This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100112 September 29th, 2003 at 03:35 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi all. Glad to be here. I never joined a forum, but this looks like a good place to start.

A little about myself. I'm the mother of two. Both are in college, one graduating this year, the other just beginning. So we're emtpy nesters for the first time.

I've lived on Long Island all my life and love it. We're busy on the East end as well as in the City, so we have the best of both worlds.

I keep busy gardening, working out, reading, loving my kitties and have great friends to hang out with.

Now I have a question. I have several glass jars that I rooted jade in. I wanted to plant them, but when I looked into growing jades, I only found informaiton for dry rooting, nothing about rooting in water. Did I make a mistake? Has anyone started a jade plant that way? Duh

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks kit

#100113 September 29th, 2003 at 06:23 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Well Hello Joanne F., wavey
Welcome to The Garden Helpers Forum!!!
You have picked a very nice forum to join,
We are a bunch of very nice gardeners, and people and family members..... All with a passion for
growing things, whether it be plants, flowers, vegetables and or friendships!!!!
We hope you'll stick around and ask lots' of questions, that's what we're here for......
And for learning new things from other gardeners as well,

We have a few from N.Y.
Yep, me too!!
I'm on the other end though, Western New York!!
But we do have some from your side, luvgardening and Will Creed to name a few off the top of of my head.... But stick around, it takes the gardeners a bit to get around and on.
But glad to have you on board...................

As far as Jade's go, they're pretty easy to grow, just place the leaf on some dirt and just watch those roots grow.... You'll have a good size plant in no time....
I would think you'd be able to take the plant that you started and put it in some dirt, and it would survive, If it were my plant what I'd do is, after I find an approperate pot, with good drainage, I'd put the dirt in and the plant on top and put a saucer underneath it for a SHORT PERIOD OF TIME... and keep the soil alot moister than normal, if the plant rooted in water, as I understand it roots in water eventually can't take up nutrients from dirt, or have a hard time.
But if you kind of give it the same moist conditions for a small amount of time, backing off the water, and or letting it evaporate or such the plant in time will still have it's moist roots and eventually send in new ones that will like the dirt. And then will not have the original water only roots.
Does that make sense, I'm a reader and a doer, and sometimes in translation I get a bit winded!!!
(I told Bill he needs to find me a snoring gremlin to add to my long winded books)

I'm also pretty sure, if you wait a bit, Will Creed will also be through with some advice as well.

Also, If you go to FORUM SEARCH and type in jade
you'll get about 53 of posts that may give you some more info....

Also do a GARDEN SEARCH and type in jade and you'll get some of Bill's info on the site here about growing Hades...

gab Weezie gab

#100114 September 29th, 2003 at 06:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Welcome to the garden helper Joanne! We have a great bunch of friendly folks who all have different ideas, answers, and experiences. Even the most novice gardener can help us with new ideas and information.

To maximize the response to your question, I am going to copy your post to the houseplant section. We have several experts who drop buy there regularly, but will not look anywhere else in the forum. Here is a link to get you there! House plants

#100115 September 30th, 2003 at 07:38 AM
Hi Joanne!

Welcome to The Garden Helper! As you can see, we have some very friendly, very helpful gardeners here!
You live in a beautiful area! I grew up across the Sound from you, in Old Saybrook, CT. I loved it, but being young, I never really appreciated all the special things we had, living on the ocean. I still miss it!
Have the trees started their "fall show" there yet?

Nikkal

#100116 October 4th, 2003 at 06:15 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi Nikkal,

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to you all nice folks, but I've had some trouble getting around but think I figured it out now.

The leaves have just started changing, slightly. I'm sure within the next week they will really get going. We're heading up to Lenox, Mass. next weekend and Oneonta, NY the weekend after that, so we should get quite a show. With the weather conditions this year, we're expecting a spectacular fall.

Is there much of a change in season where you are?

Joanne

#100117 October 4th, 2003 at 06:19 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Welcome....Welcome....Welcome

Remember you have to watch what advise Weezie gives you....you know drain brain and all wavey

#100118 October 4th, 2003 at 06:49 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
grinnnn
Gotta Love Ya Catlover!!!
gab Weezie gab

LOL

Somebodies got to watch me,
GOD gets tired every so often.
>Brain~Drain<
Speaking of Brain~Drain Karen,
What's the flower on Bill's
Mystery flower.
The second one I KNOW< but can't remember....

#100119 October 4th, 2003 at 07:23 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
kit Catlover kit

#100120 October 4th, 2003 at 11:22 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I might suggest, Joanne that you go to your profile page and hit the "delete all cookies from this forum button. You will have to log in again, so you might wanna do it as you are ready to leave.... just in case, but deleting the cookies usually fixes most log in problems.
Let me know if that helps!!!!
Weezie

#100121 October 5th, 2003 at 02:28 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the advise, Weezie. Got on first try this time. It could be me. My fingers often move faster than my brain.

#100122 October 5th, 2003 at 04:51 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's my problem too!!
Same way as I'm a good speller
but a rtoten tpyer!!

Have fun here JoannF..........
Don't forget to look around,
There's several other sections,
Gardeners Chat, Banter Hall,
all sorts of places to check out and read!

We have some great fun here!

Weezie
I gotta go find Karen and get her shots ready!!!

#100123 October 5th, 2003 at 05:35 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Watch Out Weezie right behind you with a BIG NEEDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! full of Be Nice to Nurses serum.
Is this your look right now? kit kit

#100124 October 5th, 2003 at 06:31 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey Weezie grinnnn

#100125 October 9th, 2003 at 02:37 AM
F
F
Hey all, I'm a newbie! I can't wait to begin making new gardening friends. thumbup

flw

#100126 October 9th, 2003 at 04:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Freida it is so nice to have you onboard with us..... wavey I share some of your interests.....reading, crocheting, painting(only with acrylics), and jigsaw puzzles.....Glad to have you here, and I hope that once you see how great this place is and how friendly we all are that you come here all the time!! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard