printer works*) and use an iron, just set it to warm, so it will seal the two pieces of wax paper together. Don't let it burn or scorch the leaf by keeping in one spot too long, keep it (the iron) moving at all times. Allow it to cool at first and then trim around your leaf. Be sure to leave some of the extra waxed paper at the edges, around the leaf so the paper seals.

I've read were you can scrape some crayons in there, I'm not sure, I think it's in the back of the leave, and melt with it all together like a collage...........

Don't forget to do the leaf rubbings too!!

Weezie

Take your leaf and place it between two pieces of wax paper. Cover with an old towel, cloth or piece of paper and use an iron, set to warm, to seal the two pieces of wax paper together. Avoid scorching the leaf by keeping the iron moving at all times. Allow it to cool at first and then trim around your leaf. Be sure to leave a narrow margin around the leaf so the paper stays sealed.

#100185 October 23rd, 2003 at 04:04 PM
flw Thanks Weezie! Do you have any really creative ideas as to what to do with these "waxed" leaves? We have some really pretty leaves right now.

#100186 October 23rd, 2003 at 06:12 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I've done the leaf rubbings with my 4 yr. old niece. She made a little leaf book with about 5 pages and then labeled the book and told a story as she read it to her mom. She has a creative mind. kit

#100187 October 25th, 2003 at 07:38 PM
I wonder if i could get one of these waxed leaves to stick to the outside of a pillar candles?.will have to try this soon.

#100188 October 28th, 2003 at 07:20 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Glenda,
I get side tracked every now and then,
Don't be afraid to yell, HEY!!!!

For the waxed leaves,
I have a neighbor who sends them to her
sister in Florida to remind her of up North
and fall time.

My friend puts them in her windows at a day care she has... (*make sure the window's not a hot one.)

You can also do the placemats that you do with your old Christmas cards, Crafts/ Placemats Scroll about 1/2 way down...
Put them in there and have a cute little homemade place mat for each person..

Just save them in a keepsake box or a hope chest, for a time remembered...
Or glue them to an acid free paper for keeping...

If you're crafty at making center pieces with styrofoam wreaths and candles, they make a lovely addition to the middle of your table
****BUT keep them down far enough from the candle, OBVIOUSLY, so THEY don't burn***

Or just a wreath of them in the fall time on the wall. Styrofoam, cardboard, etc. they have so many varieties out there now adays!!!

Njoynit,
I would imagine you could use them for ORNAMENTAL CANDLES, But not sure for the ones that a person would burn....HATE TO SAY YES, BECAUSE IT IS A BURNABLE MATERIAL!! But if you made ones, just to sit in your corner in a living room or such?????
Would be up to the individuals' own choice......
If I did the candles with the leaves, I'd put the melted wax in and then with a push stick I'd push the leave into it and hold it against the sides for a bit.

Weezie

#100189 October 28th, 2003 at 10:02 PM
Thanks for the ideas, Weezie....now if I can just catch some of those leaves...we have very windy conditions here today...gusts up to 50 mph. Fall is really here! Has turned quite chilly at night, 21 degress yesterday morning when I got up and then it rained all day. We need the moisture, and hey, it could've been snow! Brrrrr! smile

#100190 October 28th, 2003 at 10:20 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
It has been bone chillin' cold here.
Damp, rainy and bitter cold.
Looking forward to the 50" and possible
60's for the next 3 days, before more rain.
I like the rain for the earth, just not
me when I'm doing yard work!
Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard